Chicks with Dicks

• Thread starter Steel Erection
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

Steel Erection

Well folks I think it's happened once again. I have Deadhead OG in day 55. I was really diggin these things until today. I was in the garden doing a little deleafing today. In the process of deleafing I happened to notice a handful of little yellow banana looking spikes protruding from a few of the calyxs. I started my flush today and am planning on taking these things down in 2 weeks. I have never dealt with this before. What do I need to do with these things? Is this going to seed my crop? Any and as much info would be appeciated. Thanks-SE

S

Sea Of Green

I grow a strain that does that sometimes, more often than not truthfully(~75% of the time). There will usually be one or two, rarely three, male flowers/"bananas" on a plant. Only on the rarest of occasions has it produced any seeds. I've been growing the same strain, harvesting 144 plants per year, for almost 10 years now(10 x 144 = 1440). I've collected maybe 20 viable looking seeds, presently being held in emergency reserve, as a result of it(with a total of less than 10 premie and/or accidentally smoked seeds, IIRC). I have also been saving the mature "bananas" for pollen collection. Very very rarely do they mature to the point to readily release pollen though. Which is why I only have around a dozen of those, and why they're aren't more seeds in my collection.

Bottom line: They don't worry/bother me in the least with the strain I grow, and how I grow it. As a matter of fact they never have. I was pretty excited with the notion of having a few free seeds lying around. Now that it's been many years, and not many seeds to show for it, that notion's kinda lost it's luster. Needless to say, I'd rather have a plant that did that, than didn't. No harm, no foul, right?

It's supposed to be how you can make "feminized" seeds too, BTW.

How to produce feminized marijuana seeds

I named this new method “Rodelization” after a friend who helped me realize and make use of this way of creating female cannabis seeds. After growing crop after crop of the same plant in the same conditions, I noticed that if I flowered the plants 10-14 days longer than usual, they would develop male “bananas”. A male banana is a very slight male flower on a female marijuana plant that is formed because of stress. Usually they do not let out any pollen early enough to make marijuana seeds, but they sometimes do. They are a built in safety factor so in case of sever conditions, the plant can make sure that the species is furthered.

To me a male banana is quite a beautiful thing. It has the potential of making all female pot seeds. Many growers out there have male banana phobia. They see one and have heart palpitations, they want to cut down the entire crop or at least take tweezers and pluck the little yellow emerging devices out. I call them “Emergency Devices” because they emerge at times of stress.

In the Rodelization method, the male banana is very valuable. After growing your female plant 10-14 days longer than usual, hang them up to dry, then carefully take them off the drying lines and inspect for bananas. Each and every banana should be removed and placed in a small bag labeled very accurately. These sealed bags can be placed in the fridge for one to two months and still remain potent.

For the second phase you need to already have a crop that’s already 2 ½ weeks into flowering. Take your sealed bag of pollen out of the fridge, and proceed to impregnate your new crop of females. To do this, you must first match the female plant and the pollen from the same strain in the previous crop. Shut down all the fans in the grow room. Then take a very fine paint brush, dip it in the bag of pollen, and paint it on the female flower. Do this to each different strain you have growing together. I have done it with ten different kinds in the same room with great success.

I use the lower flowers to make weed seeds, leaving the top colas seedless for smoking. This method takes time(two crops), but is completely organic and lets you have great quality smoke at the same time you make your female cannabis seeds. If you’re one of those growers that has never grown marijuana seeds for fear of not having something good to smoke, you will love this method.

You can also use this pollen to make new female crosses by cross pollinating. The older females with the bananas can be brought into the room with the younger, un-pollinated females when they are three weeks into flowering. Turn all of the circulation fans on high, and the little bits of pollen will proceed to make it around the room. Do this for several days. Six to seven weeks later you will have ripe 100% female seeds; not nearly as many as a male plant would make, but enough to start over somewhere else with the same genetics.

As a farmer who has been forced to move his genetics far away from where they started, I know very well the value of seeds. My friend Adam from THSeeds in Amsterdam has a motto that I love to borrow these days: “Drop seeds not bombs
http://www.seedsplaza.com/create-feminized-cannabis-seeds-at-home.html

RABB1T

RABB1T

SE, everything said by SOG is very true. If you are at 55 days and your strain runs 70, you may want to keep at plucking or tweezing off those 'nanners as you find them. It flat out sucks to see a plant get self-seeded the last two weeks of bloom only to have a very diminished quality product should your 'nanners release viable pollen. As far as them creating fem seeds, yes...but they will hold that recessive hermie trait also. Most likely the herb will simply be full of those brown flat seed flakes that make everything taste like a seed if left unchecked.

Good luck and I hope that they are sterile as they usually are. Just best to prepare for the worst and stay ahead of it.

E

E.T.

Just pull em when u find em. You'll be fine for the finish...those 'male' flowers are not something you want to keep. It's a hermi and will likely pass on that unwanted trait. Could happen from stress, over feeding, or flawed genetics.

S

Steel Erection

Just pull em when u find em. You'll be fine for the finish...those 'male' flowers are not something you want to keep. It's a hermi and will likely pass on that unwanted trait. Could happen from stress, over feeding, or flawed genetics.

Yeah don't think I've stressed them. No light leaks, temps 75-78, rh around 50%. I was feeding them heavier two weeks ago. So it's not the feed. I think it's the genetics. I've read more then a few people having this happen with the CC Gear. I just hope they dont seed my whole table. :sweating The things look damn good too...Thanks for all your responses, please keep them coming. -SE

S

Sea Of Green

Probably genetics? Yes.

Flawed genetics? No. A male calyx or two, even a few, found on the FEMALE buds of a FEMALE cannabis plant, DOES NOT A HERMAPHRODITE MAKE!

If you don't understand genetics, more specifically biological evolution through natural selection, then you won't have any real understanding of why it is that this really does happen. And happen A LOT, regardless of strain!

Reread this sentence from the quote in my previous post.

They are a built in safety factor so in case of severe [sic] conditions, the plant can make sure that the species is furthered.

What does that mean? That's right! They evolved to do it. IT'S TOTALLY NATURAL. It's not really a bad thing at all. Unless you wanna be a complete and total pot snob, afraid of even finding a SINGLE seed in your ENTIRE crop. Because if the plant is left alone to do it's NATURAL thing, and not harvested LATE, that's all your going to get from it, IF THAT! And you won't likely get rid of the trait very easily through any kind of breeding program anyways. It's likely common to ALL strains, and engraved deeply in ALL of their DNA from millions of years of natural selection/evolution.

FYI, It's called the bigger picture. How it's viewed is by thinking outside of that cubed container, a.k.a box, your thoughts are happily bound within. There are more stupid ass, ignorant, naive concepts derived from shear growing inexperience and/or lack of basic botanical knowledge regarding plants in general, but specifically this plant and how it grows, floating around this god foresaken place than I can hardly believe anymore. Do you people really believe all this crap? Based on what? Because somebody said so? Trust me on this, NOBODY HAS IT TOTALLY RIGHT! ESPECIALLY HERE. Think for yourself, do your research, carefully experiment with new ideas, make observations and base what you believe on YOUR OWN FINDINGS. Always remain highly inquisitive, yet highly skeptical(even cynical at times, if required, which it OFTEN is). Basically, NEVER allow yourself to think that you know it all, or worse EVER think that somebody else does. The rest comes from years of experience growing, PERIOD! AND NO, Ed Rosenthal DOES NOT know EVERYTHING! Or DJ Short, or whomever! I can find CONSIDERABLE inaccuracies in all of their supposed "teachings" on the subject, REGARDLESS of author.

M

MTM

It takes over 30 days to make seeds,if your hairs are not starting to die you should have nothing to worry about
They should be dieing from getting ready to finish, not pollinated

johnursery

johnursery

i am a pot snob lol, sucks to hear about your hermy situation before they're even ready for harvest...some breeders look for females that won't show this trait even under light cycle stressing, nute stressing, or overmature stress. And then, they use that lady to chemically force it to produce pollen, that way you get fem seeds that won't carry the herm trait...some breeders have problems with herm genetics and some are known for not releasing strains unless they've been tested and show desirable traits and stability...i wouldn't call it natural selection just because the trait is naturally occuring, because we influence the selection part everytime someone has a herm and pollinates something and someone finds a few jack the magic beans from the best bud they ever smoked and the saga continues and gets more and more prolific...it's not in the plants best interest to select for a continuously smaller gene pool, quite the oppisite i think we've turned this once recessive and drastic survival mechanism into a common problem...but that's just my view lol

RABB1T

RABB1T

In a controlled environment, like a pollen free bloom room designed by a pot snob to produce a sensimilla crop of buds for pot snobs...I don't want any sort of nut dust floating around in there period, ever. I have a different place for that, it's where I make seeds. Hermie traits suck indoors or outdoors no matter how cool it is that once upon a time marijuana needed that mechanism to survive.

MrSmilehappy

MrSmilehappy

OGs my friend are very specific. Its not a total big deal but I have grown OG, Headband, and OG18. The biggest thing I can say is that you want to lighten the load with them as far as nutrients. They are sensitive women but will perform very well. Overall though you will be please with the smoke when your crop is don't. They didn't herm which is the biggest relief you have but they don't like it rough. From some reason I just found that when you give OGs a lighter load they perform better

Top Bottom