cheap alternatives to buying a dehumidifier

• Thread starter burn4me
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
burn4me

burn4me

this is not my article just thought id pass on some info for the DIY types. good luck and keep it green.

Charcoal Briquettes

People swear by charcoal briquettes for removing humidity. There is no particular brand you should use over another. Charcoal not only dehumidifies the air, it also removes odors. Perfect for my room. I bought a cheap bag of charcoal at the dollar store and filled an inexpensive basket. That was placed on the top shelf in the closet area. I'll see how well it works.

The charcoal will last for 2-3 months. After that, they can be used in a barbeque without infusing the food with any weird taste. One product, multiple uses.

Rock Salt

Rock salt is well known for being a desiccant. Gather two plastic tubs the same size. In the bottom tub, place something inside to hold the first tub off the bottom. In the top tub, poke holes in the bottom. Fill with rock salt and place inside the first one. You will need to check the bottom tub daily and empty the water. It can take several days for the tub to fill.

I've used rock salt since I was a teenager. I have no idea who invented it. My Grandfather told me about it. He was born in 1910 and heard about it from his father.

Using Commercial Products

You can build the above dehumidifier and choose to fill it with a different desiccant. A small paint bucket with a cheap plastic strainer for the top works just as well.

Two commercial products are Dri-Z-Air crystals and Damp Rid crystals. I have used Damp Rid before. Many years ago, a pipe behind my refrigerator developed a leak. It wasn't until the house stank like mold that the problem was found by a handyman I had hired to find out what was wrong. It removed moisture by the bucket load and is relatively inexpensive. I am not paid by the company for my opinion. It also removes some of the smell.

There are other commercial products available. Research each closely before making a purchase. Some are available only to businesses. The two above listed products are found at grocery, big box and online stores.

Source: The author of this article has over 40 years of experience in diverse forms of DIY, home improvement and repair, crafting, designing, and building furniture, outdoor projects, RV'ing and more.

i hope this helped some. it did for me

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

That rocksalt is a Beast though, Fucking with activated Charcoal? ? Idk maybe not in raw rock form, but im no chemist so i wouldn't know wtd to rocksalt to make it compete with Activated Charcoal. Good find once again.
Tmb
Respect

burn4me

burn4me

well let see if we can get us a chemist then brother. @squiggly would you be down to share info if known to you. TIA if so we are curious

burn4me

burn4me

different strokes for different folks my friend. some people only have RH issues for a short couple months and what not. but i see your point. i refuse to spend 200 duckits if i dont HAVE too. especially since its not completely out of wack, just need to bring it to the point im comfortable. not every idea is for everyone.

Natural

Natural

different strokes for different folks my friend. some people only have RH issues for a short couple months and what not. but i see your point. i refuse to spend 200 duckits if i dont HAVE too. especially since its not completely out of wack, just need to bring it to the point im comfortable. not every idea is for everyone.

ehh..you can pick one up for 100 or less on cl. Not knockin your ideas at all..pretty creative..and def might help if you have very few plants. Heck with only a few plants good intake/outtake without a dehuey can be pretty efficient. A room full of plants is another story..the humidity builds up so quick during different times of light schedule and flowering, it would be near impossible to keep up without a dehuey. The machine lets you dial in your preferred rh to exact amounts. I don't see the others giving you much control..and imo low rh is as bad as high rh. Food for thought..room to grow.:smug:

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

ehh..you can pick one up for 100 or less on cl. Not knockin your ideas at all..pretty creative..and def might help if you have very few plants. Heck with only a few plants good intake/outtake without a dehuey can be pretty efficient. A room full of plants is another story..the humidity builds up so quick during different times of light schedule and flowering, it would be near impossible to keep up without a dehuey. The machine lets you dial in your preferred rh to exact amounts. I don't see the others giving you much control..and imo low rh is as bad as high rh. Food for thought..room to grow.:smug:

Before they added the activated Charcoal to the mix in damprid i was using 6 units of these spaced out amongst my vert chamber. Now stating i live in the dry part of the world, in the summer ina tent is really crazy rh levels, then you add that onto a larger room or closet. They damn sure work i had 8 plant's steadily growing in stable rh conditions with them. But your right It's MAYBE better to hit CL ,but for sake of ninja moves and value you can't beat these.
Respect

sixstring

sixstring

Before they added the activated Charcoal to the mix in damprid i was using 6 units of these spaced out amongst my vert chamber. Now stating i live in the dry part of the world, in the summer ina tent is really crazy rh levels, then you add that onto a larger room or closet. They damn sure work i had 8 plant's steadily growing in stable rh conditions with them. But your right It's MAYBE better to hit CL ,but for sake of ninja moves and value you can't beat these.
Respect

I fuckin lol'd at ninja moves bro :)
but yeah anyone that can get away without using a dehuey should def try these other options . dehuey can add so much cost and heat to smaller grows its crazy.i been trying not to run mine as much as possible latey and things seem good plus in saving 100 bucks a month easy on elec.
when I heard charcoal I instantly thought 10 or 12 brickettes in a nylon hung in a few places throught a tent or closet would be better than nothing.wonder if it would be of any help to break up the charcoal into smaller pieces?

burn4me

burn4me

i would think so. since products like the "damprid" have it in chunks. just my guess though. i admit its not for everyone but it will save a few pennies here and there.

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

I fuckin lol'd at ninja moves bro :)
but yeah anyone that can get away without using a dehuey should def try these other options . dehuey can add so much cost and heat to smaller grows its crazy.i been trying not to run mine as much as possible latey and things seem good plus in saving 100 bucks a month easy on elec.
when I heard charcoal I instantly thought 10 or 12 brickettes in a nylon hung in a few places throught a tent or closet would be better than nothing.wonder if it would be of any help to break up the charcoal into smaller pieces?

Wassup Brother Six! ! I totally agree, if your a peasant grower like myself, getting the cheapest way to dehuy is a savior. Im thinking grab some rock salt and charcoal and crush it up and do as you mentioned. Hope all's gravy brother!
Respect

burn4me

burn4me

hey @Gamrstwin36 whats you ideal RH for flower? whats the flux usually on the "outta control" days. just curious because mine has been running a little higher than it was. even with just one plant. im not concerned right yet since its only a week or so into flower but plan to try rock salt and charcoal if needed down the road of flowering. before i break down and buy dehuey. i mean i might have no choice once i fill my 5x5 full but until then..........

SUPER CHEAP BASTARD AWAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

burn4me

burn4me

Upload 2014 5 21 12 6 35

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

hey @Gamrstwin36 whats you ideal RH for flower? whats the flux usually on the "outta control" days. just curious because mine has been running a little higher than it was. even with just one plant. im not concerned right yet since its only a week or so into flower but plan to try rock salt and charcoal if needed down the road of flowering. before i break down and buy dehuey. i mean i might have no choice once i fill my 5x5 full but until then..........

SUPER CHEAP BASTARD AWAAAAAAAAAAAAY.

With seedlings, 70-80%, veg 50-80%,bloom 40-50%. I try to keep them at those stages in those ranges. And so presto working great. If i could get a grip on temperatures I'd be ina better place!
Tmb
Respect

Fyi NOTHING wrong with being cheap, and i know a few good hearted bastards lol

J

Jalisco Kid

Those products you listed absorb moisture over time. Most people get problems mainly from the plants dumping moisture at night. Those products will not help much there. A dehuey costs but unless you are growing trash, the buds you save from problems should pay for a dehuey. JK
We all try to go cheap in the beginning,then end up spending more on our girls then our women.

burn4me

burn4me

ive not tried these yet just figured id share info that seemed interesting to say he least in saving some money. and dont i know it. i hear from my wife ALL THE TIME! theres still plenty i would love but not enough cash flow to ease the addiction. lol

if this is wrong/useless info then at least reasons can be given as to why. maybe i jumped the gun on the name. but couldnt think at time.
heavy meds = brain farts:smug:

Gamrstwin36

Gamrstwin36

ive not tried these yet just figured id share info that seemed interesting to say he least in saving some money. and dont i know it. i hear from my wife ALL THE TIME! theres still plenty i would love but not enough cash flow to ease the addiction. lol

if this is wrong/useless info then at least reasons can be given as to why. maybe i jumped the gun on the name. but couldnt think at time.
heavy meds = brain farts:smug:

Not at all. Anybody can have an Opinion on what works for them. Im POSITIVE the damprid, in solid numbers will hold rh STEADY. but all depends on your set up. Talked to a Old school farmer, and he said rock salt and charcoal are forever good to use. Granted he said if im running past ten plant's it MIGHT be wise to work with a dehuey. To each its own i say.
Tmb
Respect

mr roboto

mr roboto

Doesnt most bbq charcoal have some sort of fuel absorbed into it? What do you guys think about a box of arm and hammer baking soda? I know it controls mells but does it work for humidity also? just wondering

Latest posts

Top Bottom