Choosing an appropriate Chiller

• Thread starter sedate
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
sedate

sedate

As my RDWC design comes together, I'm a bit uncertain as to what sized chiller I should buy - my current design is an MPB-inspired (duh) RDWC utilizing 3.2kw or 4kw over a 150-200 gallon system.

Like 1w per gallon (1 HP = 750w) seems to be what the hydro-stores imply by the descriptions of chillers - but that's hardly conclusive.

How do Farmer's choose the correct chiller size for their RDWC?

Have Farmer's had more or less luck with any particular brand?

Is there a hard-and-fast rule-of-thumb for this componet?

M

mcattak

As my RDWC design comes together, I'm a bit uncertain as to what sized chiller I should buy - my current design is an MPB-inspired (duh) RDWC utilizing 3.2kw or 4kw over a 150-200 gallon system.

Like 1w per gallon (1 HP = 750w) seems to be what the hydro-stores imply by the descriptions of chillers - but that's hardly conclusive.

How do Farmer's choose the correct chiller size for their RDWC?

Have Farmer's had more or less luck with any particular brand?

Is there a hard-and-fast rule-of-thumb for this componet?

Bigger the better....

N

noone88

Yea, the bigger the better. Remember, doubled is north of the border with cooler ambient temps.

I'm in the city of angels. There is no way 1/2 HP chiller can keep up with a 10k grow.

To err on the side of caution, 1/2hp for every 5k watts will give you good control over your water temps.

G

goleboy

what size chiller would be recomended if someone was simply looking to use it for ice box purposes and only for 1k watt light to air cool and eliminate the need for AC...i just grabbed a 4x4 tent and am trying to figure out simplest way to keep it cool

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

yikes , is 67 ish ok temps for an Ebb&flow/DWC i have 1/10hp for 70 gallons ,
And on an ebb flow , And is bad to run chiller without water in it ?, "ie" while res empty's to fill the units , my res get completely drained and chiller pump runs with no water

P

pikes peak 69

Running a chiller without water flow will allow the chiller to freeze and crack the coil inside the chiller. (if that's where your coil is) They make a flow switch so that when the water is not flowing thru the chiller, the chiller quits cooling or the flow switch shuts off the the completely until flow resumes.
I don't know on an e&f how long the chiller runs without water at each cycle, so this flow switch may help you or be a waste of money.LOL

pp69

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

=)

Thanks MR PEAK that helps a lot! maybe i could hook pump or chiller up to timer so either is off during flood cycle?

That is if my chiller will not accept the flow valve you mentioned

L

Lost

I just had to order a 3/4 hp chiller to replace my 1/3 hp chiller. Well, the 1/3 hp chiller is going to be used in another room, lol.

Anyway, I wanted to point out that at 78 degrees with 3 lights (1000's) the 1/3hp chiller was on all the time, and while I set it to 63 degrees, res temps get to 66 degrees.. The 3/4 hp should work well and be good for an upgrade from 7 tubs to 10 or 11.

M

mcattak

what size chiller would be recomended if someone was simply looking to use it for ice box purposes and only for 1k watt light to air cool and eliminate the need for AC...i just grabbed a 4x4 tent and am trying to figure out simplest way to keep it cool

Probably a good place to start looking..www.hydroinnovations.com/

mc

M

mcattak

yikes , is 67 ish ok temps for an Ebb&flow/DWC i have 1/10hp for 70 gallons ,
And on an ebb flow , And is bad to run chiller without water in it ?, "ie" while res empty's to fill the units , my res get completely drained and chiller pump runs with no water

67 is ok...Not good fro the chiller

L

Lost

I just had to order a 3/4 hp chiller to replace my 1/3 hp chiller. Well, the 1/3 hp chiller is going to be used in another room, lol.

Anyway, I wanted to point out that at 78 degrees with 3 lights (1000's) the 1/3hp chiller was on all the time, and while I set it to 63 degrees, res temps get to 66 degrees.. The 3/4 hp should work well and be good for an upgrade from 7 tubs to 10 or 11.

Forgot to add the most important part that about 225 - 245 gallons.. lol..

At 120-140 gallons with 5 lights, it was fine with the 1/3hp..

N

noone88

That's the only real change I would make on Doubled's original MPB post: the specs for the chillers need to be doubled.

Go with 10k watts = 1 hp chiller and you should be safe.

Lastly, when I ran E&F with hydroton, I never did use a chiller for my res. Even though res temps ran into 79-80 degrees, I never had root rot problems on my trays. As long as your flood and drain completes in under 20 minutes, you'll never "drown" your roots due to lack of oxygen. Most of the oxygen gets to the roots as the water evaporates from the medium, not from the dissolved oxygen in the nutrient solution.

Hrpuffnstuff

Hrpuffnstuff

i dont know if helps but i have 6k, 100ish gal used in my system , And i went from 72 down to 65 with a 1/10 set at 64 seems to be working fine ,,

except my draining of res with no water for chiller situation lol

Top Bottom