Changing names of strains

• Thread starter hempmerican
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None

Changing the name of a cannabis strain to increase sales is __________.

• Common

Votes: 6 22.2%
  • Unethical

Votes: 18 66.7%
  • Cheating

Votes: 3 11.1%

• Total voters
Aladeen OG

Aladeen OG

okay @Seamaiden @cannapits i'll prove my point right here.

UK cheese.

explain to me how that would be okay, its a skunk plant, not cheese that is a rename.
when was the timeline that this was considered ethical/unethical? how did we get strains like grapefruit, lemon diesel, purple urkle, were those names thought up BEFORE the cross was bred and was intended? or because the specific phenotype showed traits that would fit perfect with the name, hence the new name. a plant style "racism" if you will.... like "its not jewish/kosher" i dont want it... then dont.. its a plant if you like it grow it.... if your concerned about strict breeding heritage and are too lazy to work a line to see what comes out (cause at the end of the day its the end product not the beginning) cause it doesnt matter what the cross is, it matters how it smokes right?

edit - and wouldnt it even be a little redundant to be concerned about said heritage? you're dealing with the plant in front of you, not the parents. while those traits may be "hidden" if you will, that doesnt mean that 99% of the traits of the plant you are working with in front of you wont show its traits... assuming you are breeding not just chuckin

cannapits

cannapits

Original Swamp Fam
Supporter
I approach it like I do with my dogs. I like to know where things came from. even if its not a carbon copy of parents. you make valid points @Aladeen OG . Ive addressed my stance a few times. dont really see the need to keep clarifying it. to each there own I guess. but if you call everything kush to sell more herb. your part of the problem not the solution imo.

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I bought some seeds from reputable breeders countless times, and for some strange reason I didn't get what I asked for instead, I got something that was undeniably something different, so I just chucked some pollen made some seeds, renamed them and gave them away, I see no issue with renaming as long as the moral compass is calibrated.

Welshwizzard

Welshwizzard

UK cheese.

explain to me how that would be okay, its a skunk plant, not cheese that is a rename.
when was the timeline that this was considered ethical/unethical? how did we get strains like grapefruit, lemon diesel, purple urkle, were those names thought up BEFORE the cross was bred and was intended? or because the specific phenotype showed traits that would fit perfect with the name, hence the new name. a plant style "racism" if you will.... like "its not jewish/kosher" i dont want it... then dont.. its a plant if you like it grow it.... if your concerned about strict breeding heritage and are too lazy to work a line to see what comes out (cause at the end of the day its the end product not the beginning) cause it doesnt matter what the cross is, it matters how it smokes right?

edit - and wouldnt it even be a little redundant to be concerned about said heritage? you're dealing with the plant in front of you, not the parents. while those traits may be "hidden" if you will, that doesnt mean that 99% of the traits of the plant you are working with in front of you wont show its traits... assuming you are breeding not just chuckin

If you are talking UK cheese no one over here says they are just growing cheese if they know what they are doing, its one of 3 cuts of "cheese". Exo, Psycosis, or Livers/Blues cut.

They are clone onlys. Once you get an exo, you keep hold.

SpiderK

SpiderK

bodhi gives different cuts names from the same seed line. as long as u can trace it ....

another issue. S1 diversity being in the same boat / regard as F1's now, ......

& how many elites are passed when someone tells um keep it on lock. hundreds of stories of broken promises litter the forums regarding trading. & then u just make F1's smashing every elite clone with this or that....... so the IBL are done ???? not just naming rights but a few different issues at play imo

4x4

4x4

I'd like to get some community feedback on this for a debate that's been rolling around the table lately.

Growers or Vendors changing the name of a strain of cannabis for whatever reason.

Do you think it's a good idea or a bad idea, and why?

Thanks for the comments

The 3 choices "common, unethical, cheating" aren't mutually exclusive. :)

william76

william76

The 3 choices "common, unethical, cheating" aren't mutually exclusive. :)
If I could have I'd have voted unethical and cheating if I could have,this is also part of the reason there's so many fake cuts going about too,we,ve all heard of people creating strains then somebody else coming along, changing the name and taking credit for somebody else's work,76

Garden of Dreams

Garden of Dreams

Breeder
heres a great example, we gave kyle Douchebag Kushman our Afgani cut to do some work with, He decides he likes it so much that hes gonna call it Bennett Valley Kush, Thats why hes known as a thief and industry joke, Once the profiling is up n running those days will stop, And out of 500 strains tested about 495 were very similiar in DNA and genetics, One of the biggest standouts in the remaining 5 was Jack Herer Ill dig up more info on that test, My boys a organic chemist/Extraction GoD and he was at the Organic Cannabis Chemistry convention schooling Drs on mad shit like all the Parafin alot of you are smokin in Wax,
Oh and before i forget, Theres a certain lab in Oakland thats crooked as fuk! Depending on how much free "Oil,Wax, Budder, "Holy Water" etc, you give them they will blast everywhere how good your shit is. Regardless of the truth, Kinda like the GSC joke. Its all smoke n mirrors!!!!!!
Those days are coming to a end to. :D

hempmerican

hempmerican

Personally I want to get my herbs from a source that has a selection of known strains. While volunteering for a medical collective, I didn't consider taking donations of unknown strains because most patients were looking for specific strains. ONE problem with a renamed strains or strains with mysterious lineage is that there is no reference for the patient.

S

ssteely71

I've had dispensaries I've donated meds too change the name to suit popular demand.

They changed the name of my TGA Purple Apollo to "Hawaiian Power" ??
And changed the name of my SCS Galactic Jack to "fruity Jack"??
I'm like , whatever .........

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
I never rename a strain. I name simple crosses just that, sample x sample. I only name something when it is a finished ,worked and individual product. When I do this I most often also give out the linage, but not always. I`ve never given out the linage of AK-47 . I`ve only stated it was 60/40 . I`ve also withheld other strains linages from time to time because of not wanting them to have incorrect copies put out of them. I find it unethical and confusing to rename a strain. If I make a similar strain I may have used different phenol types to arrive with my version of it. I`d call it MC`s Sour D so it isn`t confusing to the customer. Yes it is the same strain but, you can expect some different traits when comparing one breeders weirs to an others.

symbiote420

symbiote420

No way around it renaming strains/crosses is f****** seedy as hell!!! I know plenty of peeps and dispos that behave in such a manner. And it's more common nowadays than ever before!

OG's, Chem's, Apollo 13, etc., etc. no discriminating they all get the treatment heavily ....damn shame cause I'm too meticulous and this kinda shiz drives me batty!

urban1026835

urban1026835

I think its a douche move for sure.

I also live somewhere that I could say whatever I want as these people have no idea, still the 2 people I give flowers to get things labeled what they are company s1 f1 ibl whatever and the most confusing break down of what that means.

Every once in awhile some asshat will pull out a bag and try and tell me its cooks or og something or other and not once have a seen even a good knock off..just gotta keep my mouth shut in those moments and think to myself how misinformed they are.(as I politely decline their flowers.)

Anyway-if it is grown well and good genes there is NO need to lie about the genetics.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I always try to keep a note of breeder, generation, etc. I don't number my plants, though.

UK cheese.

Those are all very good points, and I won't even try to address the breeding aspects because I don't think I'm qualified. My only issue is as someone who is trying to keep track of things and can't. And if it doesn't really matter what the name of the plant is, then... I guess I'm kinda confused. I'd just like to be able to keep something resembling "track."
I approach it like I do with my dogs. I like to know where things came from. even if its not a carbon copy of parents. you make valid points @Aladeen OG . Ive addressed my stance a few times. dont really see the need to keep clarifying it. to each there own I guess. but if you call everything kush to sell more herb. your part of the problem not the solution imo.
THAT right there is a huge part of the problem--renaming for popularity's sake..?

Maybe, since I'm not only female but possibly double the age of many of these people to whom most of the marketing is targeted, I'm not the best person to discuss this issue. But I grow some damn good weed and hardly any of it is a Kush, of any type, damn it!

I... I... I'm just so confused by it.

william76

william76

Another thing,if the weeds good it'll sell no matter the name,changing the name so you can sell crap weed is blatant robbery,should wear a mask and striped jersey, what mc said is 100 percent right,thats the way I do it too,just cause cannabis is looked on as criminal doesn't mean we have to act like criminals,if your going to name a strain at least put some work into it first,otherwise what's the point?credit where credits due please,76

NaturalTherapy

NaturalTherapy

Lighthouse
Supporter
Businesses changing names to move product is shady no matter how one tries to justify it. To me it's akin to selling knock off jewelry at full price or a salesman selling brass and calling it gold. Lots of dumb fucks will always think they have gold...

This may not be a popular attitude but it seems to me this is one of those areas where so many folks are guilty, yet even the guilty complain about it when it happens to them. It's the same kind of hipocracy I see when one breeder complains about today's common practices that dilute/ weaken the cannabis gene pool- then releases a line made using inferior genetics or practices.

william76

william76

I always try to keep a note of breeder, generation, etc. I don't number my plants, though.

Those are all very good points, and I won't even try to address the breeding aspects because I don't think I'm qualified. My only issue is as someone who is trying to keep track of things and can't. And if it doesn't really matter what the name of the plant is, then... I guess I'm kinda confused. I'd just like to be able to keep something resembling "track."

THAT right there is a huge part of the problem--renaming for popularity's sake..?

Maybe, since I'm not only female but possibly double the age of many of these people to whom most of the marketing is targeted, I'm not the best person to discuss this issue. But I grow some damn good weed and hardly any of it is a Kush, of any type, damn it!

I... I... I'm just so confused by it.
Your not confused sea,your way of thinking is correct,why should you change it?im the same I like to know the lineage when possible,im sure most people would,76

Canalchemist

Canalchemist

I have had a great experience with Jabbas stash recently, I was really impressed with the expression of genes, I can't vouch for the breeder but it seems there are some good genes there, Plus it's much less expensive than the g-13 that I had to try for the sake of it.

Latest posts

Top Bottom