Cheaper High Tech way to prevent powdery mildew

• Thread starter Donkdbz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
D

Donkdbz

20 bucks for self ballast UV bulb.

I think that one produces a little ozone so I would try on plants then turn off.
1000bulbs you can get UV bulb and a UV ballast for 40bulbs then some DIY action

P

polarbeardav

no, you can use short bursts of high dosage UVB to kill PM and other infectious things in the garden (as well as spider mites)

HarryM

HarryM

no, you can use short bursts of high dosage UVB to kill PM and other infectious things in the garden (as well as spider mites)

I believe that it is UV-C, not UV-B that destroys Powdery Mildew. I use a UV-C light (CleanLight Hobby unit) to control P.M.. It works perfectly but it does nothing to Spider Mites.

Desertboy

Desertboy

Ideally you would treat with UVc outside the tent using a "lung" or use an inline UVc air filter.

UVc is blinding literally so you must be very careful with it you looking for ~285nm, UVb ideal for psoriasis sufferers is ~315nm.

I've personally found good ventilation and low humidity in late flower is the best way for me to avoid PM or Botritus.

Desertboy

Desertboy

I forgot to add UVc will also turn O2 into O3 I believe UVb won't but don't quote me on that.

HarryM

HarryM

I forgot to add UVc will also turn O2 into O3 I believe UVb won't but don't quote me on that.
I think that if you check, UV-C does not exist on Earth due to the atmosphere filter. That said, measuring the action of the UV-C light on O2 might be difficult. I agree about ventilation and humidity levels.

Desertboy

Desertboy

"
  • UVC wavelengths (100-280 nm) are very strongly affected by ozone levels, so that the levels of UVC radiation reaching the earth's surface are relatively small.
"

http://www.theozonehole.com/uvrays.htm

Some UVc does make it down here even with our protective atmosphere

I think UVc -> O2 -> O3 reaction is well understood.

"Ozone in the stratosphere is mostly produced from short-wave ultraviolet rays (in the UVC band) but it can be also produced from x-rays reacting with oxygen"

from the wiki on ozone.

Top Bottom