Cleaning Grow Room after Open Pollination

• Thread starter Comacus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Comacus

Comacus

I am looking for the different methods you all use after doing an open pollination in a grow room to insure you have all the remaining pollen cleaned and removed before the next run.

Currently, I would typically isolate the male, and collect the pollen for individual dusting of bud sites with a paint brush. After the grow, I would just wipe down the room with some environmentally friendly household cleaner with a small amount of bleach added. Since I am introducing very small amounts of pollen with this method it has been working.

The problem has been that I do not have two growing areas so I must isolate the male under less than ideal conditions (e outside, or in a window with no supplemental light) This usually leads to the male pollen not being ready until after the peak pollination window has already passed. So I end up storing the pollen in the freezer for later use. This is OK but then that unique cross I was trying to make during that cycle is lost.

So back to my original question. I plan to try an open pollenation run next time leaving the male in the flowering room with the females. This will introduce a lot more pollen into the room so I am looking for your suggestions and techniques of cleaning the room after the run to be sure I remove and eliminnate any remaining pollen so it is not in the environment for the next cycle.

I would probably still ultimately remove the male after having only a few pollen sacks open so as not to produce too many seeds.

I have thought about using my same method of household cleaner and bleach with a double wipe down. Has anyone used any other cleaning or isolation techniques.

It will be expecially important my next run as I plan to do an open pollenation with some Autos. I want to be sure I eliminate any of the Auto pollen for future seed runs so I do not introduce the Auto trait to my non auto varieties.

Thank you all for your input.

Top Bottom