Cheap, Easy Dechlorination

• Thread starter altitudefarmer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Hey Cap, sorry if this is a redundant thread. I believe I did due diligence on research and found nothing here. Hope you don't mind it on your forum.

1. What are some easy, cheap ways to dechlorinate tap water before brewing tea?

2. Are chloramines deadly to my micro horde, and how do I purge them from my water?

3. Are air stones better than water pumps to aerate the water when brewing?

Let's hear it, folks! Give me your ideas

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Not interested really in any 'dechlorinator' chemical products. Any natural product suggestions are welcome!

Thelbsnowman

Thelbsnowman

I believe if you fill up a container with water and leave it outside for 24 hours will "evaporate" the chlorine away. I read that once, was trying to find out myself what i could do to de-chlorinate my tap water.

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Chlorine dissipates as suggested above, but chloramines do not. To deal with them in your water, add a tiny touch of table sugar. Seriously.

Smart man, and great point! I'd suggest getting a quality report of your city's water and see whats actually in there. A lot of cities HAVE recently switched over to chloramines as an alternative.
My city water has an average of 1.1ppm of chlorine, I just fill up my 5 gal bucket the day before I brew and let it sit. Hopefully I catch some spent blossoms or other free goodies from Mother Nature for that add extra saaauuwce lol :D

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Chlorine dissipates as suggested above, but chloramines do not. To deal with them in your water, add a tiny touch of table sugar. Seriously.
Thanks, guys, I was aware of the aeration method to dissipate chlorine, and Cap (I think) had mentioned the table sugar in a thread I read but couldn't find again.
If I add more than a tiny pinch of sugar to my 5-gal bucket, it gets cloudy.
Do the chloramines destroy microbial life as bad as chlorine?

I've been filtering my water for a long time now with an inline ice maker filter. Does that remove chloramines?

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Colorado springs has great tap water, relatively speaking, most of the time... mine comes directly out of the faucet at 7-7.5 pH and 50 ppm. Not too shabby, I just wonder how much of that ppm is pharmaceuticals and other poison.

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

If you get a quality report it tells you how much of each by ppm like I said, I only have 1.1 ppm of CHLORINE. It's drinking water.. I don't think there's gonna be poisons and pharmaceuticals. They add things to KILL bacteria, fungi, and
protozoan parasites which are all MICROBES.

NOW Back to the thread topic, like I said go search for YOUR cities most recent water quality report and they give you an exact analysis with measurements on every thing.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Got a free analysis at home depot. Waiting on results from another lab. I know my water quality is good.
The thread topic is about dechlorination and chloramines. Anybody else have suggestions?
This is more for the people I'm helping who don't have money to spend on gear. I use a tall boy, myself.
Thanks for the responses so far guys!

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

If you get a quality report it tells you how much of each by ppm like I said, I only have 1.1 ppm of CHLORINE. It's drinking water.. I don't think there's gonna be poisons and pharmaceuticals. They add things to KILL bacteria, fungi, and
protozoan parasites which are all MICROBES.

NOW Back to the thread topic, like I said go search for YOUR cities most recent water quality report and they give you an exact analysis with measurements on every thing.
Bro there's a shitload of toxic crap in most cities' "drinking water". Including fluoride, percocet (and other drugs), triclosan, and heavy metals.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Hey Cap, sorry if this is a redundant thread. I believe I did due diligence on research and found nothing here. Hope you don't mind it on your forum.

1. What are some easy, cheap ways to dechlorinate tap water before brewing tea?

2. Are chloramines deadly to my micro horde, and how do I purge them from my water?

3. Are air stones better than water pumps to aerate the water when brewing?

Let's hear it, folks! Give me your ideas

I know you don't want to hear it, but sodium thiosulfate is perfectly safe for microbes and many other incredibly delicate living things, it's what is still used in public aquariums small and large, and is incredibly cheap, especially if you mix it down to the OTC levels of 1%-3%.

While aeration is perfectly suitable for removing chlorine, it will do nothing for chloramine, you will need something that either bonds to it (carbon?) or breaks the bond between the chlorine and ammonia. Again, sodium thiosulfate is absolutely suitable and acceptable for this purpose.

In terms of water treatment, chloramines are actually preferable over chlorine, as chlorine has been linked to causing some cancers. The EPA has recommended that all U.S. water municipalities switch their treatment from chlorine to chloramine, and the specific purpose is to kill microbes. So, yes, it will (and should if it's properly treated water) be killing soil microbes.

I see that someone has mentioned using sugar, and while it's not something I have ever done, if it works, I say go with it. Not as cheap as sodium thiosulfate, but hey, it sure is easier to get! However, if you're of a mind, you can get it for something like $5 for 2lbs dry (which then needs to be mixed down to that low percent solution mentioned above). At the Long Beach Aquarium we would just sprinkle it in, used our noses to tell us whether or not the chlorine was gone. Chlorine bleach is used to clean many items, such as tank decorations, and that needs to be neutralized quickly.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Is sodium thiosulfate what is in greengro water conditioner? My plants absolutely hated that stuff the one time I used it a few years ago.
Thanks for the awesome response Sea!!!!

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I don't know, I've never seen GreenGro water conditioner. I can tell you that it's in stuff like Novaqua, minus the stuff they put in for helping the fishes' slime coating.

It's one of the few chemicals I don't have a problem using, knowing how it's used in other areas. Another example is methylene blue. It's used in aquatics for disease and pest treatment, and for any egg-laying breeding fish, because it will stain any bad eggs dark blue. It's also used by surgeons to stain infected or bad tissue so they can be sure they cut out all the bad bits. It's also a VERY pretty color blue!

Jesus, why is it so difficult to find a label for the GreenGro? They're saying it also has electrolites, stuff for the fishes' slime coating?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
What's in them? I've never seen them before.

altitudefarmer

altitudefarmer

Hell yeah let's get this discussion rolling. My goal here is to make organic cannabis easy to grow for many of my 'clients'. My focus went from warehouses to helping elderly and disabled folks become self-sufficient.
Most of those people don't have much extra cash. Guess I won't be making the millions I was counting on went this shit went legal.. Haha!

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

"Mediterranean Blue Dechlorinating Bath Crystals

Now you can turn your bath into a healthy ritual. Mediterranean Blue Dechlorinating Bath Crystals, made with Crystal-chlorgon (mineral salt), Epsom salt and sea salt, neutralize chlorine, chloramine and vapors in your water to make your bath safer and healthier. These fast-working bath salts condition your water without added fragrance or artificial dyes, and help alleviate dry itchy skin while leaving skin and hair silky and smooth. Use alone or in combination with your favorite bath products to create a healthy and luxurious bathing experience.

$19.95 Sprite Mediterranean Blue De-Chlorinating Bath Salts 40oz

VitaBath Vitamin C Bath Tablets Remove Chlorine and Chloramines imageVitaBath Vitamin C Dechlorination Tablets

Effervescent Vitamin C dechlorination tablets are comprised of ascorbic acid, citric acid and sodium bicarbonate. This powerful formula is designed to neutralize chlorine and chloramines in a hot tub or spa. As Vitabath dissolves, the Vitamin C will become effervescent and begin to fizz. One Vitabath effervescent tablet is able to neutralize 1 ppm chlorine and chloramines in 100 gallons of water and completely eliminate the dry itchy skin caused by chlorine in your hot tub or spas. more info

$19.95 Vitabath Vitamin C Dechlorination Tablets - 1000mg 100 Tablets"

Found the info here:
http://curezone.com/forums/am.asp?i=1908480

It says MINERAL SALT, EPSOM SALT, and SEA SALT. Says its effective against chlorine and chloramines alike.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ah! Well, it looks kind of ok, except I'm really not sure what would happen when you mix acids with bases. I do believe I've read elsewhere that both acids are either good for dechlorination, or good for lowering pH, but I honestly cannot remember. The sodium bicarbonate would necessarily counteract/counterbalance that effect, I believe, but am not sure.

I guess it makes sense that it would work well on your skin, chlorine makes water more basic, the acids would shift that, and the sodium bicarbonate would...? Neutralize their effect..? <shrug> The salts are all stuff I already use, though, but not for dechlorinating. I'm on filtered well water, not a treated muni supply.

Mr.Metal

Mr.Metal

Yes, I would agree it seems to be just a compilation of simple salts. I guess it can't be TOO harmful?? But you can mix this up at home EASY PEEZY now that I've seen the label. Now I am interested to see how it would work for PM lol considering the Epsom salts and sodium bi-carb..

EDIT: EPSOMS SALTS!! I was thinking BAKING SODA lol ahhh gotta love medicating in the mornings haha :D

Latest posts

Top Bottom