Clone Only Strains - Is it Really "Only"?

• Thread starter Pandaman
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
P

Pandaman

Me <--- Noob.

That said, I'd like to ask a few questions to the Seniors here who could give me a detailed but "Dummed Down" answer.

Again... Me <--- Noob.

I currently have a grow going in a GrowLab 120 and two of the 10 strains growing are (from what I understand) "Clone-Only". They are sour Kush and Madman.

I am trying to grow as many different varieties as possible so that I may have a very diverse Stash Box filled with good bud... Never know what I might want to smoke from one day to the other, you know?

So my questions are these:

1. Can I take a Clone and force it to become Hermaphrodite so that it will give me male pollen?

2. Will a Hermaphrodite pollinate itself and/or produce seeds that will not all result in Hermaphrodite plants when the seeds are matured?

I am an indoor grower and am limited for space, but I can afford the space for a few Grow Tents. I just do not have the room to grow out 50 plants to experiment with Geno to get the desired Pheno... Or the other way around?!?

I have read articles and posts concerning Dominate and Regressive Traits and Back Crossing.. Etc.. I've only read these articles 10 or 15 times which means that I only understand about 10% of it... lol. Me <--- Head Hurts!

Are there male plants that have mostly recessive traits that I can breed with to retain the "Pureness" of the strain I want to keep?

What do you think?

Is Clone-Only REALLY Clone-Only?

:icon_dizzy::icon_dizzy::icon_dizzy:

R

Rolln J

usually clone only means clone only and hermies can make hermies - and you might not know til its too late and all your crop is seeded as bananas are way harder to spot then balls and it only takes 1.

why not just clone all your plants before you flower them and label them really well...

designate each plant you clone from with a letter and then each clone from that plant with a number a1, a2 - b1, b2 and so on

keep notes on all your plants and then after your done and have smoked them you can pick the clones from the specific plants you like the best based on vigor, weight, smell flavor and high.

you dont need to have moms just a small tent for clones and to veg them til you flowering area has room....

P

Pandaman

Hmmmmm... That is doable... Thanks Rollin J. Too bad about Clone Only.

I'm not a bud snob but a lot of the shit I've smoked just doesn't seem to be the right one for me or only has one or two of the characteristics I want. Still on the search for the Holy Grail! Although it IS fun as hell searching for it!

Rollin, can I use a tent that isn't decked out with expensive gear? Can I keep a low light on the clones so that they don't get out of control? Kinda worried that Vege/Vault will get very crowded, very soon.

Maybe if I keep them in very small pots it will stunt their growth and then I could just take a clone of that clone and grow it out that way... Or would that just create a crap plant because of the stunted and poorly treated mother?

Sorry for all the noob questions and thanks for all the help!

:smiley_joint:

R

Rolln J

yep no problem - a couple fluorescent fixtures (reg ones) and maybe a 150-400 watt halide if you want to get crazy - but I have seen clones and stage 1 veg done very well w/ just fluorescent...

P

Pandaman

Thanks Rollin! Great stuff! Good to know that I can keep the clone-only strains that I do not want to grow at the time, without having to sacrifice a lot of space.

Should get together with my friends and start a group clone tent so that any of us can just clip a clone if we want to grow it out.

Fuck I'm addicted!

To Growing that is!

I haven't even harvested my first grow yet!

Thanks and Peace

:fixed:

T

Time

usually clone only means clone only and hermies can make hermies -

I disagree.

A clone only is a particular pheno that someone liked enough to keep around.

If I cross Strain A x Strain B, then pop 20 beans, find one killer pheno and take clones from it, throw away all the beans and other plants.... clone only.

T

Time

:damnhippie::damnhippie::damnhippie::damnhippie::damnhippie:

P

Pandaman

So you think that I would NOT be able to force a Clone-Only to be herme? The only reason that I ask is that I wanted to get beans from my plant without diluting the original Geno.

Force Herme.
Plants beans from herme.
Get at least one male out the hermies.
Back Cross it to original Clone-Only Female.
Save the beans for years.

Is this do-able?

Or would I have to plant 100 seeds to find the "1" that will turn out male? Just don't have space/resources for that large of a grow...

B

bicycle racer

you could make s-1 seeds using sts or homemade ionized silver it works if done right.

xX Kid Twist Xx

xX Kid Twist Xx

Premium Member
Supporter
if you take a female and force it to reverse, it still only has female chromosome so all your seeds will be female, this is how they make fem seeds. peopel say they find male seed like 1 in 1000 who knows. my guess is its just a realy prnounced male hermi.

markscastle

markscastle

Well-Known Farmer
Best bet would be to find a like strain male and cross it to the clone only mom.Back cross it taking only males and keep back crossing out the genetics from the male line until you have nearly !00% genetics of the clone mother plant.Could take years and even then a pheno type of the male influence could pop up once in a while.

P

Pandaman

Thanks markscastle. Unfortunately, for me, that's just good knowledge to keep for years later. I just don't have the resources to do that kinda thing. Especially since I'm still on that elusive search for My Favorite strains. Good stuff though!

16.5 hour work day yesterday...
Roommate tossed me a gram of Jack Herer...
Smoked 1/4 of it....
10 minutes go by...

BOOM!
FUCK!
<<<Somehow I was transported to the middle of the ocean lying down on a small raft as the waves rolled up and down>>>

What a great high!

Wish that plant was in my tent!

fractal

fractal

This shit is making me cringe. Please resist the urge to create hermaphrodite plants and breed with them. Don't piss in the gene pool basically.

A suggestion stick with 3 or 4 varieities at most, with each different plant in the canopy your yield takes a huge dive.

Short answer, SELECTION from quality seed is the key to great clone-only plants. Not forced inbreeding.

I agree with you on the jack herer it is pretty amazing. Grows like a vine usually so really watch out for that one it will get out of control.

P

Pandaman

Ya, I hear ya fractal, I don't want to mess with the strain if it changes it's geno. I just wanted to know for sure that if there was any way to preserve a strain for years that I didn't have to keep the physical plant alive. I'm limited with space so I have to know what I want to keep/save and what needs to be growing on a regular basis.

As far as number of strains in a single flowering environment... lol! Down goes yield for me! Of the 12 plants I have, 10 different strains are in the grow tent!

You say that yield will suffer, I can live with that. But I can't live with quality suffering... Will it?

Also, in terms of avg yield for an educated noob with decent gear and nutes, what kinda Ball-Park am I looking at for a harvest? I'm hoping for 1gram/watt. But I can live with 1/2 gram/watt as long as quality does not degrade...

GrowLab 120
FoxFarm Soil and Nutes
1000 MH Vege then 1000 HPS Flower
Little LST and Topping

Thanks and Peace

fractal

fractal

Ok, I would say that with basically each plant in your grow a seperate variety you will only yield 2/3 of what you would yield in a monocrop. Total guesstimate. But for a great yield it is absolutely essential that you have a canopy of buds that is uniform. Only by monocropping can you really get a uniform and completely densely budded canopy. 1/2 gram per watt is probably doable with a mix of different plants but you will have to work at it, training the sativas down and pruning up the indicas to minimize popcorn buds. If you could hit 1 gram per watt with every plant being different I would give you my highest respect.

From what I have seen it is really a choice of variety or more weight of one variety.

P

Pandaman

Thanks man, that's sound advice. My roommate and I are on opposite schedules right now so there is always someone around to tend to the plants :)

Thanks and peace

:icon_animal26:

T

TheFlorist

With space being such a big issue. You and your friends would only want to keep so many moms at a time. Have you tried LST? (low stress testings aka lesser stress testing). Tieing down branches at a young age, keeping very short and bushy mothers. They will have many heads and you will be able to pull a large number of clones from a plant that takes up very little space.

P

Pandaman

Actually I've been reading up a lot on LST and it sounds like a great idea to use. I have a couple pure Sativas that will definitely need to be stunted just so that they don't get too tall and get burned.

I mean, after harvest (which will last for 6 weeks due to the different strains) we are only going to keep the best of what we like anyway. lol! Gonna have A LOT of pot in our stash box of these strains so it's not like we are going to want to clip a shit load of clones right away and start growing them out.

But it's definitely a great way to keep the strains alive and healthy but at the same time, small and space efficient :).

Thanks Florist

http://img41.invalid.com/img41/1949/dsc04466h.jpg

:rastadancing:

Top Bottom