Clones or seeds for outside

• Thread starter rayi
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
rayi

rayi

I run 72 medical plants outside in a fairly windy spot in spite of having a stockade fence. I saw some place that seeds were better but l also saw that clones were better. What do you cannabis gods and goddesses say

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

IMO Seeds are usually more vigorous and grow faster, larger, easier. But you have to weed out the runts, males (with regs), and the boring phenotypes.

Clones let you guaranteea particular genetic but they are more likely to have pathogens like mildews, viruses and viroids.

So it depends on your goals and preference, but my vote is seeds.

Frankster

Frankster

Never trust a doctor who's plants have died.
Supporter
Yea, I agree with vigor, you want a strain that's going to stand up to the elements and conditions it has to contend with, sativa's are alright in hot area's, but I would go with indica's for the most durable plants, resistent to pests, molds rain, wet, extreme and/or cooler conditions.

I think a "tried and true outdoor strains" are the way to go. At least, that's where I would start, and then grow out from there, after creating a solid foundation of what your actually contending with, and dealing with unknown conditions.

rayi

rayi

Forgot to say I'm in 60 gallon fabric pots. If that matters

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

seeds and clones grows differently - even, clones from younger motherplants grows differently, to clones taken from the same motherplant but older.

another difference betw seeds and clones - symmetric young growth of seeds vs asymmetric young/early growth on clones - so, its manifolding seeded vs mainlining clones, etc.

probably my personal preference - if you got a choice, seed over clones. but in end, you'll get results either way.

Anthem

Anthem

seeds and clones grows differently - even, clones from younger motherplants grows differently, to clones taken from the same motherplant but older.

another difference betw seeds and clones - symmetric young growth of seeds vs asymmetric young/early growth on clones - so, its manifolding seeded vs mainlining clones, etc.

probably my personal preference - if you got a choice, seed over clones. but in end, you'll get results either way.
Where are you getting your information that a clone taken from a younger mother will grow differently to clones taken from a older motherplant?

tomatoesarecooltoo

tomatoesarecooltoo

If I had a source I trusted for clones I would grow more clones. I have learned my lesson buying clones from dispensaries 👎

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

Experience....

Younger plant grows symmetrical nodes. Older plants goes asymmetrical growth.

Capture symmetrical growthj

while clones from older plants are:

Capture asymmetric clones growth

another observation from experience - different root development betw seed and clones, seeds have stronger tap roots....

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

Experience....

Younger plant grows symmetrical nodes. Older plants goes asymmetrical growth.

View attachment 1041616

seeds and younger clones will be symmetrical, when they get older they change towards asymmetrical growth.....have a close look next time, grow or clone.

while clones from older plants are:

View attachment 1041615
None of what you are saying is factual. A clone of a plant rather a young plant or an old plant both have the exact same genetic makeup. Rather a young plant or an older plant. Secondly, node spacing changes as the plant matures.

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

None of what you are saying is factual. A clone of a plant rather a young plant or an old plant both have the exact same genetic makeup. Rather a young plant or an older plant. Secondly, node spacing changes as the plant matures.

yes, same genetics, but different node growth depending on younger or older motherplant from which the cutting is taken from.

this node spacing does change from that young vegetative growth of symmetrical node growth, to that asymmetrical node growth as the plant goes older. so, you could see if the clone was taken from a young or older plant.

some growers prefer to take cuttings from the lower growth, while others will take cuttings of the growing 'shoots' (tips) of the plant - probably this is preference, but there's some theory behind when to take cuttings or where to take the cuttings from the plant. in the end, each to their own, whatever works....

i took clones off a plant which was flowering - and these clones reacted differently to those clones which I took off the same motherplant earlier. these clones started to bud straight away under 18/6 on/off light cycle, while the clones from the same motherplant but when younger didn't react such. and i even took cuttings from small buds, and ofcourse these clones budded out first, before starting to revegetate.

i was trying to describe these differences between growing seeds vs clones, and clones off the same motherplant when the motherplant is in different growth phase herself...

Last edited:
Anthem

Anthem

yes, same genetics, but different node growth depending on younger or older motherplant from which the cutting is taken from.

this node spacing does change from that young vegetative growth of symmetrical node growth, to that asymmetrical node growth as the plant goes older. so, you could see if the clone was taken from a young or older plant.

some growers prefer to take cuttings from the lower growth, while others will take cuttings of the growing 'shoots' (tips) of the plant - probably this is preference, but there's some theory behind when to take cuttings or where to take the cuttings from the plant. in the end, each to their own, whatever works....
Hi. First grow here. I have 5 beautiful plants grown from bag seed this first grow. They are at 6 weeks. I have a ponderance for some more experienced growers out there. Wish I could send pics but camera is out of service right now, will try at a later date. The branches at the top of my plants have already started to grow asymmetrically, an indicater that the plant is entering the flowering stage according to J. Cervantes, in, "Marijuana Horticulture, Indoor/ Outdoor Bible. " I have the plants on an 18/6 light schedule. I don't really understand why they are entering flowering stage already. It will be 2 more weeks before I'm supposed to be able to take clones, my first time by the way, all advice here helpful, well read, but still nervous, lol. Do ya'll think I'll be able to use any of these plants as mothers? Thanks ya'll, this community has been priceless to me, you've all helped me in countless ways already, looking forward to some input.
There you have it Kampbe

Anthem

Anthem

you would not be able to tell if the plant came from an older or younger mother because by the time you are taking clones the plant has reached maturity. I guess if you wanted to take the top off of a plant that was like 5 nodes high you might see what you are talking about, but that is nonsense because what you would be doing is just killing the little seedling to get a clone. You experience does not hold water on this matter!!!

Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

you can take a cutting from topping, off a young plant. the method you described is the beginning of manifolding process. let it grow at least 5 nodes, then top at the 3rd node. then when the 2 offshoots grows bigger, top them. use the topped material as cuttings.... you don't kill this plant, you're shaping it.

OldManRiver

OldManRiver

I grow from seeds every year. I have not noticed a tap root longer than 10 inches, even on eight foot plants. I doubt there would be much difference.

Anthem

Anthem

you can take a cutting from topping, off a young plant. the method you described is the beginning of manifolding process. let it grow at least 5 nodes, then top at the 3rd node. then when the 2 offshoots grows bigger, top them. use the topped material as cuttings.... you don't kill this plant, you're shaping it.
you are all nonsense, what you are saying adds nothing to the OP post and you are just trying to substantial your first comment that does not hold water. Sure you can do some of these things but the OP asked about clones/seed and you come on here will young verse old moms and things are different. They are an exact genetic match and even if you listened to your own advise all you would end up in the end with is 2 exact the same plants.

Nbsdsailor

Nbsdsailor

Seeds get stronger roots with a taproot. Clones have more fibrous roots. I think I have pics, I'll look. I'm sure once plants are 8' tall, there isn't much difference, but if it gets windy while plants are young, seeds will hold better imo.

Screenshot 20201009 121044

Last edited:
Kampbe1l

Kampbe1l

the original question was whether seed over clones - it probably comes down to personal preferences.

yeah, the biggest point would be that with cuttings/clones you know what they would grow into. seeds is a little mystery as to what she will become, though you might know its strain and its traits.

dire wolf

dire wolf

IMO Seeds are usually more vigorous and grow faster, larger, easier. But you have to weed out the runts, males (with regs), and the boring phenotypes.

Clones let you guaranteea particular genetic but they are more likely to have pathogens like mildews, viruses and viroids.

So it depends on your goals and preference, but my vote is seeds.
What's a viroid ? And why are clones more likely to have them ?

Top Bottom