Cloning advice wanted and needed

• Thread starter Thanos
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
T

Thanos

Hey guys, I’m looking for advice on cloning.
I have a few questions.

1) When making the clones, is it best to trim an inch off the sides also? What I’ve been doing is making the angle cut, and using a scalpel to shave it past the 1st layer of skin (showing the lighter green inside) is that too much? Should I be shaving it at all?

2) with the domes, how long should I keep the vents 100% shut, what day should I open the vents 50% of the way and what day should I 100% open vents? After that what day should I remove the dome off completely? (Is any of that unnecessary?)

(I grow in rockwool)

Thank you in advance for any and all answers

HerbalEdu

HerbalEdu

you don't necessarely need to shave past the 1st layer of skin ...

i don't even use a dome ... proper watering pratice to keep the medium moist enough the first few days will do the job along side reducing the available leaves surface for less transpiration

Grapefruitroop

Grapefruitroop

Agree with edu
I clone in wool too....
I was used to peel the tip of the cutted branch but i stopped dooin it and i got actually much better results as far as speed and success rate
i also prefer to control the room climate much more than try to create a micro climate with a dome....
if you can, ditch it..
rockwool is awesome to work with IME
DSCN1474

K

Kamisama

Depends from amount of clones u want but go for fogponic. U can use the simple head atomizer in plastic box with DC fan and timer second relay. (dont let it run without pauses otherwise it ll heat water). The best technique and tool as they have 3-5 microns droplets. U ll have very vigorous growth of roots in 3 days.

This way some droplets will also get out and create humidity u want.

Try to make that angle cut below sideway branches, which u ll also cut but this will increase space on stem for roots.

Just get the neopren collars, no wool, no plugs. Reusable. Automatic.

BB22

BB22

I’m a new grower.
Something I’ve noticed the last two times I’ve cloned.

Cut large snip and placed it in a solo cup full of tapwater. It was on my bench. I didn’t have room for it, and I just left it there for about a week. I didn’t do anything to it.

Twice, it has worked really well.
Little, bit a Clonex in a root plug, maybe having them soak in the water for several days helps? I don’t know. 🤷‍♂️

Good luck

Dub_City405

Dub_City405

1. No. Not necessary. I've heard you can try. But I just cut 3 to 5 inch clones dip them in clonex let them sit in the solution for a couple minutes then plug them into your cube.

2. Depends on how healthy the mother is. Usually I keep the vents closed until 50 or 60 % of them root. Then I open it little by little. You want 90% humidity in there until you have all the clones rooted you need.

K

Kamisama

I’m a new grower.
Something I’ve noticed the last two times I’ve cloned.

Cut large snip and placed it in a solo cup full of tapwater. It was on my bench. I didn’t have room for it, and I just left it there for about a week. I didn’t do anything to it.

Twice, it has worked really well.
Little, bit a Clonex in a root plug, maybe having them soak in the water for several days helps? I don’t know. 🤷‍♂️

Good luck
Anaerobic bacterias will cause troubles. Plus it also needs a help, not just clonex but 150-200ppm of nutrients. If u can try mix pure IBA, NAA hormones to clonex as it doesnt have big concentrations.

Yes, soaking in clonex solution at the beginning before puting them in plugs is done too but dont have plugs always in water.
Usually cloning chambers r low pressure aeroponics but that have still big granularity of droplets.
Better is HPA with around 20-25PSI.

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
If you’re using root riots squeeze them a bit to let the excess water out. Angle your cut 45 degrees and directly below a node. 3 days with the dome on and un vented. Mist the dome and give it a fresh air exchange once or twice daily. Crack the domes between day 3-7. Roots should be popping right around now. Vent the domes even more. Don’t over mist the plugs or you won’t have good root growth. The slightest dry back pushes root growth out of the cube. Now you’re ready for planting! I take clones religiously every week for my business. I’ve made mistakes along the way but have it dialed in these days.
IMG 6677
IMG 6678

Johnlandy420

Johnlandy420

Supporter
If you’re using root riots squeeze them a bit to let the excess water out. Angle your cut 45 degrees and directly below a node. 3 days with the dome on and un vented. Mist the dome and give it a fresh air exchange once or twice daily. Crack the domes between day 3-7. Roots should be popping right around now. Vent the domes even more. Don’t over mist the plugs or you won’t have good root growth. The slightest dry back pushes root growth out of the cube. Now you’re ready for planting! I take clones religiously every week for my business. I’ve made mistakes along the way but have it dialed in these days. View attachment 2045388View attachment 2045389
Good advice 👍

K

Kamisama

If you’re using root riots squeeze them a bit to let the excess water out. Angle your cut 45 degrees and directly below a node. 3 days with the dome on and un vented. Mist the dome and give it a fresh air exchange once or twice daily. Crack the domes between day 3-7. Roots should be popping right around now. Vent the domes even more. Don’t over mist the plugs or you won’t have good root growth. The slightest dry back pushes root growth out of the cube. Now you’re ready for planting! I take clones religiously every week for my business. I’ve made mistakes along the way but have it dialed in these days. View attachment 2045388View attachment 2045389
Have u tried fogponics 3-7 microns for cloning, just curious what cycles would u use?

ImpulsiveGrower

ImpulsiveGrower

Supporter
Have u tried fogponics 3-7 microns for cloning, just curious what cycles would u use?
I don’t know a whole lot about aero but this is all you need for a cloning setup. A simple pump that has a manifold with 360 degree sprayers on a 30min on 30 mins off cycle. It’s nothing close to 3-7 microns but does the job very well. 5-7 days I’m having roots pop on most cultivars.

Latest posts

Top Bottom