CLONE HELP!

• Thread starter nattydreadz
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
nattydreadz

nattydreadz

I've inherited a whole widow mama. Decided to take clones, wondering if there is a certain way to cut them off and what needs to be done to maintain and help grow roots. HELP! This is my first time dealing with clones and I want it to be perfect

orbad

orbad

You've got a lot of reading to do bud. Search around. Look on YouTube etc. I cut, relocate to a cutting board. Slice the end at a 45° then immediately dip in clonex then into moist root riot cubes. I've tried other methods this works for me. Keep them in a humidity dome and spray with water morning and night until you see strange white things sticking out. These are roots.

If they droop it was too hot or too dry. You can also cut the ends off the fan leaves to help keep them from transpiring too much. I mainly do it to keep the size of the clone down a bit.

Dunge

Dunge

Post up a picture of your plant and I'll bet farmers will offer observations.

I find a heat pad essential.

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I clone ok..

First...soak the rockwool for 24 hours in water that is ph'd to the low 5's...they say on the package 5.5....but shoot for runoff of 5.5-5.8. My tap water is 20 ppm and 6.3 ph...so I know how to get it to where I need it. You may have to play around to get your runoff correct. Its ok....just keep dropping/raising the ph of your water until you get there.

Make the cutting about 5-6 inches long, cut the stem with a new clean razor at a 45 degree angle. Remove with a pair of scissors all the leaf set except the top 2 or 3. Cut the tips off the fan leaves that are left...about halfway. Drop it into a jar of distilled or filtered water that is ph'd to 5.6ish. I like to leave them there 24 hours.

Ok you got a jar full of cuttings. And some rockwool that is wet.

There are many rooting products. I use a blue powder that is IBA. (indole butrylic acid (sp?) Its just what they had. Hormex is good, but its a liquid dip. I like powders and gels. Then theres the high dollar stuff. I have gone both routes...IBA is good and cheap.

Assuming you have a store bought tray and humidity dome for your rockwool...

I like to roll the cuttings in the powder about 2 inches up from the cut and stick them in the rockwool. I usually dont take a stick and open the holes in the rockwool like alot of cats do. After the 24 hour soak its usually soft enough for the cutting to slide right in.

Repeat 50 times. I like the 2x2 cubes.

Ok ...mist them off with plain water and cover them with the dome. Leave all the vents closed for 24 hours and then open them up about 30% daily...for 3 days until they are wide open on day 4. During this 4 days it is important to take the dome off several times each day to allow fresh air in/bad air out...."burp them" several times daily.

Day 3...foliar with (per gal) 1 oz good liquid kelp, quality humic acid.

Day 4 soak rockwool with water ph'd the same as the water you brought the ph of the rockwool down with.

Day 6 same foliar

Day 7 same rockwool soak.

Day 8-10 Roots

I just did this the other day for fun...I was using it to mark a tray and it got roots.

Leaf cutting 002

orbad

orbad

Post up a picture of your plant and I'll bet farmers will offer observations.

I find a heat pad essential.
I thought I did too until I unplugged it the other day. I dunno though. We'll see if the ones that never got heat will root.

Darth Fader

Darth Fader

That's pretty cool. What happens if you plant that leaf w/ no growth tips? How does it grow?

Get yourself some Rootone (IBA) powder from the hardwre store. $4. Beats the hell out of $25 Clonex.

You want your mother plant well hydrated when you take cuts. Take cuts 1/2"-1" below a node. You're going to strip that bottom node in a bit, so you want 1 or 2 leaf sets left above it. You can avoid all wilting by taking your cuts and putting them in solution/water to soak for a while. Let 'em them get thoroughly hydrated. I do 30 min min. up to days (yes days). Don't woryy, as long as they're soaking they absolutely won't wilt.. 30-60 min works fine though. Once you've hydrated your cuts, take them out and strip off that bottom node. Carefully scrape away the skin & do a bit of scar-ifying on the stem. You can watch a youtube vid if you're not familiar w/ this. Then I recut the stem at a 45 degree angle & dip into the IBA powder before placing the stem into rockwool or whatever you're using. I only soak the cubes for 15-30 min and I use a base nutes diluted to about 200 ppm plus 12 drops Roots Excelurator (per gal). I cut the large fan leaves and put it in the tray under the dome. I don't spray or mist the cuts, I only get my fingers wet a couple times and flick the extra drops onto the underside of the lid. Here's the secret: Wait (approx 4 days) until the cubes are getting dry before re-wetting. Give them some air everyday and it helps to lift them up so they get air underneath the rockwool as well.

Photo 3

Mississip Hip

Mississip Hip

I dunno....lol....I stuck it in a pot.

Here is one way to get heat to the root zone without the added cost and pain in the ass of one more fucking thing in the grow room.

Clone shelf 001

nattydreadz

nattydreadz

THANK you all for stoppin' by and thanks for the help. I'm having trouble uploading the pics, hopefully i'll figure it out... haha just smoked some kush so I'll try again shortly..

Farma 005

Latest posts

Top Bottom