Cinnamon and mycorrhizae good or bads

• Thread starter MagicNative1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
MagicNative1

MagicNative1

So I have a question haven't really used it before but I've known about it and I decided to use it this time but I've been battling myself all night because of it now...

Cinnamon is supposed to be a good pesticide or controller actually.. bugs especially ones like fungus nats etc hate it... And it's supposed to be a good anti bacterial...

This here is exactly what I'm having problems with in my head and for the life I've me can't seem to find anywhere...
It helps as far as an antibacterial... But what about when it comes to the good bacterias you want to promote in your soil.. will it have an effect on them as well. Will it work it's way into killing off Al the good microbial life within your soil or will it help protect it or even act as an aid to it...
For some reason in my head I am thinking not and my ADHD wound mind won't let it go... Which to me is my head telling me get rid of it dude, your about to screw things up...
Anyone else have an idea o this or have anything from experience to say wether this is a ""Yay"" or ""Nay"" situation
Thanks for the help and any kind of heads up

Homesteader

Homesteader

Cinnamon is probably pretty pricey but I doubt you will hurt anything using it unless you go with an oil. I think you could leave it out though and be a bit heavier in the wallet and just as happy.

MagicNative1

MagicNative1

Cinnamon is probably pretty pricey but I doubt you will hurt anything using it unless you go with an oil. I think you could leave it out though and be a bit heavier in the wallet and just as happy.
Ok so what do you suggest buying or using as a bug deterrent, mold, suppressant, some what root stimulator etc that is cheaper than sprinkling a tbs of cinnamon powder over your top soil..

And I'm not to worried about the five or six buck on cinnamon, what I was wanting to now is if the cinnamon will have negative effects on my mycorrhizae /rhizosphere and microbial life... That's definitely way more important than $5

Homesteader

Homesteader

No I don't think you will have any negative effects with using $5 of cinnamon or $10 for that matter.

Shaded_One

Shaded_One

Ok so what do you suggest buying or using as a bug deterrent, mold, suppressant, some what root stimulator etc that is cheaper than sprinkling a tbs of cinnamon powder over your top soil..

And I'm not to worried about the five or six buck on cinnamon, what I was wanting to now is if the cinnamon will have negative effects on my mycorrhizae /rhizosphere and microbial life... That's definitely way more important than $5
Their signature literally has a thread linking to organic pest management 🥸

MagicNative1

MagicNative1

If it actually is an antibacterial, it will kill both good and bad.
I haaaate that... That's what has had me for the last 2 days I just transplanted and laid out a couple of scoops of cooked egg shell and top dressed that with the cinnamon.. thing's aren't bad or anything yet.. still cold but later on now that spring n then summer is rollin around...
I'm worried all the Mycorrhizae I just stirred into the new soil is gonna be thrashed cuz of it

Oldchucky

Oldchucky

Supporter
I think mycorrhizae are fungi so maybe you will slide. I have heard of it being used as a foliar. Have no idea of it’s effect In the root zone.

MagicNative1

MagicNative1

I think mycorrhizae are fungi so maybe you will slide. I have heard of it being used as a foliar. Have no idea of it’s effect In the root zone.
I've read only a few places where it's supposed to help promote good bacteria growth / mycorrhizae / fungi... But I mean they whole point of using mycorrhizae is so that you get that beneficial relationship between the 2 as well as kinda start that buffer zone between both so that as the Mycorrhizae is helping feed those roots what their wanting so that the Mycorrhizae gets the sugars n such they need as a byproduct... 🤷🏻‍♂️

But I've read a whole hell of a lot more that because it's an anti bacterial it'll help kill of any fungus or bad bacteria that's where I'm like... Well damn... Thinking of just shop vaccing that and my egg shell off my top soil and laying down some more egg shell so I have it breaking down and supplementing the extra calcium needed in veg

Peat_Phreak

Peat_Phreak

A quick google says cinnamon is anti-bacterial and anti-fungal. Myco is a fungus. However, the amount of cinnamon required for anti-microbial action is in the form of concentrated cinnamon oil. Sprinkling cinnamon powder is probably not going to do much or anything at all.

If all you want to do is kill gnats, there are plenty of other ways to do it.

steamroller

steamroller

From my experience medicating fish with antibacterial agents ;
Most will target and effect the smallest form of life first .
If there is a high concentration of the bacteria then it will take more med to wipe it out.
Bacteria usually grow and recover at very fast paces .
Eventually if you dosed low enough the cinnamon will become depleted before your good bacteria .

Bullybeans420

Bullybeans420

So I have a question haven't really used it before but I've known about it and I decided to use it this time but I've been battling myself all night because of it now...

Cinnamon is supposed to be a good pesticide or controller actually.. bugs especially ones like fungus nats etc hate it... And it's supposed to be a good anti bacterial...

This here is exactly what I'm having problems with in my head and for the life I've me can't seem to find anywhere...
It helps as far as an antibacterial... But what about when it comes to the good bacterias you want to promote in your soil.. will it have an effect on them as well. Will it work it's way into killing off Al the good microbial life within your soil or will it help protect it or even act as an aid to it...
For some reason in my head I am thinking not and my ADHD wound mind won't let it go... Which to me is my head telling me get rid of it dude, your about to screw things up...
Anyone else have an idea o this or have anything from experience to say wether this is a ""Yay"" or ""Nay"" situation
Thanks for the help and any kind of heads up
I have used with great results i used for cloning so i wouldnt develope mold and they all rooted none died and they didnt seem to lack drive they rooted quick and actually had no set back they started growing as soon as they hit the dirt plus i would sprinkle cinnamon on top soil to keep bugs away it worked just not as good as i expected try using an inch of sand on your top soil the does the trick like a charm

Top Bottom