Chilling Epi Centre with Cool Coils ...

• Thread starter UC Quest
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
UC Quest

UC Quest

My question may be viewed as just common sense, but for those in the know please humour me.

I have 20 tons of Hydro Innovation Chiller along with 26 1K watt lights flipped in each room.

I have plenty of cooling power, and a whole bunch left over.

I am running a 20 bucket (13 Gallon ) system in each of the two flipped Rooms. All my buckets and 3" tubing are all wrapped. I am using a Cool Coil from Hydro Innovations and I am not happy with how this is cooling my 20 buckets. It takes to long to get to desired temps, and the Reistat Water Temperature Controller is always calling for cooled propylene glycol to be running through the coils.

If I were to go to a larger ( longer feet of coil for more cooling surface of coils ) such as the 25 or 50 ft Wort Chiller from New York Brewery Supply. Would my cooling of the 20 buckets be so much more efficient ?

Those with experience on this topic I would welcome to hear your discoveries and experience please.

deacon1503

deacon1503

Tough call. That's a lot of UC to be cooling with one cool coil. Try the wort chiller though it might speed things up I'm curious to see. Are your UC's showing the same temp in each module?

With large 13 gal systems I always recommended individual chillers per system, plumbed either with the main recirc pump (a larger one) or a dedicated chiller loop. If that big chiller goes down that's no good for multiple reasons. You might just have to bite the bullet and do that to ensure your satisfaction in regards to the systems temp pull down time and consistency. I've ran into this issue before.

I've done a garden with a chillking for the lights and a smaller one for the UC and it worked out great for the caregiver.

UC Quest

UC Quest

I actually have two 10 tons working together, so if one crapped out, I am still good with the other 10 ton unit, would just have to turn down or off some lights.

Yes the temperature is showing the same in all the buckets.

I am hoping by using a whort chiller coil, that has more surface area of coils to transfer cooling to the water that doing so will allow faster cooling response and better efficiency.

Thanks for your suggestions and sharing your experience :)

Top Bottom