Changed To Hps And This Happened... :(

• Thread starter schwab0619
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
schwab0619

schwab0619

i grow several veggies ,start um all indoors,before planting outside i have to harden them off,the red spectrum is more intense from the sun,inside you can mimic same thing just buy a dimmable ballast,i always start mine from veg ,back to 25% and work it up within 3 days you can be at 75% and let it go 1 more week and hit the full throttle if you please,but ya shock from being in the sun will sure enough take you were your at
I just ordered a dimmable ballast. I raised the light last night and hopefully they recover in a day or two. I'll update pics when I get home tonight.

Freshone

Freshone

I have seen bleaching, but never an entire plant wilt from too bright a light.
Very interested to see how this comes out.
Occams razor,He changed nothing but the light so its probably the light,Most likely not water not fungus etc etc.
Id raise the light and slowly lower as they get used to it.Its weird that you went from 1K MH to 1K HPS so basically just changed spectrum and not power but i still say its the light,Good Luck!

goingtoguano

goingtoguano

Occams razor,He changed nothing but the light so its probably the light,Most likely not water not fungus etc etc.
Id raise the light and slowly lower as they get used to it.Its weird that you went from 1K MH to 1K HPS so basically just changed spectrum and not power but i still say its the light,Good Luck!
I agree with you. Hps is more intense but, in the few times I have switched, I have never experienced any shock.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
It's obviously shock. Probably from your light. As others have suggested, I wouldn't go straight to 1000w HPS first day.. Get a ballast with a dim function, run 50% first day, then bump it up gradually every day until back to 1000. I wouldn't worry about it too much, they will recover. Give them 2 or 3 days and be extra nice to them. They'll be alright.

I've seen this a lot with light. For instance, whenever I take my plants out of the grow room in spring to put outside, same thing happens. Here in Colorado, at my elevation, the sun is even more intense due to the lack of atmosphere, so 90% of the time, most of my plants do this exact same thing for the first couple days in the sun. It's no big deal. However, if you start seeing burnt leaves, then you have a problem.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
Its weird that you went from 1K MH to 1K HPS so basically just changed spectrum and not power but i still say its the light,Good Luck!

Not weird at all, actually. HPS lights put out more lumens than MH lights do. Thus creating more heat and stress for the plants.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Back your hps off a tad. As everyone has mentioned the output of hps is more aggressive than mh. Either dim or raise your lights. I always transition from veg to flower mh/hps with raising the hps and lower slowly over a week to allow the plants to acclimate. Not unlike hardening plants off when going from indoor starts to outside finishes/plantings

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Infrared Emission
HPS lights run very hot reaching a high of 53,000F with a large portion of this heat transforming into IR radiation. Infrared is a contributing factor to heat emission and makes your plants hot as they receive the light. This is caused by infrared radiation causing the molecules of the plant to vibrate, which in turn generates heat.

schwab0619

schwab0619

Back your hps off a tad. As everyone has mentioned the output of hps is more aggressive than mh. Either dim or raise your lights. I always transition from veg to flower mh/hps with raising the hps and lower slowly over a week to allow the plants to acclimate. Not unlike hardening plants off when going from indoor starts to outside finishes/plantings
Here they are after some time to recover. Looking great! Really starting to stretch, about an 1" a day. It was just the intensity of the light shocked them. I hope everyone learns from my mistake. Thanks Everyone.

Sorry About the shitty light. I was in a hurry this morning.

IMG 5336
IMG 5352
IMG 5353
IMG 5354
IMG 5355
Monster762

Monster762

1000w air cooled mh for veg and changed to hps last night after starting the first week of flower (12/12) under the mh. Thought it was time to change to hps after 5 days of 12/12. Here is before and after pics. What happened? Temp and humidity are good. Please help, don't want to lose this crop. Thanks.
Those brighter green tops are good thing. I’m not seeing what you are. Looks like the bloom phase is kicking in full force to me. You’ll have a ton of tops n colas coming there. Changing light could shock them but what i see is all good. Looks hungry though. The light bright green is new growth exploding. The duller yellowish brownish I think is it wants food. I’d bump feed up a little see if you get more color back but don’t push ton of n. If it was the light the plant would straight out turned away from it and shriveled. There would be no uplifted perky leaves. Can’t tell if soil or what but a good heavy water and feed is what is do.
But I’m no pro. You got a nice jump on it if there’s no buds yet I’d get a last foliar in with some epsom or calmag too.

schwab0619

schwab0619

Those brighter green tops are good thing. I’m not seeing what you are. Looks like the bloom phase is kicking in full force to me. You’ll have a ton of tops n colas coming there. Changing light could shock them but what i see is all good. Looks hungry though. The light bright green is new growth exploding. The duller yellowish brownish I think is it wants food. I’d bump feed up a little see if you get more color back but don’t push ton of n. If it was the light the plant would straight out turned away from it and shriveled. There would be no uplifted perky leaves. Can’t tell if soil or what but a good heavy water and feed is what is do.
But I’m no pro. You got a nice jump on it if there’s no buds yet I’d get a last foliar in with some epsom or calmag too.
Yup they get fed tonight. They have really perked up from where they were on Monday morning. I mean its a night and day change.

Monster762

Monster762

Yup they get fed tonight. They have really perked up from where they were on Monday morning. I mean its a night and day change.
Yeah they’ll start showing off soon. If they are perking up toward the light you can scratch light as the issue. Could been shock but they’ll eat that hps up soon come. Keep em happy n you’ll def have decent harvest there. Are these fem seeds , clones? What strain(s) you got there ?

schwab0619

schwab0619

Yeah they’ll start showing off soon. If they are perking up toward the light you can scratch light as the issue. Could been shock but they’ll eat that hps up soon come. Keep em happy n you’ll def have decent harvest there. Are these fem seeds , clones? What strain(s) you got there ?
Yeah they are under control now and thriving. Have at least 50 solid tops.
Back row - 2 Strawberry Cough's from my dads seed collection. He said he's had this stand since late 90's
Front row - (L to R) 1 - strawberry cough, 2 - Zour Apples from Ethos Genetics

schwab0619

schwab0619

All in 3 gal smart pots. Living Soil w/ amendments. 5 total in a 1000w flowering tent.

Top Bottom