clones just sitting

• Thread starter putembk
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
putembk

putembk

Just took my first clones 10 days ago and they all look healthy and even show signs of new growth, but no roots. I think I have done everything right, water at 5.8, temp in the dome 78, dome covered but not dripping. WTF!! Am I expecting to much? I have heard some roots take as long as 30 days. I have the two strains going that I want and would like to keep them going so any clone masters please help.

budboy299

budboy299

did you use rooting hormone?
not essential but does sometimes make a difference with rooting times.

vonwolfen

vonwolfen

What is the domes humidity level? Is there some condensation on the dome sides? or is it awash with water? or dry?...Rooting gel/hormones? Have you grown cuttings before? Also 10 days is still a little soon. Although sometimes I have seen roots, not often...OG's can take a lot more time(assuming)...cut the fan leaves in half(or 1/3)? New growth sometimes means the plant is using its energy for leaves not roots...

B

bobman

I would probably take the doom off. 10 days is enough with the doom. If you take off the doom and they wilt just put it back on. If you take off the doom and they are ok then u should be all right. Just be patient you should see something soon. A good sign is if they start to yellow a little bit. Once I see a little yellowing I know it will not be long. You should see something in the next 4-7 days from the strong ones.

putembk

putembk

I used juicy roots. The dome is not dripping, however it has so much condensation on it it is hard to see the plants. Interesting thought on the new growth. How do I redirect the energy back to the roots? I also cut the fan leaves off by about 60%. I'm thinking it is to soon. Will keep posted. Thanks.

D

Dubwobble

Juicy Roots is horrible, I got a sample bottle at the grow show last year but it didn't work for me. Bad AN Product, at least back then when I tied it.

Use Clonex or Rootech.

BTW - Some plants will take longer than 10 days, if the cuttings still look fine just leave them alone.

C

CanadianClassic

What are you trying to root them in RapidRooters,Rockwell,perlite??

Goodluck with the ladies!!!

F

farmerjohn

Cloning method

As usual, you can get as many answers to a question, as there are responders. This appears to be a case like that. Here is my 2 cents, for what that is worth. I get good results with most strains using this process.

Cut branches with sharp scissors. (not too close to the main stem) Place all cuttings in a very mild solution of 1-3-1 type of nutrient mix & leave for 24 hours. (1/4 strength is what I use) Non sucking cuts should expose themselves during this step & wilt. Trim down cuttings to 3" to 4". (some prefer larger) Using a very sharp, sterilized razor blade or razor knife take off all vegetation @ the growth nodes that will end up in medium, very close to the stem, being careful not to cut into the stem. Cut all remaining leaves down to @ least half their original volume. Make a final cut about 1/4" to 1/2" below bottom growth node, at a 45 degree angle. (some make this cut under water) Gently scrape the most minute amount of material from stem around growth node using your sharpest blade. (Helps promote root growth) Dip in rooting solution, (I use Olivia's Cloning Gel) making sure to cover growth nodes. Gently place cutting into medium, which has been opened up with an object just slightly larger than the stem going in. (Don't bend the stem or scrape the cloning aid off of stem while doing this step) Gently compact medium around stem to eliminate air pockets, soak medium with the 1/4 strength solution you made & dome up the new ladies! (This may be all the liquid they will need during rooting)

If your atmosphere is 80% humidity or more, there is no need to mist leaves, as this is counter productive to root formation. Do mist wilted clones, when necessary. They may well recover & all cuttings will show some signs of wilting. The fastest rooters are the ones that wilt the least, I have found. I use peat pellets often, if for no other reason than I can see the roots as they emerge. Small white roots will easily penetrate the peat & show through. Usually this is within 7-14 days. @ the 1st sign of root growth, I remove the cutting from the dome. Keep it warm & out of direct light, @ this point. Indirect light is ok, even light in a grow room is fine. Not too strong @ 1st. Weaklings will tend to give up the ghost @ this point. Don't worry though, they would probably take forever to grow a sufficient root formation to begin vertical growth. Concentrate on the tough SOBs. They will have nice roots & begin vegging rapidly, once they have been transplanted & giving direct sun or lamp light. My process breaks down into two one week periods. 1st week is domed & the 2nd week is sans cover. I transplant on day 14, (not every cutting will follow this strict schedule, some may take longer) & introduce to direct light 48 hours later. I begin any vegging timetable, the day they go into direct light.

:sun2::character0180:

The Hippy

The Hippy

Thanks Farmer for taking the time to explain all that
some tips in there I didn't know

F

farmerjohn

Thanks to "The Hippy"

U R welcome "The Hippy".:damnhippie: I remember actually being a hippy in the late '60 & early '70s. Those were certainly halcyon days! Long stringy hair & bell bottoms with peace symbols & holes in them. Oh, & of course "free love"!:love0018: lol Listening to Atomic Rooster, Cactus, The Band, Jefferson Airplane & The Greatful Dead! The only differences now, 40 years later, is the hair is all gone, the hippy garb has been replaced with "go green" T-shirts & "free love" requires a condom & a blue pill! lol Phish seems the only music left that recalls the ghosts of "Filmore West".

My mission here is to be as helpful as possible, while culling as much information as I can from the vast resources available. I consider myself an alternative grower. That is to say, One who may or may not subscribe to the latest & greatest techniques. I want to speak for & to the farmers who may not have the resources to grow using AN products or the fanciest lighting & CO2 setups. Those methods are all well & good, but don't take into consideration those of us who can't or won't fall into lockstep with the latest trends in growing. Obviously, I don't have all the answers, far from it, but I do have experience that may well allow someone to not make a mistake, just because they don't have access or the means to acquire whatever is trendy @ the time. I preach total secrecy in growing. Hide it, grow it, tell no one about it! Even my participation here was a source of great anxiety to me. But this is the only place I speak out, so I hope I have chosen wisely. Like we say when we are waiting in anticipation of a harvest, "Time will tell".
:rasta2:

putembk

putembk

Thanks farmer for your input, you make people like me better. Even though I have been
enjoying bud since the 60's like you I suspect, I haven't started growing until recently. I love my new hobby and the information on sites like this have helped me more than you know. At this point everything I know I stole from someone else.

H

hemdigler

i have been getting about 8 out of 10 clones to take root with root tech cloning gel, jiffy cubes, the dome, humidity high, temp about 75, dome misted daily

F

farmerjohn

4get everything I said b4 lol

My dude just placed an order for 300 8" clones! lol August 1st delivery day. giggle My mind has been racing on how to get this done. Even with a clone tent that holds 200 cuttings, how do I deliver an extra hundred, 32 days from now?:confused0059:

The thing is empty right now, too! I just potted up 24 baby clones for a 3 strain SOG run of my own. The idea is 7 plants in 2 litre bottles, taped together an dedicated to a 400W hps. That is, after a burn to 6" under the 1000W MHs. Training to fill a 1 1/2 sq. ft. area will be the key. It's an experiment. I'll bet LowRyder would be perfect for this.

Back to the clone rush! I knew I had to get started, so while super cropping everything that is @ day 21, I took about 50 lower branches & threw them into peat pots. Here's the rub! I have 3 east facing windows in the house, so I chucked 'em all on the window sills, as is! They will sit there uncovered for 14 days & I will do it again. I'll bet 95% survive, too! Then filling up the clone tent by the end of the week, I can meet that deadline. Maybe. Still have to figure where all this material is going to come from & how to get that last 50 up to size in time. I'm chewin' on it!

The whole point is, ya gotta go to the opposite field when you are thrown a curve!:anim_44:

deacon1503

deacon1503

i use clonex, roots excelerator, and MagiCal ph'ed to 5.8 and in 10 days ive got lateral root growth that doesnt stop.

try adding a root stimulator.

F

farmerjohn

When you say add a root stimulator, do you mean a rooting hormone? Something with Indole-3-butyric acid as its active ingredient? Shultz "TakeRoot" & Miracle-Gro "FastRoot" are two examples.

H

hemdigler

take root

When you say add a root stimulator, do you mean a rooting hormone? Something with Indole-3-butyric acid as its active ingredient? Shultz "TakeRoot" & Miracle-Gro "FastRoot" are two examples.

if u are talking about the take root powder i personally haven't had as good of results as with root tech i get about 8/10 to take root every time. until someone hands me something that gives me 10/10 im sticking with that..

putembk

putembk

I had to sleep an extra hour this morning after reading your post john. That's allot of work. I get the feeling you are a little quicker than me. Any my clones have mostly rooted. I transplanted a few yesterday and will do the same today. After reading all advise I found I did most things right. But, picked up lots of little tricks I didn't know about. Thanks all!!

Top Bottom