Clog free (resistant) drippers?

• Thread starter Janus
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
J

Janus

I've used the Raindrip pressure compensating drippers for years. When I switched to this feed method they were the most resistant to clogging I could find (still at least 1x week from salts). Has anyone found something better?

Thanks

J

Jalisco Kid

Why use emitters you are just adding a weak link. Use a timer with an open flow to your buckets or if it is a constant feed just open your return valve to your rez until you get the flow you are looking for. JK

J

Janus

Drippers have a higher DO level than a normal 'open' but low-flow 1/4" or 1/8" line. Timers and cycling the feed IMO don't provide exact moisture management of the media and uniform delivery of salts.

J

Jalisco Kid

Well then I will find the name for some self cleaning emitters from Israel. What kind of pressure can you get with those japanese pumps as I think you need 30 for those emitters to work.I do have bags of emitters if you need them lol.JK

J

Janus

Thanks JK. When I switched to drippers (years ago) I tried dozens of different brands/models. There were a few that seemed a little better about resisting the salt buildup. I was hoping that someone else had since found something better. I actually use 4 drippers per bkt. 2 works OK but more seems to give me more margin of safety when one (or more) inevitably plug.

These all look interesting:

http://jains.com/irrigation/emitters and drippers/trickle stik.htm

http://www.discount-hydro.com/productdisp.php?pid=550&navid=22

(Cobra Stake model)

I'm gonna call Netafim next week to see what they know. Asking your Israeli homey would be appreciated.

S

Sway

you need a filter on your water system somewhere before it splits to the feed lines. they sell pvc filters everywhere. clean the filter once a week and your problems will stop

J

Janus

Thanks dizzle. I guess the drip clean is something to be run through the system? I'm very picky about what I put in my rezs. Something to clean the drippers will def not find it's way into my mix. Mine get cleaned weekly via large syringe and rubber tube (suck out salts) and every dripper is replaced once a month during high EC periods. Thanks

M

mrdizzle

it mixes up with the nutes and prevents any build up of salts. did doesnt work to unclog only to keep from clogging.

S

Sway

sounds weird to me if you have that much salt buildup. in every hydro setup i ever did i never had that much salt to where it would clog a dripper in a 3 month runs time. and havent seen it ever with all my friends operations.. i would definitely look into your water and nutrients. if u change your water weekly it doesnt make sense why you would have that much salt buildup... seems like your plants would definitely be showing signs of salt buildup if your drippers are blocked with it.. ill be watchin this thread to see what u figure out, this makes me very curious

J

Janus

Thanks dizzle. Any idea what it's made of? Even then if my plants can't eat/drink it, it prob won't go in my solution...

M

Monkey OG

what about switching your water quality?

Ever since I started running with RO i have noticed that I dont get a salt build up in my rez's pratically spotless.

gisisi

gisisi

Drip clean is a 0-18-6 liquid concentrate, derived from phosphoric acid anhydride and potassium oxide.

It is recommended to add to nutrient solution at the rate of 0.1mL/gallon.

I ran it through pH's spreadsheet and got

Phosphorus 2.7
Potassium 1.7

So the plants can eat it, but I don't understand how it works. I have read that farmers will add phosphoric acid to keep fertigation equipment from clogging, but their solutions didn't have and phosphorous to begin with.

Since we already have these in our nutes, I don't see how it could possibly work, but all the House and Garden users sure think its magic.

chrometrichs

chrometrichs

Have you tried the drip emitter tubing Janus? I create rings around the plant with this tubing. The emitters which are spaced every 6 inches provide the perfect drip flow distribution through your medium. Check out the the link in my signature, you can see pics of what I'm referring to. Btw the tubing is so cheap, I just replace it every cycle, though I've never had a problem with it clogging.

J

Janus

Thanks to all for chiming in. I did a full autopsy on some plugged drippers yesterday and it turns out that most of the clogging is being cause by root debris in the system. I have raw water strainers (http://www.sherwoodpumps.com/en-us/Products/Raw+Water+Strainers/) before the feed goes to the drippers but apparently the mesh is not fine enough to catch the tiny stuff. I'm going to get finer screen to see if it helps.

Latest posts

Top Bottom