Choosing the right light. LED, HPS, ?

• Thread starter Swegrow
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Swegrow

Swegrow

Hi guys!

Im getting a small grow tent set soon. Found some package deals with vent fans and lights etc in a nearby shop. In the 90s everyone where growing using HPS lamps (been away a while..=) but now I understand that LEDs an option too. What would you guys say is the pros and cons of each?

Morgs1980

Morgs1980

Pretty new to this too but I cooked my plants under hps, found dealing with the heat in a small area a huge problem, now nearing the end of another successful grow under leds and I’m happy.

6AFF9CF3 69FC 458D 8D90 9B63CAB101F0
MIGrampaUSA

MIGrampaUSA

LEDs are the way to go if you can afford the upfront cost. What's your budget? How big of an area are you trying to cover?

Let's focus first on the size of the tent you have purchased because that size is already fixed. There is also a big difference between a cheap (bad purchase) LED light and a good LED choice for your budget. Many of us in this forum love Quantum Boards because of the high output at a relatively low cost and a mild at best heat footprint especially if you mount the driver remotely outside of the tent.

There are other good LED choices just don't get suckered by a manufacturer's sales pitch because some are not worth buying.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

as previous post stated, start with the size of the grow tent, when choosing lights.

my main concern with HID was its heat buildup, and thus i made the switch to LED. i have yet to harvest under these LED, so I reserve my judgement in comparing HID to LED.

if you go HID or LED, it will make a difference to what exhaust/ventilation/circulation you may need.

Swegrow

Swegrow

Ok guys, Thanks for replying! Im getting a 90x90x180cm tent, (thats 3x3x6 feet apx.) I can spend about 0 on a light but will be able to afford one or two more if needed later on. Local growshop suggest the tgl star 100 for that area. I can buy that directly without shipping or import taxes aswell.

Or maybe this one?
https://www.amazon.com/MARS-HYDRO-Spectrum-Updated-Growing/dp/B07PLYR5HG?ref_=ast_sto_dp&th=1&psc=1

I will grow in a closet and drill holes in drywall for ventilation in and out as needed

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
If you choose LED way, and the budget is about 250$, I'd like to recommend our TSW2000 light, the actual power is 300w, coverage is 3'x3' at bloom, and 4'x4' at veg, perfect match for 90x90cm tent.
We have warehouses in the UK and Germany, fast free shipping for European Union countries, the website price is the final, including the shipping cost and tax. Usually, shipped by DHL or GLS.
And use the THCFARMER special discount code "THC" at check out, help save some cash.
Check details here: Mars Hydro TSW 2000 QB Design Led Plant Grow Light for 3'x3' Sunlike Spectrum with IR

Swegrow

Swegrow

Thank you so much all of you! MarsHydro, I will order that one asap. Did not know you could send from germany. Thats great!

UsulLusu

UsulLusu

If you choose LED way, and the budget is about 250$, I'd like to recommend our TSW2000 light, the actual power is 300w, coverage is 3'x3' at bloom, and 4'x4' at veg, perfect match for 90x90cm tent.
We have warehouses in the UK and Germany, fast free shipping for European Union countries, the website price is the final, including the shipping cost and tax. Usually, shipped by DHL or GLS.
And use the THCFARMER special discount code "THC" at check out, help save some cash.
Check details here: Mars Hydro TSW 2000 QB Design Led Plant Grow Light for 3'x3' Sunlike Spectrum with IR

Did you see the MIGRO readings of the mars lights? I think his claim was the TS1000w was 1.65 PPFD/Watt in a 2x2? Good to see companies giving their lights over to people for third party testing.

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
Thank you so much all of you! MarsHydro, I will order that one asap. Did not know you could send from germany. Thats great!
Yeah, we can ship it from Germany, order on the website, don't forget to use the discount code "THC" at check out, help save some cash.

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
Did you see the MIGRO readings of the mars lights? I think his claim was the TS1000w was 1.65 PPFD/Watt in a 2x2? Good to see companies giving their lights over to people for third party testing.
Yeah, I noticed, thanks our partner's works. We invite some respected independent tester to test our lights, and the well known experienced growers write the growing journals, show the growers real reviews of Mars Hydro lights

MarsHydroLED

MarsHydroLED

Premium Member
Supporter
TS 1000 and TS600, are excellent choice for the small area growers, cost-efficiency, bring great results.

Top Bottom