Cloner Slime Fix?

• Thread starter Kdub
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Kdub

Kdub

I have read many of the other posts on this topic but I need further input. I have a 144 site cloner with many rooted cuts. Just today the roots are covered with thick slime. Many of the clones are my only copies as I am 4 weeks into flower. The clone room is new and the temps were being very hard to control. Temps here are zero degrees one day and 40 degrees a few days later. I have since resolved the issue but am losing my genetics. Any thoughts on saving rooted clones covered in slime? Thanks in advance,

Kdub

Kdub

Thansk for the reply/ They are still in the cloner for a few more days until I finished my new room. They had just rooted. Aero cloner so not over saturated. 10 day old water but it is the first time I've used well water. I thought it would be fine.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I have read many of the other posts on this topic but I need further input. I have a 144 site cloner with many rooted cuts. Just today the roots are covered with thick slime. Many of the clones are my only copies as I am 4 weeks into flower. The clone room is new and the temps were being very hard to control. Temps here are zero degrees one day and 40 degrees a few days later. I have since resolved the issue but am losing my genetics. Any thoughts on saving rooted clones covered in slime? Thanks in advance,
I have yet to get past it, and the more Cl and Cl concoctions I use, the stronger the slime gets. I've used isopropyl, Physan 20, boiling water, household bleach, pool shock, H2O2... um... PAA (paracetic acid, aka PAA, another form of peroxide used in food handling)... what else? I haven't even thought about UV sterilization because it's impossible to sterilize all areas of the (homemade) cloner.

I've had extensive discussions with one MGRox on this subject, he dug up some disturbing papers, one or two of which that showed why I was observing what I was when I watched the slime (likely a cyanobacteria) GROW as I added more and more pool shock. The ONE thing I haven't tried is antibiotics. If you wish to try that, go broad spectrum (or dose with antibiotics that hit *both* gram positive and gram negative bacteria).

OR, you could do what I've done. I'm back to Solo cups and perlite, because it's damn near fail-safe.

Hold on, did I tag MG? No, let me tag him. I've gotta say this cat can lay some HEADY information on you, so be prepared to do a lotta Googlin' should you decide to really take this on.

@MGRox -- The Dreaded Slime hits again! I don't have time to go through all our messages again to find zee paperz.

Kdub

Kdub

All I wanna do is save my genetics. Forget about the number of clones. What antibiotic would you lean towards. I just picked up some Dutch Master root conditioner, Referenced by Medusa. Gonna hit em hard with that. I haven't used clear rez. I will though if you think it may help. The well works fine for growing rooted plants but I haven't had it tested.

We Solidarity

We Solidarity

well water in the cloner, ouch.

ALWAYS use clean water in your cloner - mine is out of the tap with roughly 1.5 ppm chlorine.

And always remember to sterilize your cloner - I run mine with almost boiling water (I turn my water heater to max) then run it again overnight with a 1:10 bleach ratio. New plugs every time, and I also soak the manifold and sprayers in boiling water as well.

If your plants have roots you can transplant them - If you don't already have it get OG Biowar root pack and use that in your transplant to help combat the slime. I've treated for slime at transplant on still healthy plants by giving a quick soak in hydrogen peroxide once out of the cloner, I can't remember the ratio I used maybe @Seamaiden can help!

I never, EVER use aerocloners in new or unregulated environments, you'd be much better off switching to domes and root riots/rockwool if you can't control your temps and/or water quality.

Timmyahcomeon

Timmyahcomeon

I always soak the unit, in bleach and water and run the pump at least an hour, soak the collars in a bowl of bleach water. Then fill rez half tap water
IMG 20160109 173102751 HDR
IMG 20160118 163501409
half ro water, always use clear rez to keep sterile. I've used my collars about 10 times now no problems

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
All I wanna do is save my genetics. Forget about the number of clones. What antibiotic would you lean towards. I just picked up some Dutch Master root conditioner, Referenced by Medusa. Gonna hit em hard with that. I haven't used clear rez. I will though if you think it may help. The well works fine for growing rooted plants but I haven't had it tested.
I have no idea if it'll help. I'd get as many cuts into perlite as possible.

As for antibiotic, I'd hit an aquarium shop, look for broad spectrum, IIRC triple sulfa may be a good one for this.

My aerocloner is a homemade deal, using a plastic bin, an aquarium pump and PVC fittings and sprayers. I bought it from someone else several years ago, used it a few times just fine, then the slime started to hit and it gets worse every time I try. So, perhaps the issue is the plastic being used, or the issue is one of not getting infected initially. But watching the slime GROW on chlorine is a real bummer.

MGRox

MGRox

Sorry to be so late here.

+1 for what has been suggested so far!!!

Sterility in this type of cloner is key. Never use well tap water. Tap is only valid if it contains chlorine (I.e. city).
+1 as well for replacement of plugs as they harbor nasties. When / IF I re-use them; I wash them in soapy water / dry / then fry the crap outta them in the microwave (FU bacteria). It's amazing how much moisture is still in a "dry" plug.

For "In situ" treatment. I have tested (with bare root type aero cloners) using Chlorine dioxide with great success. Basically dose your res to 3-4 ppm of Chlorine dioxide with the pump OFF. Let the solution mix (tabs dissolve); then run the pump for 15 minutes. Next dump out water and wash unit with soap (nothing else). Finally put new R/o water and restart cloner. Optional is to add 1ppm of chlorine dioxide after cleaning.

Guess I could upload an example. This pic does not have largely apparent slime; however rooting on all cuts was retarded / stopped. The unit had been sterilized and cleaned about a week prior. All cuts in this test were in quarantine and had been "cuts" for greater than 4 weeks (i.e. all had issues).

First pic is before treatment. Not super clear but only here to reference growth comparison.
Aero pre Cl close

Aero Post Cl close

The second pic is 24 hrs after chlorine dioxide treatment. Obviously there is growth, which is good; though note the roots in the circled area. That's about as clean as a root can possibly be.

stanklungs

stanklungs

I'm right there with you @shemshemet I hate cloner. Ive always had great results with jiffy cubes.

When you soak your cubes use azos and a simple sugar product. Carbo load, sugar daddy etc.

With your cuttings let them soak 24 hours in ro so they can swell up. Then before you put them in cubes dip them in a solution 1 part azos to 2 parts water for 30sec. Add a little hormone to the cutting after its dip. Clonex is tried and true. Then into cubes and into a humidity dome. Make sure you have a heat mat under the dome.

I like to mist with fulvic once or twice. In about 5 days add the clonex seedling and clone start nutrient and boom happy roots. You can also use fish and kelp if you want to keep it organic.
Neptune's Harvest fish works best I found.

I've kept plants alive and happy that are older than I am and have been passed down. Even brought plants back from the dead.

The plants are definitely tired but its still nice to keep them around.

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
But! The thing about the cloners, what almost got me into trouble with the po-po, is that when they're clean and working well you can push out TONS of bomb-ass clones, all ready for potting immediately.

That's what I miss about my cloner. I'd let the roots get long enough to hit the bottom of their intended pots, pot 'em up and the growth was explosive, never missed a beat.

stanklungs

stanklungs

Can't argue results. Also I guess if your a hydro grower jiffy cubes probably aren't the best option.

Though thinking about the slime check out your local pet store. They have products to prevent slime and algae in fish tanks.
Which are plant and animal safe for marine life.
Youll be surprised if you haven't been to pet store in a while they carry a lot of growing stuff. Airstone, pumps, lights etc. PetCo even carries 40w led 48inch veg light that work great.

40BRIX

40BRIX

That looks like mucilage, a composition of sugars and proteins excreted by the growing roots. It will smother them after awhile. Probably the best way to prevent it is to have a higher volume pump and more water moving around the roots to keep them clean.

Kdub

Kdub

Thanks for all the replies and ideas everyone. I just got rid of those slimers and am now in the process of trying to get budded branches to root in a brand new turbo cloner. I've done it once but who knows if it will work this time. I didn't want to keep any of that slime around so I took em out. I figured they wouldn't grow. The reply from @Seamaiden@ to get em into perlite was hours too late. LOL, oh well. I'm gonna get the Chlorine Dioxide and try to save that cloner though. I actually have some of that in my camper I think. If anyone has any tips for rooting flowering branches I'm all ears. Thanks again,

Top Bottom