cleaning shatter

• Thread starter toquer
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

toquer

Okay so I left the shop with the vacuum pump running and it ran low, upon returning I goofed and didn't close the vessel and filled up the pump. Damn. I goofed. So the product was then sitting on pump oil soaked parchment paper. It's been placed on successive sheets of parchment as I continue to try to dry it off. Anybody got any ideas?

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Done I think, unless you have the equipment for fractional distillation. :(

LittleDabbie

LittleDabbie

Supporter
Ideas... I got a few but none on how to clean that shit up... Its contaminated soaked in and yukk.. Centrifuge?

W

Watashi420

I actually salvaged some wax for a friend that this happened to. Now he got a little bit of oil in his wax (maybe a squirt for 200g of wax), not sure if yours is same, better or worse. But, what I did was soak it in a bottle of Everclear Grain Alcohol, it is a 190ish proof ethanol. Here in Cali I can only use the 151 but it worked good. Soak it until it fully dissolved. the VacOil will now be free floating from the ethanol, now freeze it, well it won't freeze but it will get fucking cold. The MSDS for compressor vac oil says it freezes at -2 if I remember right, I used a laser thermometer and after about 8 hours it was at -4 degrees. I then poured off the mix into 10 or so pint glasses with an unbleached coffee filter over the opening of each one, pouring quickly I was able to ( at least I think) remove all (enough) of the oil in the filter while it's viscosity was near frozen. The quick short pours allowed for me to control how I poured and how quickly I could put the mixing bowl (full of ethanol) down and take the filter off quick to not allow the oil to melt and drip through. The wax came out beautiful and the sludge that came out from the filters and sedement/pour-off was nasty black greasy shit. I have a pic somewhere, I'll find it.

EDIT: Found it.

IMG 20131120 135954 272
Last edited:
T

toquer

I was thinking an iso bath and then super cool since liquid nitrogen is readily available at the metal shop. But it's only like 40g so it's not really worth that much time and effort. The vac oil is clear and has been coming off fairly easily on each successive sheet there has been less. Smoked some and it tastes fine, but I still wanna wash it somehow. Need to get me s buchnell funnel.

A

AlterEgo860

look at skunkpharms polishing extracts thread.. that should get it out..

also.. what my buddy did was.. froze his bho.. and then took a paper towel.. and got most of his pump oil off..

this happened to me.. but with shatter.. so I tossed icecubes in my heatsource with water.. and got it to a shatter.. then I took out my piece and wiped it off. ..

but that don't work unless u catch it on a hard piece of shatter.. and ur quick with it .

T

toquer

Good call in checking skunkpharms. Always so much to learn there.

Herb Forester

Herb Forester

Good call in checking skunkpharms. Always so much to learn there.
There's another post on that blog where they fractioned dissolved oil with a GC, that's what I was referring to. Wouldn't a hexane and ethanol or salt water wash leave pump oil in with the good stuff?

Top Bottom