Clones - When do you give up??

• Thread starter Jimson
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
S

SkyHi

Shit i still have like 10 CVK's sitting in the hum dome ---2 weeks with no roots and i even pulled them out to look i saw some root bumps so i put them back in the dome-----its not that i havent given up but more like im too lazy to start over

D

DoubleDub

This sounds interesting........GH Grow, Micro, and Bloom?

yes sir

i even pulled them out to look i saw some root bumps so i put them back in the dome

bumps are good. that usually means it worked. you should have roots in 4-7 days.

Mushy goo stems are bad and usually means you failed.

I know everyone brags at how quick they get roots but 4-7 days is not always the case. I've had stubborn fu*kers take 3-4 weeks. I still haven't pinpointed what exactly causes the clone to "bump" and not root but i think it's because it doesn't need to.

My theory is that the clone is getting all the water it needs through those little bumps so theres no need for more roots. Perhaps adding another floro and letting the cube dry out slightly will make the stubborn guys pop out roots quicker.

I've also been thinking about how tightly the clone sits in its hole. In a really tight hole (haha no pun intended) the water is right up against the stem why would it need to root? In a slightly looser hole theres more air and less direct water contact so maybe the roots need to venture out to get what they need?

P

PureSugar

yeah im not knocking it in anyway puresugar. you got it nailed and if it works it works. 1 plus to cubes is they are wicked easy to transplant like you said about the sog

KT- I didn't think you were knocking me... and I'm not one to get bent out of shape if someone does either. I prefer honesty. ...and to be honest I was extremely "medicated" when I typed that up last night and couldn't believe how long it ended up being. It takes longer to read it than do it. lol

At what temps would I need a heating mat ?

Cap- Just for you I took temp reading of my cubes in the dome with my laser thermometer and depending where in the tray they were I got readings from 78.5F-80.5F (25.5C - 27C) I don't have an air thermometer in that room but the walls were giving readings averaging 85F (29.5C)

C

CAPO

Wow Pure that is warm! I think temps are my Main problem, cause cloning should be the easy part.lol

J

Jimson

Thanks folks. I am liking the sound of warming up the reservoir - that make good sense.

However, this Thursday I will go back and cut some replacements and put them in Rapid Rooters - seeds or clones they generally do the job for me. I will use my seedling heat mat this time - takes some experimenting because it's a cheapie and puts out too much heat - 86-90 f.

Thanks again - I feel a little better.

R

rdbrizz

Hell yes Ty famers just cut the clones now i'm out to get a warmer for the water:evilgrin0031:

P

PureSugar

I want to make it clear that the temps I'm refering to are for clones that are being rooted in a growing medium. I'm old skool I've not only never used a bubble cloner, I've never seen one in person. I don't know but I don't think 80F water sounds like a good idea. Maybe one of the bubbler guys can help out here.

Another thing I should mention I pull the clones out and pot them as soon as roots show. The roots vigor on clones if left in the hot humid environment begin to deteriorate after a few days. They change from thick and fuzzy to long and smooth.

Jimson- Just put a few towels over the heating pad

Thanks folks. I am liking the sound of warming up the reservoir - that make good sense.

However, this Thursday I will go back and cut some replacements and put them in Rapid Rooters - seeds or clones they generally do the job for me. I will use my seedling heat mat this time - takes some experimenting because it's a cheapie and puts out too much heat - 86-90 f.

Thanks again - I feel a little better.

Hell yes Ty famers just cut the clones now i'm out to get a warmer for the water:evilgrin0031:

C

captainkip

i think u might be trying to hard for me any clones that are really dark green take longer to root becus of to much N i'd try to clone without nutes i dont use any and almost for 100% on clones so far takes me 1-2 and half weeks with clones with to much N

J

Jimson

Update: Back to cloning in media.

Howdy Farmers!

Just thought I would follow up especially for those who contributed their experience.

Rapid rooters worked just fine - a single loss due to a weblike fungus that occurs when you don't give the tray some air occasionally.

I have trouble keeping rock-wool properly moist, but Peat pots are working great - my last two rounds I haven't used any cloning compound or nutes. Also, I've started transplanting to cups as soon as I see 2 roots out the bottom.

Thanks again. BCNU :fixed:

D

Dubwobble

Make sure everything is STERILE.

Always use a fresh razor blade. Always put your freshly cut clones in a cup of R/O or distilled water. Wipe your cutting board down with 99% alcohol. Wipe your scissor with alcohol.

Cut clones at a 45degree angle, make sure it is a perfectly sliced cut.

Sterilize your cloning machine with soap and water and a little bleach. Use a heating mat underneath to keep the water around 75 degrees.

Only use good, healthy moms.

And you totally have to make sure they are in the neopreen inserts or rockwool or rapi rooters REALLY TIGHT. Not what is stated above. If the clones aren't held tightly they will rot.

1ml Roots Excelurator per gallon of R/O water is all I use to root clones. Clonex for my rooting gel. After roots show a tiny bit I add 2.5ml GH Micro, 2.5 Grow, 2.5 Bloom as well as 15ml. of Rhizotonic to a gallon of water to feed the roots and green up rooted clones.

I don't use a cloning machine, I use the 98 cube rockwool slabs.

I have used cloning machines, they work well. But I need the roots in media rather than just pure hanging roots.

If roots don't show in 4 weeks I throw them out. It usually takes 10 days - 3 weeks for all of mine to show nice long white roots.

Good luck!

N

nog

tepmerature of water needs to be higher, 77 - 78, no nutes in water just phos acid to get ph to 5.6 the humidity of the room is irellevant, keep stem just at water level, and make sure you have plenty of bubbles.

X

Xceptional

my NL's take like a month. if they are soft they are probably not going to make it. if you have no other option then keep em going. what do you mean your ec went from .4 to .8 what are you putting in the water you dont need anything in there (hell i dont even watch ph most the time). some clones will have 1' of big roots in 8 days i have and others take a month it just depends.

K

KrazyDan

bring the PH to 6.2 and CLEAN the system...add 1/4 strength GH 3 part nutes and some superthrive..i run my ezcloner for 2 months without rez change and i swear we could clone a matchstick.
KD

K

KrazyDan

I have seen this advice since the beginning of my growing career....i get 90% or better using rusty old sissiors... idont know why?
KD

D

dogless

Premium Member
Supporter
The most important part of cloning is when to cut off plant. What works for me is :
1. wait until about an hour before lights in grow room cycle off to take cuttings
2. water mother plants with or without nutrients
3. wait 20 minutes after watering to take cuts
4. use methods previously listed on this thread from respected knowledgeable farmers on what to do next with your cuts

V

vertstyle

I've found that once they go mushy they will not root. I've left some a month after going soft and they look alright but never root.

Top Bottom