changing to hydro, please give me advise on choice of strain for aeroponic setup

• Thread starter loveblondes
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
L

loveblondes

hello to all, I am new to the board. ive grown for yrs and decided to try my hand at aeroponics. I bought four of the aeroponic grow genies 2 yrs ago, and now I want to try them. I know that there is probably better setups now, but I have these and need to make use of them. anyhow im choosing from white widow feminized by dutch passion, or white rhino fems from greenhouse seeds, or ice bomb fems from bomb seed company. the white rhino from greenhouse, boasts some pretty healthy stats like 900grams/sq meter, 20%thc, .11 cbd etc ..... I know a lot of times this is bs. I grew bomb seeds thc bomb variety outdoors, it was good weed, not the best, but did not yield anything like what they said it would, again, a certain amount of bs for sales. as far as the widow from dutch passion, ive heard nothing but good thing from. ive got many grows under my belt over the yrs, but never aeroponics, and never tried any of these im choosing from. im doing the mothers and clones type of setup, which ive never done before, and I also need to know about how many clones you can safely get off each mother plant, so I can determine how many moms to grow. I have 2 - 120 site grow genies, and 2- 8 site genies. ive posted before, and want to thank everyone for the replys you gave, tried to post the thank you, but it wwouldnt let me post for some reason.... anyhow, thanks ahead of time, I appreciate anything you can add for help and god bless to all.

Coir

Coir

If done correctly, then you should see no difference in the final results no matter what type of growing system you use. Typically, you will see faster vegetative growth with hydro vs soil but there are so many variables that are the growers responsibility rather than the strain choice that effect this. I have grown the same strain side by side in soil, coir, rockwool, and NFT systems and when properly managed, you could not tell them apart as far as end product. They were all fed the same nutrients but applied and managed for each specific method. While the NFT system produced the fastest vegetative growth, the maturation rate was the same in weeks for all of them.
I have always felt that the plants have no idea what medium they are being grown in but whether or not they are receiving what they need to reach their full potential. An experienced grower should be able to maximize that potential for whatever strain they are growing in whatever type of system they are using but to do this requires time to learn the individual strain as well as the system it is growing in.
I can not emphasize enough the need to take very detailed notes on every aspect of each particular grow if you want to be able to achieve consistent results crop after crop. In today's digital age, there is no excuse not to have daily audio, text, and even video/still records.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I disagree with coir as I get different terpene profiles depending on subsrtrate used.

Coir

Coir

I disagree with coir as I get different terpene profiles depending on subsrtrate used.

It would be really interesting to see leaf tissue analysis from each different profile/substrate. It should be very enlightening as to what caused the differences.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Coir, you bring up an interesting experience/observation, because mine is rather different. I know my husbandry/cultivation skills when growing inside are leaving a lot to be desired when I read this, because the differences between my outdoor soil-grown plants and my indoor coir-grown plants is HUGE, and I far prefer my outdoor- soil-grown plants.

Coir

Coir

I could go into a rather lengthy explanation of my results but it would take me hours to type it all out.
Growing outdoors it's much harder to control the environment which is why there is such a large variance in crops from year to year. Growing indoors, you can keep the environment pretty much identical from one crop to the next which makes it much easier to get consistent results.
When it comes to different growing substrates, I see differences in the same strain when the feeding is not adjusted to the particular substrate. There is such a wide range of acceptable levels where plants will grow healthy but differences in actual elements in the plant tissue can change the final product.
As an example, running identical strains and nutrients in coir and an NFT system in the same grow room, the leaf tissue analysis showed some large differences between the plants. Both plants looked healthy but the end product was markedly different. The plant growing in the NFT system showed much higher levels of N, Mn, Mo, B, and Zn compared to the plant in coir. They were both being fed the same but the uptake from the plants was different. On the next run, minor adjustments were made to the feed for each plant and the end result was nearly identical end product.
While it's not feasible for most small growers to take tissue samples and adjust their feeding schedules accordingly, it can be done. The other thing is that it's really not necessary in most cases since without it, as long as the plants are not showing signs of deficiency or toxicity, they still grow fine and produce a good product.
This study was one of the reasons I started making my own nutrients. With commercially available plant food, you can increase or decrease the strength but not change the ratios of certain elements. Blending your own, you can make subtle changes as necessary to fit the crop, environment, and substrate quite easily.

J

Jalisco Kid

I too disagree with you Coir as different mediums have different cec''s ,moisture level at roots which will effect sugar levels. There will be different pH at root level. Each one can be mastered but all mediums are not the same. My Bubba shined in aero compared to my other strains.JK

shoestring

shoestring

Grower perception and placebo far outweighs and trumps scientific data, methods and results. Iam with you 100% on this Coir. I have even done side by sides myself. Many times. Many many methods and variables over many years It is hard to remove perceived results from the grow. I know that is for sure. Especially when perception is in an altered state!!!

Last edited:
J

Jalisco Kid

Well
Grower perception and placebo far outweighs and trumps scientific data, methods and results. Iam with you 100% on this Coir. I have even done side by sides myself. Many times. Many many methods and variables over many years It is hard to remove perceived results from the grow. I know that is for sure. Especially when perception is in an altered state!!!
I would suggest you run a real bubba in soil ,or coir and use you time lapsed photography to watch it in veg. Then run her in an aero system and watch her grow with your eyes. I'll bet the other will be in the shadows of the aero. Aero has always given me bigger plants in veg which translate to a bigger harvest.

shoestring

shoestring

No doubt aeroponics is the cadillac of hydroponic methods. It wins hands down when it comes to speed of growth in veg for sure. Ive ran aeroponics systems religiuosly for quite a few years. You my friend most definitely mis understood me.

J

Jalisco Kid

Well if I did,it would not be the first time that I did that today,or yesterday...I thought you were agreeing with Coir that if you had masters of each grow method they(plants) would all come along the same. I have not seen any system match aero in veg,especially a bubba kush, the tortuga of veg. I have either ran or manufacture containers for all systems. The only one I never could wrap my mind around in organics in dirt. JK

shoestring

shoestring

I really dig aeroponics. At one time long ago it was thee setup to have for sure. But over a period of say about 2 to 3 years i ran a nice sized aeroponics system (a big basement) ive found that it got finicky. It seemed at the time i was always running downstairs anticipating something was going to go wrong. Sure stayed home alot more too. When its dialed and running rite it kicks ass especially in veg because of the near 100% dissolved oxygen levels. But ive had numerous pump failures ( equals crop death within hours), clogged spray emitters and lots of salt build up. Ph and electrical conductivity has be much more exact and on point. If i had more than usual grow room temperature fluctuations my system suffered bigtime. After some time i said screw it and went back to promix. I had similar but less headaches in dwc and nft systems. A few years ago i made the switch to coco coir in a drain to waste automated drip system. This to me is by far the most forgiving way to grow indoors hydroponically. Especially when i put my resevoirs outside the room. Ive also had alot of success back in the day growing in rockwool slabs the same way i grow in coco now but coir is even easier than slab gardens.....to me anyways. What i say is if it aint broke......peace out

Last edited:
shoestring

shoestring

I have heard of the term mapito before in some european magazines. But i honestly do not know what the medium is. What is mapito exactly? I have also heard theg have mapito specific nutrients in europe but alas i have no clue?

J

Jalisco Kid

I had good luck blending my non absorbent and absorbent rockwool 60/40 but I realized growing long term the rockwool can kill you. Tears up the lungs too much. JK

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

Isn't rockwool the house insulation stuff? It's tiny stretches of rock ain't it? Growth in that medium is sick. Bit like jk said your lungs will pay.

Jk? Mapito with coco mixed? Your thoughts? ?
Respect

shoestring

shoestring

Yeah its spun rock fibers. Back in the day i used to build ethanol plants with my dad in iowa and we used this shit called Roxsol. It was basically rockwool but used a fire retardant mixed in it and that wad the only difference between the rockwool used in gardening. That and the price. We wrapped alot of machinery in that stuff.

Top Bottom