cfm of this fan???

• Thread starter bmvortex81
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
bmvortex81

bmvortex81

hiya all i have a question regarding the cfm of this fan pictured, it came out of an old hp computer tower... i think lol the fan is 4 and 3/4 by 4 and 3/4 and no sticker on it anywhere. Is there a way to determine what the cfm is? or am i pretty much left with searching to see what i can find? thx famrers

Cfm of this fan
Cfm of this fan 2
SpiderK

SpiderK

an older one will be around 15 - 20 cfm . imo

your not gonna move enough air unless its just hanging in a cab and blowing some air onto a plant..

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

...yeah, that's not a 12volt pc fan that's a 4 3/4" axial fan that runs on 110volts if i'm not mistaken, ...i have one in my motherbox build, anyway, below is a link to one similar that you can check out for comparison.

Dayton Axial Fan, 4 3/4 In Sq, 124 CFM, 115 V

...as you can see it pulls a fair bit of air but you also need to understand that a fan like this would be way too weak to run with a scrubber attatched, inside a small cab like my motherbox and without a scrubber it'd work fine as an exhaust but otherwise it should only be used as a circulation fan and not as a ventilation fan.

peace, bozo

SpiderK

SpiderK

bozo ....

have you run a variable autotransformer before on a dayton blower ??? looking at a few online not sure about them. i can't use a speed controller.

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

bozo ....

have you run a variable autotransformer before on a dayton blower ??? looking at a few online not sure about them. i can't use a speed controller.
...i'm assuming you mean something like this and if so i'd have to say no, although i did purchase one to use as a speed controller for a Vortex 8" S-Line, unfortunately, it never worked right out of the box so i can't speak to how well they work. ...for this reason i strongly recommend finding one locally if this is the route you plan to take.

3 Amp Variac Variable Transformer, 300va Max, 0-130 Volt Output
http://www.amazon.com/Variac-Variab...ie=UTF8&qid=1398908520&sr=8-2&keywords=variac

...it is my understanding that the more traditional, cheaper speed controller functions by altering the shape of the sinewave of the signal, aka voltage, while the variac functions by raising or lowering the actual voltage.

...there are pro's and con's to both but the variable voltage approach is supposed to be less hard on your equipment if i remember correctly, which is why i bought one, lol.

hope this helps, bozo

SpiderK

SpiderK

thanks a bunch!

ya the my understanding. just wanted a double check ...

& thanks for that link.! i was looking at very expensive ones or used.

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

sweet thx bozo the one im prolly gonna use is the squirel cage fan i got pictured in my splittin room thread that one is 265 cfm i just have to figure out how to size up and build my scrubber for that i have found the info to come up with this number so i think i got it :happy:

justanotherbozo

justanotherbozo

sweet thx bozo the one im prolly gonna use is the squirel cage fan i got pictured in my splittin room thread that one is 265 cfm i just have to figure out how to size up and build my scrubber for that i have found the info to come up with this number so i think i got it :happy:
you mean something like this?

DSCI0448

...and like i said earlier, you won't truly NEED a scrubber for about a month after you flip so maybe a proper scrubber could be fit into your budget.

...your freedom depends on eliminating all odors from leaking into public areas and DIY's may be cool and all but they are too often imperfect in there execution, ...and a proper scrubber to fit that fan is cheap enough that you could go around collecting can's for a month and have enough to get one.

Can 2600 Carbon Filter With Prefilter, Flange Sold Separately

Can Steel Flange for 2600/9000, 4-Inch
http://www.amazon.com/Can-Steel-Fla...qid=1398911247&sr=8-2&keywords=canfan+can2600

...and understand that i'm not criticizing you or your plan, i'm just suggesting you might not want to risk your freedom with a makeshift scrubber when a proper scrubber is such a small expense, ...i mean it's like the cost of a quater ounce of middies!

...either way i certainly wish you success.

peace, bozo
http://www.amazon.com/Can-Carbon-Fi...qid=1398911247&sr=8-1&keywords=canfan+can2600

bmvortex81

bmvortex81

oh sure its like saying hey u suck at building lmfao jk bro i hear what ya saying yeah thats what i got, tbh my grow room is in the upstairs of my moms place and really stealth is a big deal considering im in a non legal state but not ya know what im saying? yes i am concerned but if my diy scrubber doesnt work perfect its ok and i got time to fix ya know?

Top Bottom