CFL vs HPS

• Thread starter Indianche
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

Indianche

Ok so heres the deal ,I still haven't made up my mind about the light I'll get for my Homebox XL ,now people have told me different things like : buy a 400W hps ,250W hps ,2 CFL one warm and one cold 125W lamps so I was wondering what would be the best to do ? Thanks for the help,appreciate it ! :yes

P

poutpup07

go with....

what you personally can afford to run....i know a 400 watt light raises my electricity bill by about $40/$45 a month when i run it 18 / 24 hrs a day. so whatever that converts to in ...well whereever you are is what you will be looking at.....if you cant afford that or arent sure growing is absolutley what you want to do than do not invest all the money and energy into getting it.....go with the cfls or the 250 2 cfls prolly cost about the same as a 250 but on your electric bill there could be a small differance...it depends on what you use watt wise.....hope this helps
pup

D

drpressure600

i've been in your shoes b 4 kid, the 400w hps is your best friend rite now, if it gets to hot just open the doors, you'll never have any other problem, besides you won't need to elec bills, bang the timers into 12\12 after one week of flower, the 400w is the king for you, . .

F

frankie-smiles

I can only tell ya about my experience using a 600 watt cool tube with a 125mm fan in a 1.2m tent, lights on from 6pm to 6am - temps were very steady, maybe even a bit low. Also the cool tube's spread of light isn't the best (buds were fat enought though). If i was gonna run that tent again i might even go for a 1000 watter. Alot depends on your surrounding temps (and your elecy bill of course), during the summer when i first got the tent i had lights on during the day and it was just a tad too hot.
One thing i would say is not to go for cfls, i've seen 4 x 200 watters in a 1.2m tent and buds were tiny. Sound for cuts and vegging but they don't have the penetration for flowering.

I

Indianche

Hmm so I guess I'll just go with the 250W Hps ,is it ok if i grow the plant and then flower it with an hps light ? A 400 watter will get my el bill a bit over my head.

BombBP

BombBP

I run a 400w on 12/12 and a 175w plus 46w cfl on 18/6. It raises my bill about $20 a month. I found this chart useful in helping make these types of decisions:)-
How Much?
Oops...just noticed you're in Bulgaria

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm up a bit more than that ^^ with my setup, which is similar.

I

Indianche

Well thanks guys ,I'm thinking of going with the hps but from what I get growing a plant with an hps light aint as good as when using cfls ,but hps is better for flowering and I don't have the money atm for both cfl and hps so I'll most probably get a 250w hps for now ,night fokes

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
HPS rules the roost with where we're at with technology today. That's the right choice.

J

julsbagell

Premium Member
Supporter
hps is the shit for veg or flower dont let anyone tell you any different and 400 will be worth the extra electricity youll get almost double the yield from the 400 for only 10 or 20 bucks a month.

I

Indianche

I get that but 20 bucks is not little for someone without a job.

I

Indianche

Ok as I was looking the internet for HPS lights ,I started figuring why don't I get a 400W one and proabably thats what I'll do ,but get that I've came across different lights which cost differently I mean is this one of the cases when you pay less and actually pay more in the end ? Should I invest more money in a more expensive light ,bulb etc or they don't have much difference between each other ?

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I always got with Hortilux bulbs and an air cooled reflector hood (flanges to attach a fan to). Those things are more expensive but def make a big difference. If you are using a small space and don't have the money left over for proper ventilation go with the 250. The difference in heat in a small space is big. What tent did you get?

I

Indianche

Homebox XS ,a 250W you say ok I will I'm not growing in it up to its full potential at first ,so I can always get a 400w one if i find its proper.I've found a pack that costs 100euro and it contains carbon filter + ventilator ,they both are good but just the delivery costs 30 euro thats whats holding me back.Can you tell me how can I calculate how much electricity would both leach ?

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I'm no good with sorting out the wattage to kilwatt per hour consumption. Suffer financially through your first grow and you'll be fine. It's how we all started, well those of us with that weren't born with a silver reflector hood over our crib. ;)

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
I mean if you have the money for the 400 there is no question you can double your yield if you grow them right, but you'll need proper extraction at least.

I

Indianche

well lets say that 30 bucks per month seems just about fair but 50 is a bit too much for now I'll see what I'll do the current question is 250W or 400W.

H

hererisssh

Premium Member
Supporter
The 400 runs me around 25-30 a month but the fans, fluoro lighting and heatpad for moms/clones, heaters, dehumidifier, etc end up costing more than that.

Top Bottom