Cheap alternatives to overpriced hydroponic nutrients

• Thread starter Chronic Monster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Camdawg

Camdawg

I read the whole thread and still pm'd a few contributors to ask about specifics such as veg vs flower formulas. Just to not the only difference is some cut back a little on cal nit in flower ie 321 veg 3/1.7/1 2nd half of flower

K

krinen

Ok, I have read about some of you making a concentrated batch. I read one post, can't remember the author, but it was 3 lbs Jacks in a one gallon container. I would assume that you would then mix 2lbs Nit in a separate 1 gal container and measure out equal parts to get your 3:2 ratio?

Does anyone have a good recipe for a stock? Also what mL are you then adding per gal? I'm using RO water at a PPM of 2

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

Ok, I have read about some of you making a concentrated batch. I read one post, can't remember the author, but it was 3 lbs Jacks in a one gallon container. I would assume that you would then mix 2lbs Nit in a separate 1 gal container and measure out equal parts to get your 3:2 ratio?

Does anyone have a good recipe for a stock? Also what mL are you then adding per gal? I'm using RO water at a PPM of 2
multiply your per gallon amounts by 380 and use at 10ml per gallon. Or 250x and use at 15ml per gallon. don't put Jack's and cal nit in the same concentrate

connoisseurde420

connoisseurde420

@krinen it brings to the same value as measuring it out dry and dumping in your res. Except your measuring the liquid. for example, if 3-2-1 makes ec 1.0 then concentrate will do the same

K

krinen

@krinen it brings to the same value as measuring it out dry and dumping in your res. Except your measuring the liquid. for example, if 3-2-1 makes ec 1.0 then concentrate will do the same

Ok I guess I was just confused where the 380 number came from. So if I normally do 3g/gal jacks it would be 1140g for concentrate correct? Also does the container size/volume that I am storing it in play a role. The containers that I have are 3 liter.

tweedy

tweedy

Anyone play around with their orchid formula? 12-3-15 and made for RO/rain/distilled. Would like to hear opinions if you have and what medium you used.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I put mine in 5 gallon buckets with a spin tight lid they are in the paint section at home depot. I might try the Jacks again on a few girl scout cookies to see how it works with them. I was really impressed with the taste of the bud with Jacks I will admit that it was a much cleaner taste.

My guess is you did not allow for enough runoff. Small buds usually means too much food.

Surfandgrow

Surfandgrow

Probably right. The jacks really builds up in the coco like no ones bizness but I did yield more this time with it then I did the last run without but I scrogged everything and thats what made the difference. I know there wasnt enough run off but it was never a problem before with the Jacks it is. I was getting crazy EC readings on my run off of like 3.4 but the plants looked great.

K

krinen

My guess is you did not allow for enough runoff. Small buds usually means too much food.

Due to Coco's ability to hold on to salts and the build up properties of Jack's, what EC would you recommend in a flood and drain situation. I was running about a 1.4EC, everything looks great, although I am not seeing the weight pack on like I did in a top feed.

I was thinking about starting to flush with straight RO water every week or two via top feed just to flush out built up salts, good or bad idea?

Surfandgrow

Surfandgrow

Never flush with straight RO!!!!! Instead use a 15% solution and feed till runoff. Your plants will tell you what EC they like. Like I said my runoff was 3.4 at one point and I wasnt getting any leaf curl or tip burn. I usually run at about 1.5 with the GH stuff at week 8 of flower. Use OG biowar and sea green they will help keep salt from building up in your medium. Go back to top feed.

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

I am back to jacks again for simplicity, but I am using a lot less. Currently I am using:

3mL cal mag
.5 grams Epsom
1.5 grams 5-12-26
1 gram CaNO3

and:
15mL herculean harvest
5mL poseidenzyme
5mL zeuss juice
fasilitor 1/2mL per gal first 3 weeks only.

I finally had the time to run the numbers into the cannastat calculator to see what the profile looked like. It was interesting to me becuase the thought of cutting down the Cal/Nit and using a calcium supplement sounds like a good way to cut nitrogen out of the mix during late flower. So far the profile that comes up in the calculator doesnt make any sense to me. The N-p-k values are roughly 3.5-1-4 which sound ok but the calcium and magnesium levels are confusing. How did you come up with this?

Nitro=77
Phos=21
Potassium=86
Cal=73
Mag=86

@Capulator

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
I finally had the time to run the numbers into the cannastat calculator to see what the profile looked like. It was interesting to me becuase the thought of cutting down the Cal/Nit and using a calcium supplement sounds like a good way to cut nitrogen out of the mix during late flower. So far the profile that comes up in the calculator doesnt make any sense to me. The N-p-k values are roughly 3.5-1-4 which sound ok but the calcium and magnesium levels are confusing. How did you come up with this?

Nitro=77
Phos=21
Potassium=86
Cal=73
Mag=86

@Capulator

I am no longer using this formula, but keep in mind that I use tap water and have had my water analyzed. It has 60ppm Ca.

I will post the formula I am using now, which is an old formula I used to use. It is working very very well. I use this on all my veg plants and weeks 1-3 of flower. After that I boost with some MAP and MKP, and cut the CaNO3 to like 70%. Last 2 weeks I am pretty much doing just water.

MrBanjo

MrBanjo

I'm thinking about making the switch to Jacks pro, the formulas I've read have varied quite a bit, but I was going to go with the basics per gallon:

3 grams Jacks hyrdo
2 grams Jacks calcium nitrate
1 gram Epsom salt
.5 gram of Jacks blossom booster (starting at three weeks flower)

growing in a medium of coco/clay pellet mix,

I currently run Technaflora, 'over-priced hyrdoponic nutrients'. Though my nutrient costs aren't too high right now, I'd be a happy camper if I could cut them even further. I currently spend approximately $250 (+/- 50) a year. If I make the switch, it will be an initial cost of only 147.34 for what I believe will last years.

How long does this stuff keep if I seal it in a food-grade five gallon? Does it matter which brand of Epsom salt I purchase? Is the recipe I plan to use acceptable for the full life cycle of my plants? Does the order in which I dissolve my nutrients matter?

I appreciate any feedback on the recipe, tips, thoughts, whatever. Thanks guys & gals.

Surfandgrow

Surfandgrow

My experience with Jacks:

Id keep the formula the same except 1.8 grams on the cal nit. As long as the salts dont get wet they will last for years in the home depot 5 buckets with spin tight lids. I went with all food grade salts they are one step better quality above greenhouse grade. This formula will work all the way through from veg through flower. I mixed in 40 gallons worth of nutes in 55 gallons of water to dilute the solution slightly. Your plants will tell you what they need if you know how to read them. Dissolve Jacks then epsom and then booster and lastly the cal/nit. I would use seagreen every thursday and ogbiowar tea every monday. Foliar your veggies with these as well. The bloom booster should be uses at half strength during week 4 and again at 3/4-full strength during weeks 6-8. Water till it flows out of the bottom of the container. Coco holds on to Jacks like you wouldnt believe. Honestly though if your nutrient bill is that low for a year I wouldnt worry about your cost as much as I would worry about its quality and what it does for your bud. Maybe Canna or H & G would cost you more but you will probably get better results. If you want quality you only need to run an A, B and cal/mag and your plants will do great.

MrBanjo

MrBanjo

I wouldnt worry about your cost as much as I would worry about its quality and what it does for your bud. Maybe Canna or H & G would cost you more but you will probably get better results. If you want quality you only need to run an A, B and cal/mag and your plants will do great.

Thanks for the advice on the Jacks, and seagreen looks great, I've never used it.

I should say, I'm absolutely fine spending more to achieve better nugs. I'd say I currently just get average results. I've used some different things, and always end up coming back to technaflora. I've considered using Nectar of The Gods. Canna, huh? I didn't find anything when I looked that up.

Top Bottom