circulating fans - commerical grade options? - what has lasted for you?

• Thread starter leadsled
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Hello farmers. Let talk about fans for air circulation.

Hopefully some of you must have stepped up to some commercial fan or found something that is durable. I Am getting about a year max out of circulating fans. BEtween home de pot and hydro store models.

I am looking for some new osc fans. Trying to find something more durable. Or should I stick with the cheap fans and replace em?

Ecoplus = Crap, lasted about a year
Air King = lasted about a year.
Lasko = Homedepot brand. few months at most with 24/7 use.

Quantum has a infinite breeze wall mount fan that looks nice. $55-60 for a wall mount. Anyone used one of these?

I searched for commercial fans and saw some air king models. Any tips or suggestions? please share what has held up for you?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Shit, I just got a 10" EcoPlus inline, I sure in hell hope it lasts longer than a year. Wait... sorry... heh, this is good Bubba.

I get the cheap fans from Wallyworld. Being a Queen of Fans, besides a huge fan of fans, all my life, I will just pull them apart and clean them up, usually gets them working again. However, I usually buy box fans and the newer tiltable style of box fan, haven't gotten many oscillating fans besides the tiny tower fans I got for our travel trailer. Tower fans usually last me three to five years.

Do you clean your fans at all? That can help. I find that turning off and on again tends to shorten lifespan, whereas keeping it on all the time keeps it working.

***Edit*** Ok, I've got my head a little better wrapped around this. In certain large scale applications, a horse barn for instance, you simply can't use oscillating fans longterm because they don't hold up. I point my fans at a surface and create turbulence in order to get variable air currents, slight buffeting, and help ensure no dead areas.

R

RMCG

Lasko Industrial Oscillating.

Its always the oscillator that 'wears' out on the cheap ones.

K

KING_KONG_KOLAS

Shit I have some Air Kings that have been kicking for over 4 yrs now.. and they run half a day every day.. No complaints here.. except a few have quit oscillatting.. No worries though it still points and blows just fine..lol

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
im using the air kings as well. very quiet and its been a year. the do cost more though

Red Reign

Red Reign

I have 2 years on my Active Air wall mount fans. One did stop oscillating. The screw that connects to the rotating arm broke. I removed the piece of broken screw, put in a new screw, and it works fine.

LBH

LBH

As dad always said, "eliminate, don't compensate".

If this is a continual problem, change your ways. Maybe 2-3 smaller fans, properly placed, that don't isolate?

leadsled

leadsled

GrowRU
Thanks for sharing everyone. I am little bit tired of overpriced hobby hydro equipment so was probably a little harsh in my post. Obviously with fan brand and life ymmv. Steel is real. So I got the terms correct now commercial and industrial grade... :)

Was doing some searches for commercial grade fans and I found this on the lasko site. Looks like an industrial grade model may hold up better for fogging and being used with a humidifier.

at is the difference between Commercial and Industrial Grade Fans? A Commercial grade fan is generally constructed of metal, and has a metal blade, that is used to circulate the air. Commercial grade fans are generally more powerful than other fans and are used in commercial applications. The blade size ranges from 12" to 30". An industrial grade fan is also constructed of metal and has a metal blade, however, an industrial grade fan must have a sealed motor to be considered for industrial application. An industrial grade fan that is generally constructed out of metal, or having a metal blade, that is used to circulate the air. The blade size ranges from 18" to 30".

Looks like lasko has a wall mount oscillating "industrial grade" 3 prong grounded sealed motor fan.

Shit, I just got a 10" EcoPlus inline, I sure in hell hope it lasts longer than a year. Wait... sorry... heh, this is good Bubba.

I get the cheap fans from Wallyworld. Being a Queen of Fans, besides a huge fan of fans, all my life, I will just pull them apart and clean them up, usually gets them working again. However, I usually buy box fans and the newer tiltable style of box fan, haven't gotten many oscillating fans besides the tiny tower fans I got for our travel trailer. Tower fans usually last me three to five years.

Do you clean your fans at all? That can help. I find that turning off and on again tends to shorten lifespan, whereas keeping it on all the time keeps it working.

***Edit*** Ok, I've got my head a little better wrapped around this. In certain large scale applications, a horse barn for instance, you simply can't use oscillating fans longterm because they don't hold up. I point my fans at a surface and create turbulence in order to get variable air currents, slight buffeting, and help ensure no dead areas.

Hey it can be hit and miss. I do have one ecoplus fan running for 4 years. The osc feature broke but rigged it up to keep working. The ecoplus inline have lasted for a while as well. I am probably being harsh since they all tanked at once. But they were all purchased at the same time.

Yes, I do clean the fans, also do try and keep em going. I have had good luck with the box fans and the tilting models as well. At $60.00 a pop for osc model at dro store... wanted to do some research first. No use in spending 60.00 when can get commercial model for that price.

gotta keep the movement going between the canopy and plants. Wanted to get re-stocked before winter hits. Or else I get looked at like a freak because I am asking for fans in the fall/winter. :)

the green ecoplus inline fans actually arent bad for the price. Have 2 that have been running 24/7 for almost2 years.

Lasko Industrial Oscillating.

Its always the oscillator that 'wears' out on the cheap ones.

Agreed, I agree about the oscialltor, mine broke but was able to fix it up, bit now the fan motors are not working. One is still going but need that osc movement.
Lasko Looks like a winner, they even got possibly "overkill" industrial models. Thanks

Shit I have some Air Kings that have been kicking for over 4 yrs now.. and they run half a day every day.. No complaints here.. except a few have quit oscillatting.. No worries though it still points and blows just fine..lol

Thanks for sharing, I need oscillating air between the 1000watt lights and the canopy. Already got a shitload of non-oscillating fans. I like to use both.

I saw the osc air kings. Also noticed have some commercial models, they looked appealing but hydro store guy was telling me he did think they were worth it. so help off. I do have some air king fans (non osciallating) that have held up fine. The clip on model mounts break easily but the motors do hold up.

im using the air kings as well. very quiet and its been a year. the do cost more though

I agree about the price. That is why I am researching at that price point and seeing if can get something more long term for a little more $$

I have 2 years on my Active Air wall mount fans. One did stop oscillating. The screw that connects to the rotating arm broke. I removed the piece of broken screw, put in a new screw, and it works fine.

Got one still going. Did the same until motor crapped out. I need osc fans.

As dad always said, "eliminate, don't compensate".

If this is a continual problem, change your ways. Maybe 2-3 smaller fans, properly placed, that don't isolate?

2-3 smaller non osc fans does not cut it. There are multiple 1000watt lights in a room. Continual problem not really. In time things will break. All part of wear and tear on a 365/24/7 part.

Air flow is not something I want to eliminate. I am looking into changing my ways by stepping up quality of the fans. I do get your point and thanks for sharing.

A

antimatter

I quit using os fans just got my exhaust fan with lots of filtered intakes and a big ass filter with a 12" vortex for mixing up the air for even heat works great.

Top Bottom