Chloramine?

• Thread starter Jokefox
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Jokefox

Jokefox

How do you guys get rid of chloramine?
Is it nessasary?
Can i use an aquarium water conditioner like prime?

Ill be using the H&G line and im not sure how the enzymes will react with chloramine.

Thanks in advanced.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
Chloramine can be removed via a cartridge from any RO/DI water system supplier. It is an add on to a standard RO unit. But some would say it isnt necessary.

jumpincactus

jumpincactus

Premium Member
Supporter
reverse osmosis water or DI is deionized

Jokefox

Jokefox

I got city tap water.

I now feel like i really under studied water...

DrMcSkunkins

DrMcSkunkins

Dabbling in Oil
If your water is under 200 ppm on a tds pen you can just sit it out in the open air over night before adding your nutes and adjusting the ph. The chlorine will evaporate out but the chloramine stays, I have never heard of a chloramine toxicity.

Jokefox

Jokefox

No money for a pen as of right now. spent my bonus then sorta crashed my car and my house flooded.
So far been a pretty shitty month.

Ill see if my hydro store can test my water for me and give me a base estimate. i did have enough money for a ph pen off of amazon. hopefully it works better then not.
Ill add a ppm pen to the list of stuff i shoulda thought about.

And thanks for the replies guys. there seems to be some information i dident know about so ill get my ass reading right now :)

Savage Henry

Savage Henry

If you contact your local water department they should have test results on file, and will be able to tell you if they add chloramine or not. I lucked out, just chlorine in mine.

JSmokes420

JSmokes420

Not to Hijack the thread but anyone every heard of Clorite? After reading my local water report it states that's what is used to disinfect the water

IrishIndica

IrishIndica

you can remove chloramine with simple absorbic acid ( vitamin C) if you want to do it on the cheap. I've used the lemon juice squirt bottles in the past.

Tardbuster

Tardbuster

Fuckin chloramine, Monsanto probably sells that shit to water depts. Seriously what was wrong with chlorine? Carbon can filter it out, that's what!

IrishIndica

IrishIndica

R O systems are not designed specifically to remove chloramines. They can do so but you must pay more $$$ as it requires a more sensitive filter. Do the vitamin C trick and it neutralises Clorine and Cloramine almost instantly. Aquarium conditioning products also work but why pay more. The advantage of using aquarium products is that both chlorine and ammonia are neutralised (ammonia is like poison to fish). Ammonia in small amounts is perfectly fine for plants when we are talking 1 or 2 PPM, which is all that would remain from from the cheap vitamin c dechloramination method. It's also worth noting that if you grow in soil that has ample microbial life the chloramines will be neutralised with minimal damage to the soil. Be sure to leave your water out to evaporate the chlorine first though so only the chloramines remain.

P

PharmHand

Fuckin chloramine, Monsanto probably sells that shit to water depts. Seriously what was wrong with chlorine? Carbon can filter it out, that's what!
Chlorine evaporates so water companies must continually add more to keep the water free of pathogens. Both form potentially toxic substances when they interact with organic matter in the water distribution system. But less immediately toxic than harmful pathogens.
R O systems are not designed specifically to remove chloramines. They can do so but you must pay more $$$ as it requires a more sensitive filter. Do the vitamin C trick and it neutralises Clorine and Cloramine almost instantly. Aquarium conditioning products also work but why pay more. The advantage of using aquarium products is that both chlorine and ammonia are neutralised (ammonia is like poison to fish). Ammonia in small amounts is perfectly fine for plants when we are talking 1 or 2 PPM, which is all that would remain from from the cheap vitamin c dechloramination method. It's also worth noting that if you grow in soil that has ample microbial life the chloramines will be neutralised with minimal damage to the soil. Be sure to leave your water out to evaporate the chlorine first though so only the chloramines remain.
I've heard ascorbic acid neutralizes it but how much do u need to add? I've heard humic also can neutralize it but again how much for how much? The aquarium products also remove metals so I'm Leary to use them because it might make some nutrients precipitate out of your nutrient solution. I've got these rain fresh chloramine filters that say they remove 95% of it then I'll also toss in a couple crushed up vit c tablets ; 500 mg in a 55gal barrel but I don't actually know if it's all been neutralized at that dose?

J

Jfrezy

Best to remove all chlorine in chloramines to be a filter before water reaches your plants. They kill microbes Ro filters are the best.

Top Bottom