Cheap, easy cloning technique for small batches

• Thread starter altitudefarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I recommend this method for anyone taking just a few cuts who doesn't feel the need to spend $30+ on a rooting tray and plugs, etc.
First you need a healthy mom. In this case, White Fire.
Cheap easy cloning technique for small batches

Next, you need solo cups, both cleared and colored version. I use a slightly larger clear cup or cut the top of the solid-colored cup so that they fit together.
Cheap easy cloning technique for small batches 2

Fill the solid cup with a good organic soil mix; I used 1/3 B'cuzz coco and 2/3 Roots Organic in this case. Wet the soil with am EXTREMELY mild cloning solution, or non-chlorinated water.
Cheap easy cloning technique for small batches 3

Next, push a hole in the soil with a finger or something similar. I like to fill this hole with 1/4 tsp of Azos for faster results, but it's not necessary.
Cheap easy cloning technique for small batches 4

Take your cut carefully, slicing, not chopping. use a sharp blade instead of scissors. You do NOT want to bruise the stem. If using Azos, no rooting gel is required. I have had success with and without rooting gel/Azos, sometimes it takes a couple more days to get roots. Place at least one node under the soil, and one or two on top.
Cheap easy cloning technique for small batches 5

Then trim back the fan leaves a little so the "humidity dome" will fit over the cut.
Cheap easy cloning technique for small batches 6

Add your humidome, and in an hour or two you should see condensation on the top cup.
Cheap easy cloning technique for small batches 7

Cheap easy cloning technique for small batches 8

Tuck your cut to the side or among your vegging plants or mothers. The cloning process does require some light, but not much. In 7-10 days, you should have new growth, showing that roots have formed and the plant is on its merry way. If you use rooting gel or Azos, the time can be cut in half. If your moisture content as pretty good in the cup, you should also not have to re-water or spray the cuts. My recommendadtion is to not touch the clone or remove the dome until you have new growth.

Cheap easy cloning technique for small batches 9

Good luck! I hope you found this interesting and informative. And yes, that is a rosemary plant in this cabinet, as added prevention against spider mites.
Peace, Alt.

H

happy b

Great thread.a pal is currently trying to find a way to send me some cuts of gsc,gg4 and uberdawg(hopefully)we,r both in the same country and parcels only take a day or two to be delivered.will have to look into the wee mcflurry thingy.

phoenixfire

phoenixfire

I recommend this method for anyone taking just a few cuts who doesn't feel the need to spend $30+ on a rooting tray and plugs, etc.
View attachment 333676

Next, you need solo cups, both cleared and colored version. I use a slightly larger clear cup or cut the top of the solid-colored cup so that they fit together.
View attachment 333678

Fill the solid cup with a good organic soil mix; I used 1/3 B'cuzz coco and 2/3 Roots Organic in this case. Wet the soil with am EXTREMELY mild cloning solution, or non-chlorinated water.
View attachment 333679

Next, push a hole in the soil with a finger or something similar. I like to fill this hole with 1/4 tsp of Azos for faster results, but it's not necessary.
View attachment 333680

Take your cut carefully, slicing, not chopping. use a sharp blade instead of scissors. You do NOT want to bruise the stem. If using Azos, no rooting gel is required. I have had success with and without rooting gel/Azos, sometimes it takes a couple more days to get roots. Place at least one node under the soil, and one or two on top.
View attachment 333681

Then trim back the fan leaves a little so the "humidity dome" will fit over the cut.
View attachment 333682

Add your humidome, and in an hour or two you should see condensation on the top cup.
View attachment 333683

View attachment 333684

Tuck your cut to the side or among your vegging plants or mothers. The cloning process does require some light, but not much. In 7-10 days, you should have new growth, showing that roots have formed and the plant is on its merry way. If you use rooting gel or Azos, the time can be cut in half. If your moisture content as pretty good in the cup, you should also not have to re-water or spray the cuts. My recommendadtion is to not touch the clone or remove the dome until you have new growth.

View attachment 333685

Good luck! I hope you found this interesting and informative. And yes, that is a rosemary plant in this cabinet, as added prevention against spider mites.
Peace, Alt.
Cloning in soil is cool but does it or is it as good as sterile hydro methods?

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

I have had better success with commercial trays and plugs, for sure. I rarely lose a clone in them any more. I get about 75-80% directly in soil. Azos greatly increases the success ratio. Cloners will either work great or fail completely, in my experience. I have used them in the past, but not any more.

miko

miko

View attachment 333676

View attachment 333678

View attachment 333679

View attachment 333680

View attachment 333681

View attachment 333682

View attachment 333683

View attachment 333684

View attachment 333685

Peace, Alt.
still using the method?

Goz

Goz

I do it the exact same way but all I do is were I have sliced the stem at an angle I slice up into the stem about half an inch , coat the slice on the stem in honey put it in the soiL , I don't take a lot of cuts but everytime I do it works in 7-10 days without fail ..

GOZ

miko

miko

I do it the exact same way but all I do is were I have sliced the stem at an angle I slice up into the stem about half an inch , coat the slice on the stem in honey put it in the soiL , I don't take a lot of cuts but everytime I do it works in 7-10 days without fail ..

GOZ
Shit, its worth a shot. I have a cloner machine and not having any luck as of lately. I even have some honey from trying before. :)

Reactions: Goz
Goz

Goz

It was s video on YouTube I watched a few years back when I started growing .. an not saying its 100% it's just always worked when I tried ...

GOZ

Latest posts

Top Bottom