Cleaning Your Oil Rig

• Thread starter Steve Gray
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Steve Gray

Steve Gray

hey yall. i was just sittin here cleanin my oil rig and i noticed the amount of oil comin out of it. i was wondering if you could smoke that again...and whats the best/cleanest method of cleaning your oil rig and reusing the oil you clean. cant wait to read ur answers. thanx

M

montroller

I use a torch to slightly heat the glass until it drips out most of it. I save that for seasoning new TI and making edibles. The resin or reclaim is usually pretty close to the same potency as the oil you were smoking but it is decarboxylated and tastes shitty. Some people soak there piece in ISO then let that evaporate to leave you with reclaim.

OGONLY

OGONLY

I use a torch to slightly heat the glass until it drips out most of it. I save that for seasoning new TI and making edibles. The resin or reclaim is usually pretty close to the same potency as the oil you were smoking but it is decarboxylated and tastes shitty. Some people soak there piece in ISO then let that evaporate to leave you with reclaim.

Regarding seasoning the TI, what exactly is the purpose of this? How do you do it?

I just got a replacement TI nail the other day and the first hit did taste a little funny. I noticed an odor when I heated the nail for the first time, so I torched it pretty good. Would a seasoning have helped me?

As far as reclaim is conserned, monotroller hit the nail on the head as far as methods of reclaiming. I use the heating tecnique myself. I keep my reclaim in a certain container and have a bunch of it. Funny thing is though I've never even tried the stuff. Guess I just know its going to be tastless lol.

M

montroller

I season my TI by first heating it glowing hot then letting it cool, this is a good time to check the quality of your TI. If it is turning a blueish purple then you most likely have legit grade 2 TI.

After it is cool I heat it glowing hot again and glob a good .1 of oil. Always do this outside because the oil will dance and sizzle and shoot everywhere, if your rig is tiny you might want to wear a glove.

The TI still isn't seasoned, this time heat it just before it is red hot and put another .1 - .2 on there. The idea at this stage is to keep the nail just under the temperature where it would quickly vaporize. You still want it vaping but slowly.

Depending on how much claim or oil I have I do this up to three times before smoking but honestly it is pretty wasteful and not really necessary except to keep true flavor. The nail will season itself over time.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

so hold my rig upside down and let all that gooodness drip out, then iso bath it

M

montroller

Lightly torch it when it is upside down until the heated reclaim pours out. Make sure you have something to catch it with. This works best on direct inject pieces because the downstem is exposed. Then you can do an ISO soak if you feel you can get more or just clean it with ISO and wash it down the drain.

Jebus

Jebus

been curious about this myself, i have a huge amount of reclaim in my rig's joint adapter, been holding off on washin it jus cuz i dunno if i should save it or jus let it go down the drain hmm maybe ill try cooking with it, dont plan on smoking it again tho...good post steve gray

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

yea thanks, i actually ran an iso bath and let is sit for a long time and the reclaim stayed there so thats what made me post this. ill prolly just drip it onto parchment paper. and can you smoke that reclaim? or do you have to purge it?

M

montroller

If you did an ISO soak it needs to be purged but if you are just using a torch it can be smoked.

Steve Gray

Steve Gray

yea i already ran an iso bath but it didnt collect the reclaim
from now on im not gunna iso bathe my rig until i get all the reclaim but do u think i ruind the reclaim thats in there now?

Graywolf

Graywolf

We wash the oil out of our oil only pipes with hot ethanol and reclaim for evening sleep meds or topical.

When you season the Ti nail, you build a protective alpha case by turning the extremely reactive Titanium into almost totally inert Titanium oxide and nitrides. Ti is so reactive in an oxygen atmosphere, that like magnesium and zirconium, it will burn brightly in thin ribbon form.

Once an alpha case is built, the oxygen and nitrogen are no longer in contact with the Ti atoms, nor is anything else.

I heat mine to glowing red a couple of times with a propane plumbers torch, with cooling in between, and then coat it with oil and cook it out again a couple of times above 750F, to form Ti carbides with any unreacted Ti. The 750F will disassociate any remaining carbon based deposits, leaving behind only a very light white ash, and turning everything else not tied up atomically to CO2 and water.

joshadelph

joshadelph

Stuff is called "reclaim"...ALOT of people bake with it. They collect it with alcohol and than evap. that off and bake with it because it has already been "heat activated". Smoking it is a bit rough, but there are tests showing it still over 60% THC

jyip

jyip

im about 2 months into the bho now,,,, like it alot and see it as a cleaner & healthier way to medicate with,,,,, my concerns were health related ones,, like am i purging my bho enuff? how would i tell/check/kno if it is or needs to be pured more?. ....i am thinking that flare-ups would be from butane left in oil, but i imagine the oil would also flare up on hi heat like cooking oil would,, like a grease fire almost.... so visually can you see the butane in the oil, or experience with bho is needed to detect it in taste when smoking or whatnot

thx for anything on safely vaping bho...fyi,, i have 14" ZOB beaker waterpipe with a silca ash catcher on it to smoke, and I'm wating on a Ti nail I jus ordered, till now it has been glass nail

heres question for ya.... how hot is that vapor after it hits the Ti nail?? it must not be much cuz it burns so quickly, and if ya have a bubbler it must cool it down easily,, i am 1st started smoking it with a vaopr whip that i put a SS screen in, then would heat it over gas stove flame,,, worked real good i thought,, i pin drop the size os a B was a gagger to hit

anyhow, thx for any info

another question for ya

i need to get a 18 mm male to 18 mm female 45 % joint adapter to level my nail out,,, BUT nobody has them in stock ,,,not aqua labs, brothers in glass,,nothin on amazon or ebay too ,,anyone know webste that has them now,,,im ready to order one now

double thx

graywolf,,,pm me if ya grow the nipple so ill stop smokin erl,,lol

T

toketime

Is it bad for the glass using heat to remove the reclaim over a long period of time of having this done to the piece will it cause strain or the glass to become weaker? I have a expensive rig and do not want to take any chances

mr roboto

mr roboto

Is it bad for the glass using heat to remove the reclaim over a long period of time of having this done to the piece will it cause strain or the glass to become weaker? I have a expensive rig and do not want to take any chances
I wouldn't heat the glass with a flame, well when I tried that a long time ago all it did was dicolor the glass where the flame was, good thing it was just that lil glass piece under the nail. Plus the reclaim that I smoked from that taste like $hit! I never did that again, no way

Hashmasta-Kut

Hashmasta-Kut

Supporter
i use heat to remove the oil from my curves on my pieces for years now. it doesnt bake stuff in, or break stuff much at all.

T

tvheddenver

Ok I signed up just to share this with everyone...
I have a bachelor's in biology and chemistry and sat down andchatted with my other good friend, a doctor of chemical engineering...
We concluded that the resin collected is fantastic! Up until the mouthpiece all you have done is concentrated the material by burning away carbonaceous material - like any lipids, chlorophyll, etc..., and as mentioned, up until the mouthpiece, all you have created is a distillation chamber

Top Bottom