Chillers and copper toxicity

• Thread starter Aerojoe
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Aerojoe

Aerojoe

Hey all, I recently done a few upgrades to the setup and currently have 3 reservoirs very close to each other. One of the reservoirs has no plants and a water chiller that is way stronger than needed to bring temps down to 50-40 degrees. I thought that since they were so close together that I could hookup wort chillers made of copper and have a aquarium thermostat cycle a pump located in the reservoir with the chiller, in order to cool the other 2 reservoirs. The problem I've heard that I might have with this plan is that I could cause a copper toxicity in my plants? has anyone else had experience using wort chillers on your reservoir for your plants? any problems or tips? are the chiller systems you can purchase not made of copper coils inside? Thanks in advance, any help is appreciated.

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

I was thinking something like

I'll probably make my own, cause I like diy projects and saving money.

homebrew420

homebrew420

I think you will be fine. Most of the plumbing here in the US use copper piping though out homes. We havent seen toxicity as a result. Think you will be good. you could use poly irrigation tubing if your still concerned.

S

seebobsled

ss! no copper with plant water. www.nycitybrewwers.com has 304 ss sold in coiled tubing or prebent wort chiller. People have done tests on ppm with copper and plain water and it will leach in the water. Fish people don't use copper. ss,ti,pvc are comon. but the idea is right

homebrew420

homebrew420

Yeah Seebob, that is a better idea for an immersion chiller. Curious about lenth of time for Cu leeching to become phytotoxic? As well as if the res is changed regularly would we still have the same concerns?

Stainless is better than copper. For sure. Good call on that Seebob.

Peace

Aerojoe

Aerojoe

ss! no copper with plant water. www.nycitybrewwers.com has 304 ss sold in coiled tubing or prebent wort chiller. People have done tests on ppm with copper and plain water and it will leach in the water. Fish people don't use copper. ss,ti,pvc are comon. but the idea is right

Thanks for all the replies and ideas, The link doesn't seem to work for me. Anyone else have the same problem?

Latest posts

Top Bottom