CHILKaT's Farm

• Thread starter CHILKaT
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

CHILKaT

This is an organic soil based farm, Last Frontier DIY super ghetto. Over the past two years I’ve gone from commercial potting soils and ferts to making my own. This is my first round completely on my mix and they have been the healthiest most robust, disease, pest and deficiency free plants I’ve ever had in my garden. (Although this is likely to be related also to the landrace genetics I’m working with; Afghan, Nepal, Colombian, Indian) My hope is to be able to move outside by next year. My organic soil mix is very basic and includes local hand collected ingredients at approx quantities.

50% forest humus
20% peat moss
10% compost/rabbit droppings
10% worm castings
2% glacial silt
2% salmon/fish whole and/or carcass dried and ground
2% seaweed (sometimes with spawn on) – 3 main kelp types laminaria/macrocystis/costaria dried and ground
2% shells- crab/clam/egg – whatever is available dried and ground
2% volcanic pumice

This is a living organic soil teeming with soil life; the plants only get rain water or spring water there is no feeding. The soil is reused at a diminishing return of about 60-70%. I live in the land of plenty, however, using less is always welcome.

C

CHILKaT

The Humus

This is where I get my forest humus. It isn't light and fluffy, it is wet and heavy, black from carbon with the consistency similar to clay. It tends to stain the hands black for day or so. It is very old decomposed organic matter and full of tiny creatures.

STP62015
STP61865
C

CHILKaT

Landscape Fabric Pots

I use 7 Gallon smart pots; except that now I make my own pots and make them square to fit milk crates.

STP62139
STP62140
STP62146
C

CHILKaT

Seeds are sprouted directly in rockwool cubes. The cubes are soaked in a solution of rain water and seaweed and started under red/blue LED lighting. Seeds usually sprout within 24 hours, always within 48 and planted out, if I’m only popping a few and have room, they go directly into the 7 gallon, if I don’t have room or popping a lot at one time, they go into 4” pots for a while.

This is a seed after 24 hours:

G1
C

CHILKaT

My Veg Room

Veg Room: 7x9x7
Lighting: Fluorescent T8’s walls and ceiling

STP61919
STP62003
STP62006
STP62115
STP62116
STP62119
STP62120
STP62121
STP62123
STP62045
C

CHILKaT

Bloom Room

Bloom Room: 6x9x7
Lighting: 1000 HPS, 1000 MH, 4 CFL
Four different strains and several pheno's of each going now.

STP61989
STP61998
STP62128
STP62100
STP62101
STP62107
STP62108
STP62114
STP62130
C

CHILKaT

30 days of 12/12

My sativa's are packing more resin :muscle than my indica's and they still have 60 more days to go. They are starting to show a little yellowing in the lower fan leaves though, which had me a bit worried, so I packed another inch or two of humus on top...really don't want to have to feed them. Hopefully they'll have enough to see them through to the end. I'm wondering about up-potting them to 20gal but will wait to see what happens over the next week. Otherwise the garden is looking good.

Photos:
The two sativa's
green pheno
purple pheno

STP62163
STP62164
STP62166
G

Green Supreme

Must be getting cold up there. Thanks for sharing. Peace GS

C

CHILKaT

:rain Aye, it's a wee bit colder, but I'm in the Tongass, so it's pretty mild weather, it's probably colder in B.C. :)

G

Green Supreme

I live in Vansterdam. Canadas warmest climate. Did my time in the cold. Lived in Norman Wells NWT for 3 years. Peace GS

C

CHILKaT

power failure...argh.

Well all my ladies sat in the dark for 3 days...lol, and then had to be moved to another location. If it isn't one thing it's another. Besides a few pollen sacks on my purple sat pheno I haven't noticed any serious ramifications. How this all plays out remains to be seen.

They seem to be coming along fine despite these inconveniences.

K01
STP62225
STP62226
motherlode

motherlode

@Rolln_J
Supporter
those are fucking beautiful, hope you get past those inconveniences

dig the diy smart pots and all the organic love

Top Bottom