Charcoal Replacement

• Thread starter kevinn
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
kevinn

kevinn

I was thinking of replacing the charcoal in my filter rather than buy a new filter. Haven't priced it yet, so don't know if it is even worth it. Was wondering if I could replace it with fish tank charcoal, or is that too fine. Charcoal currently in filter is pretty course.
Thanks

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I believe that the carbon, not charcoal (two different things!) that's used for air filtration is of a different granule size. I would look to replacing the carbon itself, and what I 'throw' out would go into the soil to act as biochar. If what's in the filter is pretty coarse, I would think you could replace it like:like.

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Also, you would have to fill it correctly, they use some type of machine to 'vibrate' the can as it fills with carbon as dense as possible. If you did it yourself you could end up with air pockets and make it less efficient.

I have no idea how much it would cost, but the good virgin carbon, which is in Phresh filters and the like, might be kinda hard or expensive to get because its from Australia, so the filter companies get it ALOT cheaper then us. After you find out, let us know if its worth it, good luck.

kevinn

kevinn

Thanks for setting me straight. I would have had 20 lbs. of charcoal and no fish tank.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Activated charcoal and carbon are the same and used in filters, the activated word is key as the charcoal is treated with oxygen to open up the pores making filter charcoal 300 to 3000 times more porous. Generally it is not a good idea to refill as the time, money and mess and lack of compaction will make it less effective and frankly finding good charcoal/carbon is hard. I use the old cans to make nice seats when used up.

catdaddy

catdaddy

can anyone tell me the difference between a charcoal filter and carbon filter? which one is better and why? thanks in advance.

sky high

sky high

I think they are one in the same. To-ma-toe...To-mat-o...etc..etc..etc.

I have refilled my filters for years. Still using the same inline cans I bought in like 2006...and am on probably the 4th refill (?) Fuck..I don't keep track.

Anyway...there is carbon/charcoal for refills on ebay...and your local hydro shop may also be able to order it.

I can't speak too the newer Can filters..i >hear< they are WAYYYY lighter than before. The HEAVY ones use the pelleted charcoal/carbon pellets that are about the size of rabbit food. I suspect, if they are lighter these days, that they have switched over the the GRANULAR carbon...supposedly from austrailia (R-47 or some such shit) that makes like PHAT, PHRESH, RHINO, etc,,etc,,etc, use in their far filters.

I would look for the granular.....and for free shipping (!). I don't believe for a second the stories that you cannot repack these filters as they do in the factory. I have tried and tried to find the pic....and someday I WILL....but when I had my hydro store and these first came out, I saw a picture from the PHAT factory of their "packing" machine and it appeared to be an ABORIGINAL KID ABOUT 10-12 years old with a huge pile of charcoal behind him...the shell of a filter before him... and a goddamn RUBBER MALLET in his hand. o_O

suckers. :D

good luck however ya go

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
Carbon can be bought here if ur in SoCal, its to expensive if u have it shipped. They sell different grades of carbon and explain the basic differences. Phresh/ mountain air use smaller pellets cheaper filters use larger pellets. You can also buy 20-25 pound bags of carbon on ebay.
Confu

southstreets

southstreets

Growmaster posted in one of his threads on how to reactivate the carbon in ur filters if ur up for looking for it.. It'll save you some $$$$$$...

F

formermarine

I was thinking of replacing the charcoal in my filter rather than buy a new filter. Haven't priced it yet, so don't know if it is even worth it. Was wondering if I could replace it with fish tank charcoal, or is that too fine. Charcoal currently in filter is pretty course.
Thanks
You can easily replace the charcoal pellets in your filters. You can buy the charcoal pellets at eBay. When replacing, be sure to weigh old charcoal. You want to replace with same volume. You will need to vibrate filter housing to get pellets to Seattle. Most filters have pop rivets, you just drill them out, and install new rivets. You will save money in doing this! Especially the larger filters! And you will get clean filtered air in your room!

LoveGrowingIt

LoveGrowingIt

Supporter
AC Infinity sells refills for their refillable filters. They have different sizes and prices. I think they cost about $35.

Top Bottom