Cfl Indoor Grow Running Out Of Height What To Do?

• Thread starter Leebone
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

Leebone

This is my first indoor grow and its in a set of drawers thats only a bit over a metre tall and I'm running out of height to raise the lights (as you will see in the pictures) and the tops are almost touching the lights. What should I do?
There are a total of 10 tops at the top of the plant but they are only new shoots about a week old.
The only thing i can think of is to get some greenhouse solarshield plastic to cover the lights and let the tops grow all around it to the very top of the box then super crop all the tops?
I'm now in week 7 of veg and still think I'm a few weeks away from putting her into flower yet..
What do you guys think?

Cfl indoor grow running out of height what to do
Cfl indoor grow running out of height what to do 2
Cfl indoor grow running out of height what to do 3
WS4U

WS4U

Add another cfl, the light only good like 3-4inch away from plant, also pinch the stems to "suppercrop" the plant. Basically mtake the stem between you thumb and index finger and just crunch the stem. The top will droop down slowing the upper growth and plant will be healed up soon, she looks really healthy

BlackSheepOG

BlackSheepOG

Super crop the shit out of her and add 2-3 more lights and flip her or you're really not gonna have room. I've found with cfls the goal is to keep them small and bushy and bulbs as close as you can or they just aren't effective. If you have a fan going across them you can literally have the plant with .5-1" away.

This is what I'd do and did do when I very first started. Yea I started with cfls and then to a 250 and then 600s and then 1ks and now I wanna do LEC. Best of luck to yea!

WS4U

WS4U

Y
Super crop the shit out of her and add 2-3 more lights and flip her or you're really not gonna have room. I've found with cfls the goal is to keep them small and bushy and bulbs as close as you can or they just aren't effective. If you have a fan going across them you can literally have the plant with .5-1" away.

This is what I'd do and did do when I very first started. Yea I started with cfls and then to a 250 and then 600s and then 1ks and now I wanna do LEC. Best of luck to yea!
Years ago i rocked over a dozen cfls lol they work just gotta know how to use them. I went from cfl straight to led because i liked the low heat from the leds compard to the hps. Heat is a big issue to me since i grow in dwc only.

L

Leebone

Yep, add more light and supercrop that bitch!

She's ready to flip if this is all the space you have, too.
Do you think its ready to supercrop already some of the tops only have three nodes if so what node do i crop it at?
And what do you mean by flip it are you talking about into flower?

L

Leebone

Add another cfl, the light only good like 3-4inch away from plant, also pinch the stems to "suppercrop" the plant. Basically mtake the stem between you thumb and index finger and just crunch the stem. The top will droop down slowing the upper growth and plant will be healed up soon, she looks really healthy
How long after this should i put it into flower?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Do you think its ready to supercrop already some of the tops only have three nodes if so what node do i crop it at?
And what do you mean by flip it are you talking about into flower?
Based on your available space in relation to the plant and knowing how much some strains can stretch after flipping into flower (yes, putting it on 12/12 or 11/14 or however you choose to flip it), yes, I think it's ready. I'd pinch at *least* 6" down, unless the stems are too woody, then you're going to have to combine tying her down and supercropping to keep her low.
How long after this should i put it into flower?
IMO, immediately. She can possibly double her height once flipped into flower. You just don't have that kinda room.

organix4207

organix4207

U agree with everyone about topping , or supercropping. I'd also look into some 24" t5 ho's for that dresser drawer set up. Is that lined with mylar or aluminum foil ?

L

Leebone

Based on your available space in relation to the plant and knowing how much some strains can stretch after flipping into flower (yes, putting it on 12/12 or 11/14 or however you choose to flip it), yes, I think it's ready. I'd pinch at *least* 6" down, unless the stems are too woody, then you're going to have to combine tying her down and supercropping to keep her low.

IMO, immediately. She can possibly double her height once flipped into flower. You just don't have that kinda room.
Most of the top ones are only just over 6 inch do i really crop them that low to the main stalk?

L

Leebone

U agree with everyone about topping , or supercropping. I'd also look into some 24" t5 ho's for that dresser drawer set up. Is that lined with mylar or aluminum foil ?
Yeah i want to get some just doing it on the cheap for the first time and see how it goes and yeah its just lined with aluminum foil mate

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Most of the top ones are only just over 6 inch do i really crop them that low to the main stalk?
Really? That plant you showed looks a good bit bigger than a measly little 6". That's the plant I'm working with when I'm giving recommendations.

L

Leebone

I've also got this little one in there aswell its actually only a few days behind the other one but for some reason just never took off. Do you think i should put her into flower aswell or put her outside? I think if i put it outside it would go into flower aswell as the days are less than 18hrs
Really? That plant you showed looks a good bit bigger than a measly little 6". That's the plant I'm working with when I'm giving recommendations.
The side tops are longer but the 6 at the very top are only just over 6 inches long. Are you meaning to super crop the main stalk? Because id be a bit worried id stuff it up.
So you would recommend cropping the whole plant as well as the tops or just the main stalk?
I only fimed it about a week and a half go to get all those tops now they don't seem to be getting any taller they have been that hight for almost a week now

Last edited:
WS4U

WS4U

Should give u lil room, shes deffinitley bug enough for flower. If you can set the pot on somethin to make it taller so that the cfl is 3-4" away. Way back when i used cfls id even have ppants growing into bulbs cause i kept lights so close.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I've also got this little one in there aswell its actually only a few days behind the other one but for some reason just never took off. Do you think i should put her into flower aswell or put her outside? I think if i put it outside it would go into flower aswell as the days are less than 18hrs
I have found that adding 1hr of darkness can flip a plant into flower, but I haven't tried it with all strains so it may be somewhat strain dependent. For simplicity sake, I would go ahead and flip the other one as well, just do them all. This is your first grow, you're going to make mistakes, but they're all going to teach you quite a bit. It's ok, as long as you don't kill it, it'll grow back. Like hair!
I
The side tops are longer but the 6 at the very top are only just over 6 inches long. Are you meaning to super crop the main stalk? Because id be a bit worried id stuff it up.
So you would recommend cropping the whole plant as well as the tops or just the main stalk?
I only fimed it about a week and a half go to get all those tops now they don't seem to be getting any taller they have been that hight for almost a week now
Wow, those pix are deceiving, the plant looks to be at least a foot tall and for SOG that's when I flip. When I crop for a SOG (aka sea of green) I literally take a ruler and everything above 12" gets cut or cropped (since it's a SOG I usually just cut it off).

Top Bottom