Clippings Question

• Thread starter StrwbryCough
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
StrwbryCough

StrwbryCough

Hey so I topped all 7 tops of my plant 9 days ago and have been keeping the clippings alive in water. I put a little fertalizer in their water today. So this may be a dumb question, but I'm new at this so bear with me. Is there any chance those will sprout roots in water or will I need to have cloning solution and the little seed starter pods?

tattoojim

tattoojim

Unknown farmer
Supporter
They will root, slowly but root.
I would use plane water tho. And mix a light nuts solution in a spray bottle. And mist once to twice a day, depending on how dry it is where your at.

Scotian Roc

Scotian Roc

I find the best way to take clones is, cut on a 45 degree angle, dip in water then scrape about an inch all around the bottom of where you cut it off the plant, then you can let them soak in water with some super thrive for a week or 2, or dip in rooting hormone and put in jiffy pucks, soil or whatever your medium is. Depending on strain, some clones root better than others.

You really shouldn't have put nutes in your water besides super thrive......

soserthc1

soserthc1

Jim is correct and there are many ways to clone just putting in water being one . you don't want the water to go stagnant so change everyday. Its a little tedious but will root .
Or direct in dirt will work on a 50/50 % basis also but a little harder without rooting gel .
I'm aware u have one plant and its all new to you so we won't cover cloners and such
FYI a dry rooting hormone at home depot or Lowe's is like 4 bucks

StrwbryCough

StrwbryCough

Right on!! I never knew! Okay so are you saying I should change my water again because I put fertalizer in them and Just have them in plane water and get some super thrive? They are cut at a 45° angle btw.

johnnyrotten

johnnyrotten

that is the way my wife clones the plants in her vegtable garden...she doesn't change water, hell she doesn't even scrape any of the skin off the plant around the 45 degree cut, use any rooting gel or a humidity dome...she gets around a 100% success rate...kicks my ass!

With that said, the best success I've had with rooting clones is using cloning gell and scraping the outer skin off the bottom 1/2" of the stem...you need to be careful with humidity domes, once the plants is showing new growth or starts yellowing at all, it needs to come out of the dome...I learned that the hard way, I almost cried when I walked in and saw 24 clones dead because I left it on too long...

rubthe nub

rubthe nub

Change water daily or aerate the water with an aquarium air pump/stone
Need to keep oxygen in the water

Latest posts

Top Bottom