Cheap alternatives to overpriced hydroponic nutrients

• Thread starter Chronic Monster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Surfandgrow

Surfandgrow

Ill get back to you in two days I watered today already and I skip every other day.

FlyinJStable

FlyinJStable

Yes The great thing I have found in Jacks Mix is IMHO stick to the mix exactly and once made then Dilute half and half 25% 75% what ever your plant enjoys. This way the salt ratio to each other is right.
I may be stating the obvious but just trying to help.
Much respect Farmers

Surfandgrow

Surfandgrow

Here we go again and, whats this mean? Rez was filled with 50 gallons RO and 5 Gallons were added in the end to top off.

Starting flower solution + Protekt @ 3ml/Gallon =150ml
PH-8.3
EC-.4
PPM-190

Add Jacks @ 3g/G or 150g/55G REZ
PH-6.3
EC-1.1
PPM-570

Add Magnesium Sulfate @ 1g/G or 50g/55G REZ
PH-6.3
EC-1.8
PPM-680

Add Calcium Nitrate @ 1.8g/G or 90g/55G REZ
PH-6.3
EC-1.7
PPM-850

Add Most @ .5g/G or 25g/55G REZ
PH-5.8
EC-1.5
PPM-740

Add 5 Gallons of RO water
PH-5.9
EC-1.5
PPM 740

My Runoff however is a little frightening and what does this mean and what should I do? Plants look amazing! Just a little nute burn at the tip but they are chunky as hell and frosty as a snowman.
PH-5.5
EC-3.0
PPM-1380

@GR33NL3AF

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

Here we go again and, whats this mean? Rez was filled with 50 gallons RO and 5 Gallons were added in the end to top off.

PH-8.3
EC-.4
PPM-190

PH-6.3
EC-1.1
PPM-570

PH-6.3
EC-1.8
PPM-680

PH-6.3
EC-1.7
PPM-850

PH-5.8
EC-1.5
PPM-740

PH-5.9
EC-1.5
PPM 740

My Runoff however is a little frightening and what does this mean and what should I do? Plants look amazing! Just a little nute burn at the tip but they are chunky as hell and frosty as a snowman.
PH-5.5
EC-3.0
PPM-1380

@GR33NL3AF

3.0 EC is getting high enough. You might want to water with more runoff more frequently with a lower EC fertilizer- that would gradually remove salts from the media until you can stabilize the EC around 1.8-2.0. Keep an eye on the runoff EC over the coarse your watering schedule. If the runoff EC is going up lower the fertilizer EC. Surfactant's can help reduce salt build up i.e coco wet. I use Sea Green which has a bio-surfactant.

According to your notes the PH fluctuation after adding MOST is big-never knew it did that.

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

PH-8.3
EC-.4
PPM-190

PH-6.3
EC-1.1
PPM-570

PH-6.3
EC-1.8
PPM-680

PH-6.3
EC-1.7
PPM-850

PH-5.8
EC-1.5
PPM-740

PH-5.9
EC-1.5
PPM 740

PH-5.5
EC-3.0
PPM-1380

@GR33NL3AF
Great info above^

You're on track just follow Freshstart's info for flushing with a lower E.C.

Camdawg

Camdawg

I feel like using sea green really prevents nute burn especially in combo with jacks. I noticed almost perfect green leaves the whole way through and I think a few fellow farmers have stated the same.

Surfandgrow

Surfandgrow

LOL Oxnard that right by my house. I use sea green but I use it only as a foliar in Veg and yeah my veggies are rocking a hardcore green hue. Ive never tried it in flower. If I add it to my Rez how many ml/G you guys use. Should I use is once a week without running anything else that watering? I was using caps bennies but I stopped about two weeks ago. Im in week 8 of flower right now. If my numbers are high like that do you think I should lower the amount of fert I use or do I just need to do a heavy watering with a really light fert mix once a week? Im currently watering each 3 gallon pot every other day. I use about a gallon and a half and water till there is a good amount of runoff then I wait a day to let the pots dry out a bit. If I wanted to lower my Jacks and salt use but keep the same ratio how do I determine what my new grams per gallon are? can I simply take a half a gram per gallon out of my Jacks and Cal/nit and keep the same ratio?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

LOL Oxnard that right by my house. I use sea green but I use it only as a foliar in Veg and yeah my veggies are rocking a hardcore green hue. Ive never tried it in flower. If I add it to my Rez how many ml/G you guys use. Should I use is once a week without running anything else that watering? I was using caps bennies but I stopped about two weeks ago. Im in week 8 of flower right now. If my numbers are high like that do you think I should lower the amount of fert I use or do I just need to do a heavy watering with a really light fert mix once a week? Im currently watering each 3 gallon pot every other day. I use about a gallon and a half and water till there is a good amount of runoff then I wait a day to let the pots dry out a bit. If I wanted to lower my Jacks and salt use but keep the same ratio how do I determine what my new grams per gallon are? can I simply take a half a gram per gallon out of my Jacks and Cal/nit and keep the same ratio?
You're on week 8???? I would start backing that feed off asap. Start with 30 gallons worth of nutes diluted to 55 gallons. See where your ppm runoff is then. Sea green will help pull excessive salt from your medium, I would use it for the next 4-5 feedings at .5 ml per gallon.

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

If I wanted to lower my Jacks and salt use but keep the same ratio how do I determine what my new grams per gallon are? can I simply take a half a gram per gallon out of my Jacks and Cal/nit and keep the same ratio?

I agree with gr33nl3af its time to flush-unless you're working with a 10 week strain.
Math that will allow you to determine how much gram wieght in fertilizer to use in order to achieve desired PPM below.
(x)=Desired ppm
(a)=ratio
(b)=starting gram weight of fertilizer
(c)=gram weight fertilizer to add into rez

Equation.
(x)/(850)=(a)

(a)(b)=(c)

Example.
PH-6.3
EC-1.1
PPM-570

@GR33NL3AF

Desired PPM is 200.

200/850=.23

(.23)(150)=35.2

Keep the water schedule but lower the EC/PPM using the math above. Did I just confuse you?:wacky:

Surfandgrow

Surfandgrow

F@#K yeah that formula rocks. I was just asking my buddy if something like this was out there. Im so excited!!! I got some new numbas for ya.

So I decided to flush today to see what my numbers were like after yesterdays big spike. I figure those numbers are probably pretty close to normal for using the Jacks all the way through without flushing. After all I am in week 8.

Starting numbers in 55/G Rez after adding 30ml Seagreen, 2ml/G Flora Micro and ph down + 5 gallon of Jacks formula.
PH-5.9
EC-.4
PPM-250

Stardawg and Whitedawg are outputting after 15 second or half a gallon flush of above solution:
PH-5.5
EC-3.2
PPM-1600

Grand Daddy Purple, Green Crack and Cherry Pie are outputting after same flush:
PH-5.6
EC-3.5
PPM-1770

Stardawg and Whitedawg are outputting after second 15 second or half a gallon flush of above solution:
PH-5.6
EC-2.4
PPM-1140

Grand Daddy Purple, Green Crack and Cherry Pie are outputting after second above flush:
PH-5.6
EC-2.3
PPM-1120

Looks like Im on the right track. Im going to water the veggies tomorrow ill let you know what their numbers are.

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

So I decided to flush today to see what my numbers were like after yesterdays big spike. I figure those numbers are probably pretty close to normal for using the Jacks all the way through without flushing. After all I am in week 8.

I believe the numbers have less to do with normal and more to do with effective.

Starting numbers in 55/G Rez after adding 30ml Seagreen, 2ml/G Flora Micro and ph down + 5 gallon of Jacks formula.
PH-5.9
EC-.4
PPM-250

Where did flora micro come from?

GR33NL3AF

GR33NL3AF

Lol... Ya.... Don't use micro this late in flower!!!
In fact I would cut the cal nitrate too and just run hydro and Epsom... Oh and sea green.

You've got allot of flushing ahead of you..

Surfandgrow

Surfandgrow

I threw the micro in just to get my ppm up thats all. Ill cut the cal nit and just use the Jacks, Seagreen and epsom the rest of the way. Im going to hit the veggies in a few so ill post their numbers soon. I was going to mix 35 gallons worth of ingredients and add them to 55 gallons of water for my flush.

Surfandgrow

Surfandgrow

Veggie time!

I added 1ml/G calmag, 2ml/G flora micro, .5ml/G Seagreen and 1ml/G fascilitor.

Starting water before adding any solution:
PPM-00
EC-.2
PH-6.5

After mixing working solution:
PPM-240
EC-.4
PH-5.4

Working solution runoff:
PPM-680
EC1.3
PH-5.9

So odd, I feed the veggies the same exact formula as the flowers I thought my numbers would be the same. I guess the veggies have only been getting fed Jacks for 3 weeks while the flowers have been getting it the whole time. I guess I just need to flush once a week. Ill do a Caps bennies flush once a week will a little fascilitor and Seagreen unless you guys think those things shouldnt go together at the same time. I love experimenting. After I figure this Jacks shit out Im sticking to one plan until I get another hair up my ass.

Owlfarm

Owlfarm

Thanks for the book recommendation fresh starts. I got a copy of hydroponic food production a few days ago and I've been studying it like crazy. I've already got teaming with microbes, it was a good one.
I've been using your formula and og ghost train is looking great, I'll know in a month or so if the weight is there. I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but I'm running undercurrent systems. Is the ratio you recommend the same for water culture? How about soil? would you change it up for either of these?
Do you like to run sterile systems, or use microbe teas? Lately I've been doing Jacks and microbe teas weekly as a foliar and in the nute solution.

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

Thanks for the book recommendation fresh starts. I got a copy of hydroponic food production a few days ago and I've been studying it like crazy. I've already got teaming with microbes, it was a good one.
I've been using your formula and og ghost train is looking great, I'll know in a month or so if the weight is there. I'm not sure if I mentioned this, but I'm running undercurrent systems. Is the ratio you recommend the same for water culture? How about soil? would you change it up for either of these?
Do you like to run sterile systems, or use microbe teas? Lately I've been doing Jacks and microbe teas weekly as a foliar and in the nute solution.

Glad to hear that Jacks is doing you well. Jacks professional Hydroponic formula was designed for true hydroponics and thus can be used to great effect in water culture- I'm not so sure about the formula being used in soil.

I am a huge fan of using beneficial microbes with Jacks in coco. Namely OG biowar tea has proven its worth to me by staving off root aphid infestations and virtually eliminating bud rot.

The only sterile extension in my garden are my cuttings in rockwool and/or my ezcloner. After that they get ebb and flo with jacks and tea.

Latest posts

Top Bottom