Clones or seeds?

• Thread starter caperfarmer902
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
C

caperfarmer902

hey guys,
iv been doing some reserch and its got me unsure of something,, right now i have 6 crystal plants from seed, 1 plant is 9 weeks and the other 5 are 5 weeks.. my question is, if i cut clones of all these plants inwhich i plan to at the end of the month, when i fill my hydro system and plant the rest outside, is the yeild from a clone way more then a seed grow, i have it in my mind, seed grows are for mom plants to get clones to get bud, clones are the way to go? are they?:worried

S

SLO Grown

Seeds are a more rigous and robust plant. Clones tend to be finicky. I always prefer seed plants over clones always....

E

edro51

From my experience, SEEDs. When I first started I figured out a mom-clone system. they were finicky, prone to ailements, hermied at any kind of stress. I have a jar full of the seeds from the hermied plants. Since then I have used the hermied seeds. So far, everyone of them has come up female. I have been doing this for three + years now, I'm old, so I should have enough to last. I have a small indoor grow, eight at a time.

edro

LBH

LBH

Seed. I'll grab cuts from someone if I forgot to order up and the perpetual is atg risk, but I'm pretty well stocked with genetics nowadays.

C

caperfarmer902

seeds eh, my last grow with seeds were horrible and i mean horrible, only 4 or 5 grams per plant, does anyone know the yeild per plant with a 400watt a/c digital light system, in a 8 plant hydro system with a scrog, <-- i want to use clones for that system, whts the yeild per plant, in a 3x3ft grow tent..
or i have 6 crystal plants from seed all in 10inch ports, and 2 domion republic plants, and soon a ak47 plants,

so my question is, if i want a nice ammount of yeild, either from clone or seed, with a scrog, in a 3x3ft grow tent with a luma 400 air cooled digital light system, with both mh and hps.. im unsure at this point no guys, i need answers, im growing for yeild, i honeslty smoke a quarter to a hafe o a day, nd need a nice amount of yeild..

i was going to cut over 60 to 80 clones at th end of the month, pick the best 8 fill my hydro system with the scrog, , and take the rest of the clones, im guessin about 50 or 60 clones and i have a spot in the wood where i can plant as many as i want without anyone finding them.. so now withthe replys above, im guessin im not going to get much yeild off these plants if there clones, what do you think.. its my only option i have no money to buy 50 seeds, it wont happpin, so what do you think the yeild per plant would be for clones in these enviroments....?

C

CHILKaT

Every seed is essentially a different plant, though they might have the same genetics, they can be quite different with unique qualities. Seeds give you variety within the strain. The reason to clone is to keep a particular plants qualities. Not every plant is worthy of keeping as a mother plant. Clones are not better producers, they don't yield more or get better from cloning. They are genetically the same as the plant you took the clone from. You should only keep strong, vigorous and healthy clones, otherwise you may find diminishing return from your clones.

Some strains are clone only so the only way to get them is starting with a clone.

C

caperfarmer902

so bascally your telling me, im not going to get much from my clones, even in a 8 plant DWC bubbler hydro system, under a 400watt scrog, vegging for 6 weeks and bloom for 9 weeks, with grow micro bloom, and outdoor about 40 to 50 plants outside that im going to use grow and bloom for outdoor plants.. with all these clones say 60 clones that are strong and useale, will it be worth my time for the yeild.. or the plants i have noe all 8 - 6 crystal and 2 domiion rupublic plants i should just stick to these and flower these plants with no scrog or hydro system, just soil.. what should i doo!!!! i had my mind set on hydro for my main stock, for my yeild for meds, and the other all outdoor

can i cut clones and do 6 weeks in a hydro system for veg and 9 for bloom inside, and take about 50 to 60 clones that have rooted and hardened off then plant them outside untill the end of october or when their ready also ill use grow and boom for outdoor plant clones.. will this make my yeild better for both indoor and outdoor?

C

CHILKaT

No, actually I didn't tell you that at all. Yield depends on many factors, plant genetics, lighting, method, grow medium, skill, etc. I just can't tell you what kind of yield you're going to get. I can't even imagine getting only 4-5 oz's per plant, something obviously failed, or a number of things went horribly wrong. My very first grow produced over a pound with only 4 plants in potting soil. I'm not a hydro grower, but hydro is usually faster and can have better yield. But you also need to consider the genetics of the plant you're growing, the seed stock it came from, etc. In the ground outside plants will/can yield far greater than indoor, and there is no reason to think clones wouldn't work outside or yield, of course they will, providing the environment is suitable.

You should be fine taking clones from the plants you have, putting 8 into a hydro grow if you know what you're doing, or at least have all the necessary equipment and have read up on how to grow hydroponically. So if you know what you're doing, you can easily get 400-500 gr from your 8 indoor setup. Outdoors, I'd expect 800-1000gr per plant. If you really don't know what the hell you're doing, then expect to do some things wrong, and you'll usually end up with less yield than someone who has their system, method, and knowledge dialed in.

If you're not taking your clones for another 30 days or so, the only thing I would be concerned about is if they would actually be rooted and ready to be transplanted outdoors before it is too late in the growing season.

C

caperfarmer902

your right, and i didnt mean it as prickish as is sounded, sorry but, this sounds really motivating there, the only thing thats holing me back from cutting the clones now is rapit rooters and i wanted better cloning gel, i only have a year old bottle of juicy roots ( by the way, think the gloneing jef, juicy roots will still work, or is it best to get better stuff?)..
but just thinking here i have about 30 to 40 rapit rooters, and about 30 to 40 rockwool cubes.. so i might go ahead and do this, but heres the thing, the rapit rooters never failed me and are only 1 month maby 2 months old.. the rockwool always 100% failed me, god dam things never worked and their over a year maby a year and a hafe old..
so i dont know on the success rate with that now.. but with the advise and knowdledge above here, i am really confident in this clone business, and am still going to go ahead with it..
below is a photo of the setup i have here and all the plants in it, all 6 plants i have, 1 plant is 9 weeks now, and the other 5 are 6 to 7 weeks old now, and i am going to be useing all these plants for cloneing purposes, my plan like i stated above, i want to cut about 60 to 80 clones as much as i can, this way even if something goes wrong ill have many of plants to yeild and harvest from.. thanks for the advice everyone, and aspecialy chilkat, you opened my eyes on this, i was unsure of clones yeild and seed yeild, but yea that really helped, thank you!!!
oh yea, and i have a tester clone i cut growing in the tent, i wanted to try a rapid rooter with a clone with the juicy roots to try to see everythings going to work out for the best for me, so far its been 4 or 5 days since i cut it.. and its doing great one leaf turned upside down, but im probley going to end up cutting it off when its start to die or turn yelllow.. but yea heres some photos of the plants thats going to supply all my clones for me, tell me what you think?

AMBA0041
AMBA0042
AMBA0051
AMBA0053
AMBA0050
AMBA0054
AMBA0057
AMBA0059
AMBA0061
AMBA0044
C

CHILKaT

The plants look great, they've come along nicely in the past two weeks. You should wait for what works for you for cloning as there would be no sense taking clones now if you don't think they'll make it. I think you'll do fine, you need to relax a little and just take it as it comes. You could start a grow journal, let people follow along with your grow and help out with any questions or problems that might crop up. Don't stress, you don't want to give those girls all those stressful vibes.

C

caperfarmer902

your right, your right, nd yes i do have a grow journal already in the grow diarys.. thank you again chillkat, you really helped!!

Top Bottom