chow mix vs. sunshine #4

• Thread starter Capulator
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
GhostFace

GhostFace

str8 HP works just as good..we like are pots to dry out quick gives us more control over them. bx wasn't lite enough for me..i hand water every 2 days but when the roots fill the pots its more like once a day. many mediums are great you just gotta find what works for you

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
many mediums are great you just gotta find what works for you[/quote said:
^^^ yup.

I honestly just wanted to switch it up a bit. I have been running chow for like 2 years now. Before that I was a straight lava rock master. 3/8" RED (has to be red) lava. Soaked in 10% bleach solution and then watered all day every day. I also had a hand in rockwool for a loooong time. May go back to that as well at some point. Sticking with the same routine gets old sometimes. Lately I have been thinking of using sea sponge.

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Oh yeah and fuck handwatering. I just converted my MPB to sunshine and figured I would put the 4500 GPH pump to use. Don' think I will be needing any drip clean (never used the stuff anyway).

IMAG0628

sixstring

sixstring

well it sounds like your giving just water a few days a week to the coco and I have always read plain water is a nono in coco.if these are on the same feed program the peat should blow the coco out the water imo.i found the botanicare stuff all needs a thorough rinse or its slow on seeds n veggers.im running house n garden coco right out the bag and the stuff is the whip.but im a peat grower.can you give us more info on the feed strengths of each and what the strength was on the precharge of the coco?

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
Why the move away from MPB?

I am gonna run JK's tanks soon and too much RDWC is too much headache for me. Gonna keep the RDWC to just one system in my life.

well it sounds like your giving just water a few days a week to the coco and I have always read plain water is a nono in coco.if these are on the same feed program the peat should blow the coco out the water imo.i found the botanicare stuff all needs a thorough rinse or its slow on seeds n veggers.im running house n garden coco right out the bag and the stuff is the whip.but im a peat grower.can you give us more info on the feed strengths of each and what the strength was on the precharge of the coco?

The plants started in chow. all of them. They were transplanted to 28 gallon trashcans from 16oz dixie cups. they are under 600w. (12 plants under 6, 600's).

The peat plants are killing the coco. I do not see how the coco will catch up. Only time will tell.

They are being fed the same. 3 grams/gal of jr peters 5-12-26, 2 grams/ gal CaNO3, and 1 gram/ gal epsom. That will change soon though when I move to analogs formula and all raw salts next week with these.

I just went over dankworths my thread can beat up your thread thread and a user dizzlekush who I feel really knows his shit is in there talking about how peat is much better than coco. Also, YosemiteSam has moved back to peat.

Peat has a higher CEC (cation exchange capacity). I am pretty sure that commercial ag growers also use much more peat than they do coco. I'll have to look in to it more now that I am using it.

I also just planted up the MPB with peat/perlite/EWC combo and I ran that strain a solid year in the MPB so I will be able to tell the difference and so far it's already looking good. No stalling since they were moved. Lots of new growth. I hit them with a dose of nute pack, root pack, a handful of pyrophyllite clay, and a handful of alfalfa. These are being fed analogs formula from the get go.

obsoul33t

obsoul33t

IBL
i saw that you were going to run analog's recipe ..

i was playing with the nute calc and hit pretty close to the number you posted with just calnit , mkp and epsom and some ej microblast for the trace and ultra trace .. so far the girls in coco are fkin blowing up not a red petiole in the group
nkp-ca-mg-s
120=57-120-146-55-76

this is for veg and i will increase the mkp for a couple days 2x at around wk 3 and 5-6 for bloom

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
i saw that you were going to run analog's recipe ..

i was playing with the nute calc and hit pretty close to the number you posted with just calnit , mkp and epsom and some ej microblast for the trace and ultra trace .. so far the girls in coco are fkin blowing up not a red petiole in the group
nkp-ca-mg-s
120=57-120-146-55-76

this is for veg and i will increase the mkp for a couple days 2x at around wk 3 and 5-6 for bloom

Nice bro!

My formula is a fuckin 8 part now. :shifty:

Gonna hit up Quantrill when I get back from mex and have him explain to me how I can make a 2 part (A+B) concentrated liquid formula from that to make my life easier. My plants look so damn good though running these numbers that I don't mind weighing it all out each week. Looks like you are on the salts game. Did you peep that thread I posted for you on CC?

Confuten1

Confuten1

exploitin strengths - perfectin weaknessess
Supporter
@Capulator the pyrophyllite clay for the silica content?

confu

J

Jalisco Kid

If you are watering them the same thats not a fair side by side. I would believe the chow would need to be watered more. What is your schedule? JK

Capulator

Capulator

likes to smell trees.
Supporter
If you are watering them the same thats not a fair side by side. I would believe the chow would need to be watered more. What is your schedule? JK

Nah the chow stays as wet as the peat JK. I am running 50/50 chow not 70/30.
@Capulator the pyrophyllite clay for the silica content?

confu

Nah for the minerals. @salmonslammer turned me on to this one. Great product.

HG23

HG23

What do you mean exactly when you say that peat has a higher CEC and is therefore more forgiving? Are you talking strictly about buffer capacity? Did you read any of Analog's posts about how the ratio of NO3:NH4 effects soil solution pH and subsequently ion uptake? I've noticed your recipe has 0% NH4. The higher CEC of the peat would resist changes to soil solution pH better than the coco and could be entering into the equation here.

When comparing two mediums with different characteristics but not customizing the fertilizer program to those specific characteristics, aren't you really only testing the efficacy of the fert program? It seems what you're side by side is showing right now is that peat is a better medium for your fertilizer program, not that peat is a better medium overall than coco. I understand that may not be what you're trying to say, but some might take it that way.

Theoneandonly Z

Theoneandonly Z

good thread cap, keep us updated.

ive been running peat/perlite/ewc combo for a couple years and have been completely satisfied. im still tinkering around with adding coco (50peat/50coco(cocogro - bcare) 25%perlite 25%ewc) i dunno if i like it or not, but its all lookin decent. right now i got a 4x4 bed of 1 1/2 bales sunshine#4, 2 bags ready-gro aeration, and 1 bag of ewc (probably coulda used more) and the gals seem to be loving it.

running a simple blend of roots organics/soul synthetics nutes + aact/1week. Thinking about switching to a dynagro base for a run or two though

these 9 gals were vegged in 1 gals grow bags for awhile then transplanted (Tahoe Alien) in this 4x4 bed..
IMG 20130820 223844 877

threw up some support for these bitches
IMG 20130825 131814 526

then over vegged the shit outta them.. about 2 1/2 weeks after photos up top! HA
IMG 20130920 091458 589

kweezy420

kweezy420

i use #4 n enjoy it. however they have some new lil funguys thas been chilen in the bales. a yellow fungus of sorts.
ill take a pic of the lil guys that have been poppin up. it doesnt bother me and doesnt seem to have any negative effects at this point
Leucocoprinus birnbaumii mushroom spores/mycelium

Latest posts

Top Bottom