Charity offers UK drug addicts £200 to be sterilised

• Thread starter thedogsbollox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

thedogsbollox

Drug addicts across the UK are being offered money to be sterilised by an American charity.

Project Prevention is offering to pay £200 to any drug user in London, Glasgow, Bristol, Leicester and parts of Wales who agrees to be operated on.

The first person in the UK to accept the cash is drug addict “John” from Leicester who says he “should never be a father”.

The move has been criticised by some drug charities who work with addicts.

Project Prevention founder Barbara Harris admitted her methods amounted to “bribery”, but said it was the only way to stop babies being physically and mentally damaged by drugs during pregnancy.

Drug treatment charity Addaction estimates one million children in the UK are living with parents who abuse drugs.

Pregnant addicts can pass on the dependency to the unborn child, leading to organ and brain damage.

Mrs Harris set up her charity in North Carolina after adopting the children of a crack addict.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-11545519

:evilgrin0013:

R

ReadySetGrowD9

WOW TBO i dont even know what to think about that.......

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
If it's voluntary, then why not be paid to do it? Prevention being worth a pound of cure and all that.

Having had some young people live with us whose parents were out of control, I can't say this is really such a bad thing. Better to not have brought them into the world in the first place. 200lbs translates to something like $400US, doesn't it?

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

sorry but a true addict does not have the mental stability or capacity to render such a life altering decision. what if they get clean in 5 years and want to start a family?

W

waverunner_21

the world we live in is becoming stranger by the second, thats really fucked up

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
sorry but a true addict does not have the mental stability or capacity to render such a life altering decision. what if they get clean in 5 years and want to start a family?
Wait, so they *do* have the ability to make the decision to start a family? Isn't the presupposition that if they're a true addict they're never going to be 'cured'? Recidivism rates are rather high, and I'm going to include alcoholics in this.

Honestly, in my experience, Occam's Razor dictates that they won't be getting to that place anytime soon (clean and wanting to start a family). I have to respectfully disagree with you.

If anyone, including an addict, can make the choice to be sterilized and pay to have a doctor do it, what's the difference between that and being paid to do it, with the qualifier being that you're an addict..? I don't see the difference other than an addict may be more likely to do this simply for the money, which again indicates what poor parents they make. I've just had far too much experience in this realm, have seen too many teenagers whose parents are *still* addicts, to find this fucked up in any way at all.

I'm pro-choice, I see this as a choice made before the child is created. If it were involuntary I might have a problem, but after another experience, I'm not so sure forced sterilization is such a bad idea, either. Seems extreme, seems harsh, but I tell ya, if you've seen what I've seen you'd be examining the issue a little more closely, too.

Str8Dank

Str8Dank

i hear and respect your opinion seamaiden. I'm a product of a addict and most of my family works within the social services or in drug rehabs and there is no such thing as a cure only control. personally I've seen the 180 made by many people who have went on to live positive productive drug free life's. I'm all for pro choice as well but that is under the assumption that they are of a mental state to make a decision. offering a crack head that kind of money isn't pro choice that's like a default yes that they will do it regardless if they want to or not for far to many for me to feel comfortable with this. women sell their bodies, have sex with animals and all kinda crazy stuff just for the dope boys entertainment so they can get their next fix and this is no better to me they are using their addiction against them to get them to do whatever they want them to do the same way.

at the end of the day drug addiction is a big issue and this does not feel like a good solution to the issue to me. there are many people this would be a good choice for but i think seeing people turn to this like another crack head hustle like giving plasma would be terrible. If they do this why stop there lets start offering pizzas to fat people to sterilize them so we can make the world full of skinny drug free people!

M

moodster

top idea i know loads of kids which are in care due to thier parents addiction which is wrong in itself

motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
I wonder what they would spend the money on

Top Bottom