Cheap alternatives to overpriced hydroponic nutrients

• Thread starter Chronic Monster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
youngOG

youngOG

Imo almost all bottled nutes are over priced. Hell even shit like citric acid.

I would say most experienced growers have a good understanding of so called "Nutrient chemistry" and @BillFarthing definitely does. Its not some rocket science and as Bill said the information ans calculators are extremely easy to find.

I would say those who don't understand it to some level have not tried to learn.
there are thousand of ways to optimize other than nutrient bottles, if you like to formulate it by yourself no problem
its a sport for some
thats the last thing i would optimize
the most talented growers i saw (dutch growing in very hih scale with techniques you will never see on forum) use bottle nutrients
do it by yourself make it complicate where its not necessary
just my opinion
not sure 40 or 45 euros for 10 liters of a+b is expensive, but its a matter of point of view

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

there are thousand of ways to optimize other than nutrient bottles, if you like to formulate it by yourself no problem
its a sport for some
the most talented growers i saw (dutch growing in very hih scale with techniques you will never see on forum) use bottle nutrients
just my opinion
not sure 40 or 45 euros for 10 liters of a+b is expensive, but its a matter of point of view
Its only complicated if you don't understand it. And when you don't understand it then you don't understand the impacts when adding other amendments.

Its something that IMO should not be last on the list but hey we all have our opinions but its probably important to understand something before forming an opinion on it

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

its a sport for some
just my opinion

Yes the dutch are business minded people. They invented the over priced bottled hydroponic nutrient system.

And they are aware they made uneducated growers over pay. Any business would be.

Commercial growers I have met and seen the grows mostly used commercial powdered nutrients like yara or peters.

And bottled nutrients are known as hobby fertilizer.

And real enthusiasts learn to mix their own.

I use bottles. At the size of my small garden the cost is negligable.

Right tool for the job and all that.

What is your point?. We should all pay for overpriced watered down nutrients?

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
its a sport for some
just my opinion

I mean I guess if you are ok with paying for 5 euros or less of actual chemicals and another 40 euros for water. But then again it's a matter of points of views. I think dry vs liquid nutes is a different discussion vs making your own salt mixes and buying it. Liquid is just a bad deal, no matter how you look at it vs shipping, unless it's something that requires it. You also have dilution rates you have to consider vs dry amendments so you can never get more product in a liquid state.

And you are correct for 10 liters it isn't like you are breaking the bank. What about when you go through 10L or more a day? Over the span of years? Commercial applications have a different dynamic. The exact opposite is what I have always seen. Very seldom have I ever seen liquid nutes used at any type of scale in any other industries. They are mostly on injection with stock tanks they mix from dry chems. Most commercial hydroponic mixes you buy in bulk are 2 part dry. They don't even make liquid nutes. Liquid nutes are just premixed stock tanks with a screw on lid.

youngOG

youngOG

Yes the dutch are business minded people. They invented the over priced bottled hydroponic nutrient system.

And they are aware they made uneducated growers over pay. Any business would be.

Commercial growers I have met and seen the grows mostly used commercial powdered nutrients like yara or peters.

And bottled nutrients are known as hobby fertilizer.

And real enthusiasts learn to mix their own.

I use bottles. At the size of my small garden the cost is negligable.

Right tool for the job and all that.

What is your point?. We should all pay for overpriced watered down nutrients?
not all brands of liqui nutrients a stealers .. would be stupid to think so
powders will no give the same quality as bottles .. these also contains fulvic ..
and were tested for years
not saying it cant be done by yourself
takes time and trials/errors
learn how to install cooling setups/ crop steering/ drip irrigation.. before thinking create your own mixes

dont get me wrong i respect people trying to make their own mixes, i dont spit on em
we must all impregnate ourself with the knowledge of others ..
and not dutch are not what you think
they are among the most sharp growers in the world, lot of american growers have a lot to learn from them

youngOG

youngOG

I mean I guess if you are ok with paying for 5 euros or less of actual chemicals and another 40 euros for water. But then again it's a matter of points of views. I think dry vs liquid nutes is a different discussion vs making your own salt mixes and buying it. Liquid is just a bad deal, no matter how you look at it vs shipping, unless it's something that requires it. You also have dilution rates you have to consider vs dry amendments so you can never get more product in a liquid state.

And you are correct for 10 liters it isn't like you are breaking the bank. What about when you go through 10L or more a day? Over the span of years? Commercial applications have a different dynamic. The exact opposite is what I have always seen. Very seldom have I ever seen liquid nutes used at any type of scale in any other industries. They are mostly on injection with stock tanks they mix from dry chems. Most commercial hydroponic mixes you buy in bulk are 2 part dry. They don't even make liquid nutes. Liquid nutes are just premixed stock tanks with a screw on lid.
man .. injection with dosatrons are mainly gadjet and can be easily avoided with some good practices for cann a farming

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

powders will no give the same quality as bottles .. these also contains fulvic ..
learn how to install cooling setups/ crop steering/ drip irrigation.. before thinking create your own mixes

dont get me wrong i respect people trying to make their own mixes, i dont spit on em
they are among the most sharp growers in the world, lot of american growers have a lot to learn from them

I use dyna grow. They are by far the most concentrated and lowest priced bottle nute because of the concentration.

It still costs 4x what even small bags of powdered jacks classic costs per dose.

Additives like fulvic are a seperate discussion imo. Talk about overpriced stuff for little to no benefit.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter

which exact dutch people or companies are you talking about?

Dr.Green55

Dr.Green55

Not really sure what your argument is against powered nutes, , bottled nutes are fine for a hobby grower or small scale grower, there a one size fits all that gets the done, thats it, but their watered down nutes thats very expensive, thats my opinion, good quality powered nutes are as good or better then anything in a bottle and if your mixing a fair bit they are by far cheaper then bottled stuff thats just fact. not only that, you have the freedom to customize the formula to your setup.Its easy to do, anyone can learn it, all the info is on the net, hell when I started mixing we never even had the online calculators like now. its nothing secret about the only reason I don't give out my formulas is be cause i've dialed them into my setup and there probably not going to work in other setups, but there is plenty basic recipes online to start with and work from there.

And by the way I've been on both sides commercial and small time grows, and when I was in commercial the only big guys using anything out of a bottle was because it was free or very close to it, and in return they had to say how good it was, lol , what they did tell you is what the other nutes were they used as well to supplement with, and funny how they all seem to move away from them, but the guy going to the hydro sure pays for them.

When you talk about these talented growers using techniques you will never see on forums, yeah your kinda right,and I could probably fill you in on a few, some of it works some of doesn't, but 99% of it isn't feasible,or practical for the smaller home grower, growing for themselves.

I the end people should use whatever the like the best bottled or powdered, but if the opinion is bottles is better and cheaper, not sure how well informed the opinion is.

Last edited:
youngOG

youngOG

Not really sure what your argument is against powered nutes, , bottled nutes are fine for a hobby grower or small scale grower, there a one size fits all that gets the done, thats it, but their watered down nutes thats very expensive, thats my opinion, good quality powered nutes are as good or better then anything in a bottle and if your mixing a fair bit they are by far cheaper then bottled stuff thats just fact. not only that, you have the freedom to customize the formula to your setup.Its easy to do, anyone can learn it, all the info is on the net, hell when I started mixing we never even had the online calculators like now. its nothing secret about the only reason I don't give out my formulas is be cause i've dialed them into my setup and there probably not going to work in other setups, but there is plenty basic recipes online to start with and work from there.

And by the way I've been on both sides commercial and small time grows, and when I was in commercial the only big guys using anything out of a bottle was because it was free or very close to it, and in return they had to say how good it was, lol , what they did tell you is what the other nutes were they used as well to supplement with, and funny how they all seem to move away from them, but the guy going to the hydro sure pays for them.

When you talk about these talented growers using techniques you will never see on forums, yeah your kinda right,and I could probably fill you in on a few, some of it works some of doesn't, but 99% of it isn't feasible,or practical for the smaller home grower, growing for themselves.

I the end people should use whatever the like the best bottled or powdered, but if the opinion is bottles is better and cheaper, not sure how well informed the opinion is.
no arguments against, its the same
just conveniance
most of you cant grow half smokable bud and better question themself about base of growing before playing chemist an try to imitate companies that do it since decades

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
just conveniance
I cant grow half smokable bud and better question myself about base of growing before playing chemist an try to imitate companies that do it since decades

Keep at it man. One of these days you will be able to grow good nugs and understand chemistry. I got faith in you. As long as you listen to a Dutch person and use bottles.

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

just conveniance
most of you cant grow half smokable bud and better question themself about base of growing before playing chemist an try to imitate companies that do it since decades

You should learn to pay attention who you are talking to. Some of these growers have been growing since the 70’s. And some are quite educated in agriculture and even biology.

You sound like a new industry company water boy.

youngOG

youngOG

You should learn to pay attention who you are talking to. Some of these growers have been growing since the 70’s. And some are quite educated in agriculture and even biology.

You sound like a new industry company water boy.
broscience you mean

Aqua Man

Aqua Man

broscience you mean
Says the new guy who spouts generalized information, won't answer specific questions, thinks mixing nutrients is some rocket science and thinks his opinion is the right one without understanding anything about the subject.

Kinda seems like your view is a regurgitation of someone's view you read online or off YouTube.

Idk what forum your used to but I can guess. But here we usually discus things with specifics based on facts, opinions and experience. So please feel free to present some facts based on those but please understand your not likely to get much credit on your opinions without facts or experience on the subject.

Latest posts

Top Bottom