Cheap alternatives to overpriced hydroponic nutrients

• Thread starter Chronic Monster
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
I

ilaughlast

dam bro. hope you get well and remember to cough when they pull that thing out. did you have endocarditis? what gives thats a burly iv style lol≥

B

basement bob

Deep breath, then exhale.
Feels weird having something pulled out of your heart. o_O
I had Deep vein thrombosis with pulmonary embolism in both lungs.

Thanks for the kinds words. You know you feel crappy when you don't want to research cannabis ;)

Bob

Big JAE

Big JAE

Yeah in the notes it says about mixing the cano separately.
So you guys liked the recipe they gave me huh? well I found a place that has it and it comments in one single nutrient mix as a base, then you can add your additives, I'm getting it plus a bottle of the purest kelp extract

Big JAE

Big JAE

Here is where I spoke with owner who said his mix had everything my recipe had plus much more. This site even has the fulvic acids that if added to the kelp extract make it work 50% better! This stuff is killer and at $30 for 2lbs that makes 100 gallons of concent4rate

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

@Fresh Starts you can combine everything except the CaNO3 for your part A and your part B would be the CaNO3. I also recently added back agsil to my program and that would be my part A as a stand alone, followed by the rest of it (except CaNO3) as part B, and the CaNO3 as part C.

What ppm of silica are you aiming for? @Capulator

Fresh Starts

Fresh Starts

Here is where I spoke with owner who said his mix had everything my recipe had plus much more. This site even has the fulvic acids that if added to the kelp extract make it work 50% better! This stuff is killer and at $30 for 2lbs that makes 100 gallons of concent4rate

Which site are you referring too?

B

basement bob

This is a great explanation of everything from water source down to feeding. It's from Arizona U. Another great read that will sum up slash answer many questions in this thread. The math examples alone at the end of the document will hopefully explain the calculations, but you can still use the calculator. Just double check your math.

@Capulator but still not the one I'm looking for. Still looking and watching world series. I'll find. Sometime/day.

Bob

View attachment FERTIGATION SYSTEMS AND NUTRIENT SOLUTIONS.pdf
Big JAE

Big JAE

Which site are you referring too?

https://www.kelp4less.com/shop/grow-pack/ After researching powder nutrients for about 10 days (not paying for water anymore) and giving this company a basic recipe, they had a veg / grow mix that had everything plus a bunch more including the Kelp, fulvic acids to make the kelp extract 50% stronger. the correct amount of salts, all specific to cannabis. $29.99 for a 1lb I'll pay any day. So it's a few bucks more than maxigrow, big deal, I'd rather pay the $10 to have a dialed in mix made by a professional botany chemist. I will post a journal once it gets here and I start using it. Only have enough AN nutrients left for about ten days so have no choice. Refuse to pay for water and get laughed at by the commercial community.

P

polarbeardav

So I have read this thread in it's entirety about 2.5 months back and have already been experimenting with jacks for a while, but recently (about a day ago after my latest rdwc flood) I decided to switch to coco. I understand as much about the cation exchange capacity (CEC) for short as I am going to, but I do have one question about using synthetics, bennies, and coco together. I understand that most people pre-soak and pre-charge their coco with some sort of cal-mag product and a light nutrient solution. Can we just pre-charge with the all of the correct elemental level PPMS in our base solution just at a diluted rate, or will the ca, mg, and K still need to be dominant in the coco pre-charge solution. I am basically trying to figure out what I want to purchase for my regiment in the next run, and would like to pass on the cal-mag if possible. I can easily whip up an epsom and ca25 solution to pre-charge if I need to if that would work. I plan on doing low ec frequent waterings if that makes a difference to anybody. Starting with RO water. I also have not decided on what coco I will purchase but I will be making sure the coco is ph'd and charged before i drop anything into it.

jimmy the hat

jimmy the hat

So I have read this thread in it's entirety about 2.5 months back and have already been experimenting with jacks for a while, but recently (about a day ago after my latest rdwc flood) I decided to switch to coco. I understand as much about the cation exchange capacity (CEC) for short as I am going to, but I do have one question about using synthetics, bennies, and coco together. I understand that most people pre-soak and pre-charge their coco with some sort of cal-mag product and a light nutrient solution. Can we just pre-charge with the all of the correct elemental level PPMS in our base solution just at a diluted rate, or will the ca, mg, and K still need to be dominant in the coco pre-charge solution. I am basically trying to figure out what I want to purchase for my regiment in the next run, and would like to pass on the cal-mag if possible. I can easily whip up an epsom and ca25 solution to pre-charge if I need to if that would work. I plan on doing low ec frequent waterings if that makes a difference to anybody. Starting with RO water. I also have not decided on what coco I will purchase but I will be making sure the coco is ph'd and charged before i drop anything into it.
try coco loco w/ jacks,CaNO3,andMgSO4....very easy...coco is cheap and preamended......and once a week or so flush through with bennie tea....

P

polarbeardav

The Fox farm bush doctor one? I can easily use hydro buddy and mix my own salts as weighing them out isn't really a problem for me for about a 30 gal res. I know balancing out the MgSO4 will help with the other nutrient availability, but I want to make sure I treat the substrate properly because I will be germinating, cloning, and transplanting all into the same coir medium and would like to prep my entire bag of coco at the same time. I will already be mixing in some grow stones and hydroton because I already have a literal FUCK ton of that stuff left over, so I feel like I won't necessarily have as much of a potential problem as with straight coco. Anyways, I already was going to try out the basic 3-2-1 jacks formula, but wanted some input on the easiest way to saturate the CEC matrix and if there was a way to do it already using my base nutes.

P

polarbeardav

Just as an FYI I ended up picking up the coco loco after the shop guy informed me that not only was it pre-charged and washed and all that jazz, but there were also a healthy variety of beneficial bacteria already amended in. He was a big fan of coco himself. Will be trying out and try to put together a transition thread for people thinking of transitioning to jacks even from different types of hydroponic growth.

jimmy the hat

jimmy the hat

Just as an FYI I ended up picking up the coco loco after the shop guy informed me that not only was it pre-charged and washed and all that jazz, but there were also a healthy variety of beneficial bacteria already amended in. He was a big fan of coco himself. Will be trying out and try to put together a transition thread for people thinking of transitioning to jacks even from different types of hydroponic growth.
you will be pleased with the results....

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

https://www.kelp4less.com/shop/grow-pack/ After researching powder nutrients for about 10 days (not paying for water anymore) and giving this company a basic recipe, they had a veg / grow mix that had everything plus a bunch more including the Kelp, fulvic acids to make the kelp extract 50% stronger. the correct amount of salts, all specific to cannabis. $29.99 for a 1lb I'll pay any day. So it's a few bucks more than maxigrow, big deal, I'd rather pay the $10 to have a dialed in mix made by a professional botany chemist. I will post a journal once it gets here and I start using it. Only have enough AN nutrients left for about ten days so have no choice. Refuse to pay for water and get laughed at by the commercial community.

have you looked at Veg+Bloom powder? It's cheaper if you're looking for a one-part premix. Kelp4less is a little pricey you may want to check in with a local nursery or greenhouse and see if they would be interested in ordering you salts. You may not be paying for water but you're still being laughed at for paying triple.

Big JAE

Big JAE

I actually got the veg + bloom about two weeks ago and have seen some rapid changes. Some good some not so good. For some reason the PH just flies all over the place. I have basically as close to a laboratory set up so their is no change in environment. Besides running a 50lb co2 kickin at 1200 ppm (since I put refrigerator seal replacement on my door) 2 1k hid MH air cooled lights, 8ft x 7ft x 10ft hidden room, 5 gallon DWC bucket w 10 inch net pot filled with hydroton, running 8 headband ladies bonsai LST monster cropped 3 revolutions. 4 I've been running the veg+bloom, 4 I've been running same 3 part PH perfect Advanced Nutrients. The AN plants I never have to mess with or even check the PH. The veg bloom plants have 100% on a different feeding schedule and weirdly chow like pigs grow fast even stretch than crash like a diabetic instead of what I would consider the norm. I also use 5ml per gallon protek with 5ml calmag with every gallon of water the AN plants get (normal routine) and once during weeks 2,4,6,8 I use a PURE seaweed extract foliar spray. I gave just the foliar and protek to the veg bloom plants, so the only dif besides nutes was the cal mag. It's been really hard to argue against the AN 3 part or even the 2 part conni when it is engineered to grow weed. I'm sure once it's legal in 25 states there will be a walmart brand grow weed nutrient line and I'll stop donating so much $ to AN stock! In the meantime I search on for perfection! lol

pugliese63

pugliese63

I said I would post this up so here it is:

For all of my strains I run this now, and as long as I water to runoff everything blows up.

Veg:

149:45:118:47:75:136 (N: P :K:Mg:S:Ca) <--- 128ppm NO3, 21ppm NH4

Bloom (starting week 4):

Same as above but I take out the MAP, Switch for MKP and reduce CaNO3 by 20%

114:45:148:47:75:109 <----- 7ppm NH4

This is a great raw salts formula. I am also adding organics (kelp, fishmeal, wormcastings) dry between runs.

weeks 6 and 7 I add molasses 5ml/gal.

Last week only water.

To achieve the formulas I use jacks hydro 5-12-26 @ 1.5 grams, MAP @ 0.4 grams or MKP @0.4 grams (veg or bloom), K2SO4 @ 0.3 grams , CaNO3 @ 2.85 or 2.3 grams, and epsom salt @ 1 gram.

per gallon of course.

I do use AN ph down at 1mL per gal as well. LA city tap water.

This has been in use for roughly 8 months now and I am doing very well with it. So well that I stopped tinkering.

Been a while since I've checked in on this thread. One of the best on the farm. I've gained a lot from it.

I was given the following formula by @dizzlekush more than a year ago. I've ran had very good results. I'd be interested in hearing your feedback as I'm always looking to optimize my methods.

I grow drain to waste in a chow mix of Coco, rockwool, and hydroton.

For flower I run per gallon:

2.5 grams JPH
2.5 grams Calnitrate
.5 grams Ammonium Sulphate (first 3 to 4 weeks, strain dependent)
.5 grams Ammonium Phosphate, dibasic ASC grade (weeks 4 through 6 or 7 depending on the strain.
5 ml Bio Weed (kelp)

After catching up on everything here I feel I could make some adjustments, lower my EC and water more frequently.

Again, this is one of the best threads on here and have greatly appreciated your contributions.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

I actually got the veg + bloom about two weeks ago and have seen some rapid changes. Some good some not so good. For some reason the PH just flies all over the place. I have basically as close to a laboratory set up so their is no change in environment. Besides running a 50lb co2 kickin at 1200 ppm (since I put refrigerator seal replacement on my door) 2 1k hid MH air cooled lights, 8ft x 7ft x 10ft hidden room, 5 gallon DWC bucket w 10 inch net pot filled with hydroton, running 8 headband ladies bonsai LST monster cropped 3 revolutions. 4 I've been running the veg+bloom, 4 I've been running same 3 part PH perfect Advanced Nutrients. The AN plants I never have to mess with or even check the PH. The veg bloom plants have 100% on a different feeding schedule and weirdly chow like pigs grow fast even stretch than crash like a diabetic instead of what I would consider the norm. I also use 5ml per gallon protek with 5ml calmag with every gallon of water the AN plants get (normal routine) and once during weeks 2,4,6,8 I use a PURE seaweed extract foliar spray. I gave just the foliar and protek to the veg bloom plants, so the only dif besides nutes was the cal mag. It's been really hard to argue against the AN 3 part or even the 2 part conni when it is engineered to grow weed. I'm sure once it's legal in 25 states there will be a walmart brand grow weed nutrient line and I'll stop donating so much $ to AN stock! In the meantime I search on for perfection! lol

this room fed straight veg bloom @ full strength from the day they went in the pot, NOTHING ELSE but tea twice a month. Flush was a week ago, these are choppin tomorrow.

IMG 20141108 101045294

Chemdog's Sister

IMG 20141108 101114835

Afghani

IMG 20141108 101328813

Moonshine Haze

I spend just over 700 dollars on nutes from cutting to harvest on a 25 light, 150 plant room. A week in cloners, six weeks in veg, then flower. I used to check ph but never adjust it (always sits between 5.8 and 6.4 with MY water, even after sitting for two days) so I haven't been pH'ing for about four months. Literally just dump the dixie cup in the res, wait 15 mintes, and water. Then I go spend all the money I save on new clothes and beer, which i drink out of my old measuring cup I don't have to use anymore.

And I could argue against AN all day, at least my wallet and sense of ethic could...

.14 cents a gallon, US company, and it saves me an hour every day. Oh and it works.
IMG 20141108 093851553

Last edited:
Top Bottom