Clone From Clone?

• Thread starter Blackhouse
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Blackhouse

Blackhouse

I’ve looked for some info regarding this but I’ve come up empty handed. Is this a thing? Will it be of diluted strength? Just seeing if anyone has any thoughts on this

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I have read of, in extreme numbers of generations, of some loss of vigor. Traits are not lost, growing vigor typically is. This is in gardening in general, not cannabis specific. Many fruit tree varieties are at least dozens of generations. Second generation should be no issue at all.

Samwell

Samwell

Breeder
I have found that after a few rounds it's much harder to clone
and some die because of loss of vigour
think that's why people keep mothers because then you are cloning
from a strong stable plant
otherwise everyone would just clone from their clones for the next round
and not use up space for mothers

MIMedGrower

MIMedGrower

I'm growing a pre-98 bubba cut that has been cloned off clones off clones for over 20 years. Still grows big and beautiful, and it still smells, tastes and smokes like I remember.

Thats most of the old growers out here too. A friends dad has been cloning a 25 year old NYPD over and over each season for him and his brother.

Its some amazing stuff. They named it right as Power Diesel. :-)

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
what cloning method do you use so that I can switch
don't have room for mothers
I just take cuttings from my plants when they're about 7 days into 12/12.

Then I root and veg them under T5's until the flower room is empty. When it is I move them in there and veg for a couple more weeks under HID before flipping I to flower and the cycle continues.

B

Badmf

I’ve looked for some info regarding this but I’ve come up empty handed. Is this a thing? Will it be of diluted strength? Just seeing if anyone has any thoughts on this
As long as plants are kept healthy you'll be fine still doing WW from years ago lol, just periodically check for pests and fungus as you should anyways!

simcoesod

simcoesod

rather than keeping huge mother plants all winter i just grow clones in 1 gal containers and after 6-7 weeks ill take 2 clones from the plant in the 1 gal pot...once rooted,i throw the second clone away along with the original fem plant in the gal pot....saves me a bunch of space and hardly any extra work

Blackhouse

Blackhouse

U guys fawkin ROCK! I appreciate all the awesome info...this is awesome news!

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
No, clone is a exact genetic copy of its parent plant, be that plant a clone or from seed. We do this by the thousands and rarely see issues but limit cuts to 5 flower cycles and start new mothers , from seed.

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
Also look up monster crop clones, one can take clones from flowering plants and keep the cycle going without a need for dedicated mothers.

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
Personally I grow a plant out take a couple cuttings to root and then flower the plant it came from once one of the cuttings root. Rinse and repeat. I don’t keep any mothers as they are always flowered. Done this for years.

Blackhouse

Blackhouse

Personally I grow a plant out take a couple cuttings to root and then flower the plant it came from once one of the cuttings root. Rinse and repeat. I don’t keep any mothers as they are always flowered. Done this for years.
I think that is the exact route I’m going to take

JWM2

JWM2

Premium Member
Supporter
By the time any sort of genetic drift would occur I’m usually on another strain. I’ve kept a few strain around for years but most of them get cycled out as I try out new genetics in hopes of finding gems.

It’s nice to have one or two rock solid strains you can always rely on though so you have a bar to measure others by. That’s why I’ve always been a fan of AK47. It’s always treated me well and it’s a high enough bar that I don’t keep junk yet it can be surpassed by other metrics.

For example my Cali-O isn’t potent however it’s different enough that it’s earned a spot as well. The terps and buzz are great so while it might not tick off the potency check box it does tick off a number of other factors that will make it a staple for many rounds to come.

Deadstill

Deadstill

I'm from the government, and I'm here to help.
Supporter
I've heard every argument about this for years. I think it came from people making copies of copies of cassette tapes and someone assumed it must be true for clones, too. Lmao. Yes you can absolutely clone a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone, until you get tired of that strain and throw it away, if you want. It won't lose "vigor" over time if the clone was taken properly in the first place, and as long as the growing conditions are the same, will put out the same end product and quantity.

I like to keep a seed bank of every one of my strains though, so I don't have to keep growing it forever. May come in handy, too, if the end of the world comes or something.

Not to change the subject but if you want to hear a debate. Seeds vs. Clones - Which is better... FIGHT

Jack og

Jack og

Supporter
I've heard every argument about this for years. I think it came from people making copies of copies of cassette tapes and someone assumed it must be true for clones, too. Lmao. Yes you can absolutely clone a clone of a clone of a clone of a clone, until you get tired of that strain and throw it away, if you want. It won't lose "vigor" over time if the clone was taken properly in the first place, and as long as the growing conditions are the same, will put out the same end product and quantity.

I like to keep a seed bank of every one of my strains though, so I don't have to keep growing it forever. May come in handy, too, if the end of the world comes or something.

Not to change the subject but if you want to hear a debate. Seeds vs. Clones - Which is better... FIGHT
Lol agreed with ya bro! Seed to flower

Top Bottom