Clone problems

• Thread starter BostonFisher
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
B

BostonFisher

Having problems cloning in a tent. The leaves turn yellow then brown starting at the bottom. Has happened a few times. I'm taking cuttings from bottom branches and putting them in starter pods with root hormone gel. Then into a humidity dome with a fluorescent light over the dome on 18hrs. Keeping pods wet and spritzing with water once or twice a day. About a week into it the plants have started to show this problem. Ive tried moving to soil at one and three weeks. Same issues for the ones moved at one and three. Standard organic potting mix and still under the T5 fluorescent light at 18. No nutes added. Some have rebounded others have just died. Any ideas on how to do this better?
Clone problems
Clone problems 2
Clone problems 3

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

Having problems cloning in a tent. The leaves turn yellow then brown starting at the bottom. Has happened a few times. I'm taking cuttings from bottom branches and putting them in starter pods with root hormone gel. Then into a humidity dome with a fluorescent light over the dome on 18hrs. Keeping pods wet and spritzing with water once or twice a day. About a week into it the plants have started to show this problem. Ive tried moving to soil at one and three weeks. Same issues for the ones moved at one and three. Standard organic potting mix and still under the T5 fluorescent light at 18. No nutes added. Some have rebounded others have just died. Any ideas on how to do this better?
View attachment 897078View attachment 897079View attachment 897080
are these rooted clones?or are you just sticking them in soil hope for the best?,what i do ,i have a old maxwell house coffe container,right under the rim ,i drilled 2 1/4 in holes,i run 2 air tube with stones in it,hold down with a fishing weight,air pump 20 bucks at wally world,fill the container with ro water,in the lid i cut out a small hole ,4 of them,i then have some of the pipe wrap you use for winter on your water spickets,cut small piece and put clone in it ,put threw hole in lid,keep all of the clones even inside the lid,once you have them in ,you want the water to about 3/4 in into the water,turn on bubbler and in about 7 to 10 days you have roots,cheap easy effective,once they have fishbone roots ,just lightly squezze the wrap and pull them right out of cloner and then transplant into dirt

B

BostonFisher

are these rooted clones?or are you just sticking them in soil hope for the best?,what i do ,i have a old maxwell house coffe container,right under the rim ,i drilled 2 1/4 in holes,i run 2 air tube with stones in it,hold down with a fishing weight,air pump 20 bucks at wally world,fill the container with ro water,in the lid i cut out a small hole ,4 of them,i then have some of the pipe wrap you use for winter on your water spickets,cut small piece and put clone in it ,put threw hole in lid,keep all of the clones even inside the lid,once you have them in ,you want the water to about 3/4 in into the water,turn on bubbler and in about 7 to 10 days you have roots,cheap easy effective,once they have fishbone roots ,just lightly squezze the wrap and pull them right out of cloner and then transplant into dirt
Thank you for the advice. In some cases I had roots poking out of the starter pods. this last time I moved them after one week because the leaves were yellowing and I wanted to see if getting them into soil and out of the dome helped - it hasn't. Do your clones lower leaves turn yellow?

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Dirtbag

Dirtbag

Supporter
Stop misting them. Humidity is good, moisture is bad. It will promote mildew and fungus and prevent the plant from rooting properly, if it's getting plenty of water through the leaves there is less demand to make roots. Also try peat pucks or rapid rooters, they work much better.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thank you for the advice. In some cases I had roots poking out of the starter pods. this last time I moved them after one week because the leaves were yellowing and I wanted to see if getting them into soil and out of the dome helped - it hasn't. Do your clones lower leaves turn yellow?
You should trim some of those bottom branches off when you take the cutting, you want to leave mainly the top few leaf sets, take a look at some clones that other people are doing to get a better idea, also I had better luck with dry cloning powder when I was in root riots or rapid rooters, don't know if it really matters but that was my experience

oldskol4evr

oldskol4evr

some times whole clone will look like its dead,but not,i cut all the leaves to half and then clone,yellowing is normal until they get roots and take hold of media,they humidity in the dome is key to get them rooting better,it just easier and faster the way i mentioned,no dome,the air bubbles splash the stem and roots grow from it

B

BostonFisher

Thanks I'm using rapid rooter pods. Good to hear the yellow leaves are normal.

cemchris

cemchris

Supporter
heat mats are great as the keep the humidity up towards max from the moisture in the medium and you don't have to mist/spray them. It's a win win.

Beachwalker

Beachwalker

Thanks I'm using rapid rooter pods. Good to hear the yellow leaves are normal.
Yellow leaves are not normal, occasional minor yellowing occurs just as they are rooting on occasion, but it's not normal. As I said above maybe you might consider searching clone pics to get an idea. good luck:

Latest posts

Top Bottom