Cleaning with vegetable oil after each run?

• Thread starter Worm254
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
W

Worm254

first time growing here so bare with me.

I'm a bit perplexed by this but a buddy of mine, who has been growing with the under current systems for the past 2 years has only cleaned with vegetable oil after each run. says its a natural antibacterial. He adds about a half a bottle to fresh water after each harvest and runs it for a few hours, then drains. He has had zero problems the last 2 years (except for mites), and runs only Advanced Nutrients, no teas . Anybody hear of this before, or actually do this before?
What is your preferred method to clean after each run?
I personally use bleach to clean.

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

I don't know what to say I am speechless, oil really! Is that Italian or extra light or canola , boggles the mind. Using oil in your hydroponic system is only for vegetables!. ;) ..I have never heard such a preposterous idea. You sure he's your friend? :eek: There is just so much wrong with that idea, stuff dies when coated with oil, umm like roots, oil harbors and attracts things, you would never get the system clean.

It's a good thing your getting a second opinion. :)

I DO NOT THINK THAT IS A GOOD IDEA, what greeneye04 ^^^^ said makes more sense. You got to send that question to Daniel at UC HQ o_O

Peace

Zonkerly

Zonkerly

I use veg oil to clean my hands and some stuff with it, cleans the sticky off the fingers really good.

W

Worm254

No joke! That's what he does. My guess is he must be ride on luck these last few years, but who knows me might be onto something! But I doubt it! Think I'll stick to using bleach as its the least expensive of the bunch.

Never thought of using the veg oil to clean sticky fingers, I will have to try that out. Thanks for the tip!

Greeneye04

Greeneye04

No joke! That's what he does. My guess is he must be ride on luck these last few years, but who knows me might be onto something! But I doubt it! Think I'll stick to using bleach as its the least expensive of the bunch.

Never thought of using the veg oil to clean sticky fingers, I will have to try that out. Thanks for the tip!
I would def,leave the oil for cleaning scissors and hands works great for that

LexLuthor

LexLuthor

Vegetable oil doesn't sound good for any hydroponic system because it doesn't mix with water, so you can't get it out of your system unless you run soap through it multiple times and that still might not work. Also, I've never heard of veg oil killing bacteria, I could be wrong, but it sounds far fetched and doesn't make much sense.

squiggly

squiggly

I don't know what to say I am speechless, oil really! Is that Italian or extra light or canola , boggles the mind. Using oil in your hydroponic system is only for vegetables!. ;) ..I have never heard such a preposterous idea. You sure he's your friend? :eek:

There is just so much wrong with that idea, stuff dies when coated with oil, umm like roots, oil harbors and attracts things, you would never get the system clean.

It's a good thing your getting a second opinion. :)

I DO NOT THINK THAT IS A GOOD IDEA, what greeneye04 ^^^^ said makes more sense. You got to send that question to Daniel at UC HQ o_O

Peace

I would def,leave the oil for cleaning scissors and hands works great for that

Actually, while this might seem quite silly--as it is not what you are used to doing with oil. Oil works quite well at destroying most bacteria.

Some gram positive bacteria will survive, but these tend to be the types of bacteria that attack us--not our plants.

What happens here is very simple.

The bacteria possesses an outer membrane (they are single celled organisms). This membrane is known as a phospholipid bilayer.

It is made up of what it sounds like (and I'll oversimplify it here for the sake of this discussion) A lipid tail and a phosphate "head".

The phosphate is polar and interacts well with water (in the extracellular medium and in the intracellular cytosol). The lipid "tails" prefer to hang out together--as a result of something known as hydrophobic interactions.

In fact, if you throw a bunch of phospholipids into water, lipid bilayers (spherical ones, known as miscelles) will form spontaneously.

When we add vegetable oil (which consists mostly of polyunsaturated triacylglycerols--or triglycerides)--the fat molecules (and other molecules present, such as other phospholipids) can start to insert into the lipid bilayer (fatty acid end first).

This destabilizes the membrane and can cause one of a few deaths for the bacterium:

1. Bi-layer collapses and the organism is destroyed.

2. Membrane becomes too large--making it impossible for the bacterium to maintain necessary charge/ion gradients for metabolism.

3. Membrane becomes too "soft", the bacterium will die when it bumps into something--and its ability to thrive in the current temperature (and higher temperatures) will be significantly reduced.

4. Membrane becomes too rigid and the opposite will happen--i.e. lower temperatures will kill the bacterium.

This is FAR FAR FAR from a 100% solution, but it should work in a great deal of cases.

So says science.

P.S. this should also be effective on a variety of:

1. Endospores.
2. Fungal spores
3. Insect eggs/larvae

phospholipid_bilayer.jpg

lipos.gif

woodsmaneh

woodsmaneh

Well that was sort of en-lighting I think. I stand corrected knock yourself out with the oil and you can be the second person in the world to use it. LOL

So think it will kill all these? Pythium aphanidermatum, P. dissotocum, and Pythium group F infect roots of hydroponic plants by means of zoospores and mycelia.

Squiggly your a fountain of information in this some times desert...Love the lessons

I also don't think I will try it out, as for the oil killing pathogens I have my doubts as even the best cleaning agents don't get it all, could happen I guess.

Management of Pythium root rot in the production of hydroponic crops is generally a difficult challenge. Extraordinary sanitation measures do not necessarily exclude or destroy the causal pathogens, and once initiated, epidemics are difficult to contain. Recent advances in knowledge and understanding of the etiology and epidemiology of root rot, and in methods and approaches to control the disease, are providing a framework for major improvements in root rot management and in the overall health and productivity of hydroponic crops.

Just saying leave the oil for frying stuff.

Peace

PS liquid glove or hand cream just before trimming works great.

Images

W

Worm254

Amazing, who would've thought that there was a little truth to the madness. Might explain why his crops didn't tank like I would have thought over the last year of so through the continued use of oil. Though only time will tell if it starts to gunk up his stuff. Don't think i will be trying that anytime soon though. I think for now i will be sticking to the tried and true.
Looks like my buddy isn't totally crazy...Just mostly lol

Top Bottom