Check Valve. What kind is everyone running? Where did you buy?

• Thread starter MediMary
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
M

MediMary

I am in the process of collecting parts for my MPB run.
Curious if anyone can recommend a cheap check valve that works well.
I think its called a check valve, or ball check valve, I think DD called it a shut of valve?

its what he uses on the 1/2 inch feedline at the bottom of the tub, in case of a power outage the water doesnt drain back into the reservoir, I looked for a few hours on the net this evening.
the ones I was finding were like 20 bucks a pop..
where did everyone find theres? and what was the going price? also are they called another name besides check valves?
thanks guys :rastadancing:

K

krunchbubble

Premium Member
Supporter
I am in the process of collecting parts for my MPB run.
Curious if anyone can recommend a cheap check valve that works well.
I think its called a check valve, or ball check valve, I think DD called it a shut of valve?

its what he uses on the 1/2 inch feedline at the bottom of the tub, in case of a power outage the water doesnt drain back into the reservoir, I looked for a few hours on the net this evening.
the ones I was finding were like 20 bucks a pop..
where did everyone find theres? and what was the going price? also are they called another name besides check valves?
thanks guys :rastadancing:

i made mine from parts at home depot.........plumbing section

L

Lost

Buy check valve here :

The rest is home depot stuff. Home depot does not have swing vavles which flow much better than spring driven ones.

Yea its 20 bucks a pop but it really is a great part of the system. You really want to run your feed lines at 3/4 then use a reducer right before the tub. That way you do not lose as much flow. A good ball valve shutoff works great as a bypass to drain the tubs for res changes :)

M

MediMary

thanks lost... Just curious..why use the reducer instead of just having a 3/4" feed??

J

jack the reaper

thanks lost... Just curious..why use the reducer instead of just having a 3/4" feed??

if you reduce the diameter of your tubing as the water flows toward the bins then you enable the system to "balance" the water pressure throughout itself, helping to ensure even flow, and in turn even distribution of nutes to each site. i think you can use 3/4 in to go from the res to the bins, then just use a 3/4 to 1/2 T and a short piece of 1/2 to link to the bin.

you only need one check valve mary, this should be placed just "downstream" from the main res. in the event of an electrical outage this valve will prevent backflow to the main res from your bins.

your water should be pumped from the res and first thing it passes is through the check valve. 3/4 in tubing and 3/4 in check valve. then your supply line should T off and form a loop (the two ends of the T should re-meet at the other end of your room). also 3/4. then from this giant loop you should reduce the tubing the remaining coulple of feet to the bins.

G

GBOOST

I think you mean the following link jack, 1 1/4 is proba a bit big for the feed line:D

GB

M

MediMary

thanks alot jack... makes perfect sense now..that answer really helped me.
thanks to lost as well.. cheers mate.

L

Lost

Just to add, I use 1 1/4 valves (all thanks to EasyPleasie, thanks bro), and use reducers. That way I get more flow and the valve does not become a bottle neck. :)

G

GBOOST

Hows do you go coupling the pump outlet to such a large feed line?? Any pics??

GB

J

jack the reaper

Hows do you go coupling the pump outlet to such a large feed line?? Any pics??

GB

boost, its 3/4".
1 1/4" would be fine for return drains, but 3/4" is what i use for distribution.

M

MediMary

Hey boost, if while im browsing I come across the pics ill post them up.
yah know the biggest problem I sometimes Have is finding the info, I have read every page of easypleasise, dizzle, lost, doubleds, bossman, coxies, jacks, iv been following you grow garden, I think I have read every thread in the MPB forum, and then im following a few other folks as well like jackmayoffer, etc.
the problem comes when I need to find some specific piece of information, but I cant remember who posted it, or what thread its in.
lol

L

Lost

Check out post 133 to see how to build the manifold and how to use a 1 1/4 valve on 3/4 tubing... :)

Apache69

Apache69

Here is a direct link to the post Lost is talking about

Thanks Lost!

G

GBOOST

Hey boost, if while im browsing I come across the pics ill post them up.
yah know the biggest problem I sometimes Have is finding the info, I have read every page of easypleasise, dizzle, lost, doubleds, bossman, coxies, jacks, iv been following you grow garden, I think I have read every thread in the MPB forum, and then im following a few other folks as well like jackmayoffer, etc.
the problem comes when I need to find some specific piece of information, but I cant remember who posted it, or what thread its in.
lol

Haha, I have the exact same problem, I keep thinking "sponge, sponge, sponge" lol, this forum continues to be a phenominal wealth of information. And I have to say, everyone keeps giving so much credit to DD, which is absolutely worthy, but we need to also give much credit to basically everyone in this forum running his system, as their humble nature and willingness to help others has truly made this forum and and mpb building experience what it has been, amazing. Props to you all:damnhippie:

Thanks lost and Apache, much appreciation:D

Ozzie.

D

drfarm

I know it's late , but had to test this before recommending. Its called a sewer stop valve at home depot, 1 1/4" with pvc glued reducers, about $11 if i remember. As Lost said, oversize the stop valve or deal with a huge pressure drop. This one is a flapper valve, and its f'n great .

Z GrowCab 10
Top Bottom