Chicken Runn

• Thread starter chickenman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
FYI ya all...
Best to cure/chill for 48 to 72 hours before freezing..
Allows for tissues to fully rest I reckon...
one hour fifty minutes 24 chickens scalded, plucked, gutted, cleaned and currently chilling...
I do the scalding and plucking friend guts and cleans.
This fella does a top notch job. From the time blood is fully drained to chill less than 10 minutes.....
Yep! Just made coq au vin last night with one of the roosters we slaughtered last year. Didn't know about refrigerating for 4 days prior to freezing to help make for a more tender bird, but the baking soda brining trick seriously works a TREAT.

Did you see what happened in my FB post about my new rooster? I haven't seen him even try to cover any of the girls, not sure if he's gonna work out as a baby daddy. Gotta sex it up to be a baby daddy.

I see all those chicken livers. I think I hate you now. Because I don't get any of them. Hate you! :p
I love some pate! I never met a liver I didnt like......superfood
That's how I feel about most all organ meats. I mean, can I hear it for the sweetbreads?? Hoo yah!

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
Yep! Just made coq au vin last night with one of the roosters we slaughtered last year. Didn't know about refrigerating for 4 days prior to freezing to help make for a more tender bird, but the baking soda brining trick seriously works a TREAT.

Did you see what happened in my FB post about my new rooster? I haven't seen him even try to cover any of the girls, not sure if he's gonna work out as a baby daddy. Gotta sex it up to be a baby daddy.

I see all those chicken livers. I think I hate you now. Because I don't get any of them. Hate you! :p

That's how I feel about most all organ meats. I mean, can I hear it for the sweetbreads?? Hoo yah!
Can send pate...
Everyone here is wiped out...
Were going fishing but will go tomorrow..
What's up with the brine method you use?
roosters will be tough even without the cure.
How did it turn out???
Making broth with the over scalded chickens..
Will make chicken PHO
The last batch was insane, probably the most delicious treat ever in a long time IMO.....
Funny most folks do not like liver...
So nice to be done......
Hope all is well in your family..../...

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
The baking soda thing works amazingly well. I don't do a dry roast on such a bird, it's always something like dutch oven or a braising method, something with moisture. As long as you keep *some* moisture on the bird during cooking it's very good.

UNLESS you're someone who's become so accustomed to eating chicken from places like Jack in the Box and you haven't noticed that the flesh is more like some kind of weird sponge, then it might be too tough for you. Because the bird lived a life.

It flew, it fucked, it got fucked, it chased and got chased, it crowed, it ran, it ate bugs and grass and plants and more bugs and MOAR BUGS and those never come easy. The thighs were the color of liver. Hardly any fat on the bird either, again very unlike store-bought birds.

You're right, the vast majority of people I know (not in my own family) don't care for any organ meats. They're a treat for me, especially something as velvety and delectable as chicken livers?
OMG.

chickenman

chickenman

Premium Member
Supporter
I got couple of pounds, will take the livers out of the chickens cavities that are curing and give to you..
Folks who appreciate then the most should get them..and momma;s come first...my pleasure to share
Bet most folks do not even use the livers

below frigid

below frigid

Saute some of those livers up with green onions & mushrooms and a good splash of sherry serve with steamed rice. Yumm!

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I will never understand why my aunts and uncles fight over the fuckin gizzard, heart, and liver. Although, after a weekend at the working ranch in the sandhills of nw nebraska trying to help brand and castrate young bulls, seeing those guys take fresh cut testes, apply them to shit-crusted-still-red-hot branding irons for a few seconds then eating them, I might go ahead and sign up for chicken liver.

I'll stick to hot dogs for my pork lips, assholes and the rest. Wait, what?

LocalGrowGuy

LocalGrowGuy

I got couple of pounds, will take the livers out of the chickens cavities that are curing and give to you..
Folks who appreciate then the most should get them..and momma;s come first...my pleasure to share
Bet most folks do not even use the livers
catfish bait.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
You are truly too kind, cm. <3
I will never understand why my aunts and uncles fight over the fuckin gizzard, heart, and liver. Although, after a weekend at the working ranch in the sandhills of nw nebraska trying to help brand and castrate young bulls, seeing those guys take fresh cut testes, apply them to shit-crusted-still-red-hot branding irons for a few seconds then eating them, I might go ahead and sign up for chicken liver.

I'll stick to hot dogs for my pork lips, assholes and the rest. Wait, what?
Sausage! I used to raise pigs when I was in 4H, too.

Top Bottom