Cloning before moving to Flower

• Thread starter RickyRicardo
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
R

RickyRicardo

Hello,

Got a question about clones. I failed miserably at cloning (although I have cloned houseplants for years with lots of success). If you take your clones before you move the plants to flowers, how old should the plant be in order to successfully clone it.

My last failed attempts where with 4 week old plants, then tried to clone during flowering. Anyway all clones just wilted away miserably....

I bought a 25 space cloner from Botanicare which I hope will help me have more success. However I think the age of the plants was the issue here, is this possible?

BTW the reason I have moved the plants to flower so early is that I use a Bloombox so I have height limitations.

W

watercooled

No issues with age. Keep trying and searching for how to's on cloning. Best clones, or better stated... cuttings with the most chances of success will be newer growth from the bottom edges of the plant.

Obviously, taking clones during flowering will diminish your chances of success... get them during veg, before they blink into 12/12

Z

zDisturbedz

My first batch came out pretty bad myself. I found this article and it helped me out quite a bit. Also, got a heat mat for the second batch and since then I have had a very high success rate.

Cloning article

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
Ya know what's funny? My very first attempt at cloning and that it worked. I used toilet paper tubes, cut in half and filled with soil, in a translucent storage bin. I did use a rooting hormone, can't remember which one.

E

Element4NorCal

let me just start by saying that the Botanicare power cloning system is amazing if used correctly. Follow the instructions carefully and pay attention to the ph of the water in the cloner everyday. If you plan on using the power clone solution with aquashield the airstones become an important factor in speedy rooting. If you decide to get another rooting product I would recommend House & Gardens Roots Excelurator however if you do use H & G roots you will need to shut off the air stones. H & G gets unstable when used with air stones but is a very high quality product with quality results.

The way the cloning works is that the plants have natural hormones that are present in the plants stems that will allow a cutting of a plant to take root. This can take place without any rooting products being used, however quality rooting products will speed up the process and protect the exposed part of the cutting and new roots from root infections and disease. The younger the plant is the less of these hormones are present also the higher up you go on the plant to take a cutting (tops for example) will have less rooting hormones in them to take root so the may take longer to take root or they may never root at all. It is not a good idea to take clones of flowering plants because the hormones that need to be present to clone effectively have all drained out of the stems to make room for new flowering hormones to push out buds and produce THC.

As a rule of thumb I like to grow my sprouts up for about 2 months and then cut the tops off and get them rooted so i can test for sex. Once sex is determined I would shuffle my grow room around to get more light to stronger females and move males to the edges of the room. While the tops i cut off all the 2 month old seedlings are being rooted under 12/12 they will begin to show sex quicker and once they get closer to the end of flower you can see which plants have desirable characteristics and which do not. Then you can remove unwanted phenotypes and weak males and have a strong garden with top quality mother plants.

Jay Frost

R

RickyRicardo

Conflicting Advice - RE:TEMP

Hey,

I have been reading and receiving conflicting advice regarding the temperature of the solution for Cloning.

I am using an easy cloner and I was told to keep the solution warm to speed up rooting.

Reading some posts on here and people are talking about chilling the water instead.

What is the optimal temperature for a easy cloner style cloner (aeroponic) to initiate rooting?

Seamaiden

Seamaiden

Living dead girl
I use an aeroponic cloner and I keep my temps around 78F or so to keep rooting sped up. Otherwise it slows down. I use no dome or misting, that may play a role in it.

G

gudkarma

i bubble clone with 100% success this way:

1) cut below a node & throw cut in water.

2) take cut to your (clean & ready) work area in cup of water

3) clean your dirty hands, sterilize your razor every time new or not & every couple of cuts too, lay everything on a clean towel, open rooting powder

4) take cut out of water, scrape tissue from a node above cut (area where you will make final cut), THEN make final cut threw node & disguard leftover

5) quickly dip in water & right into the powder (no penis playing, quick)

6) put right in not pot using (WITH) neoprene collar (no hydroton). no scraping off powder or gel (rookie mistake).

7) ph'd TAP water is right at stem level (better) or a little above (best). maybe a drop of superthrive or tea spoon per gal of clonex (one or the other, both is great but not necessary

eight) use several air stones. plenty o' o2 is important. dont be cheap on the stones & pump (your dwc engine). sure you can get by with a hooptee or get a corvette & pay the extra $10 for a unit with 2 or three outlets : & run all three into the clone rez. disloved o2 is the key.

9) dome on, lift off every day, leave off sometimes, always put back on to keep moist.

a) NEVER mist cuttings... be a true OG pimp like me & make those slutty clone whores work for that root money love... in this case water.

seriously ===> MIST ONLY THE DOME & keep it humid !! : that's why we using the dome, right?

10) water temps not important. change water every week & dont not do it. ph'd tap. distilled water is for irons.

11) light : 20/4 (i like) or straight 24 (sometime do this, but prefer 20/4 and then AFTER you bust NICE long & HAIRY ROOTS : drop in your hydroton & off to the races : bump veg up to full 24

12 cut all fan leaves back 1/3 to 1/2 , you can do this after clones are in the rez.

13) wait 4 to 20 days : depends on strain : & play with the dome.

14) did i say work clean?

St3ve

St3ve

Hey,

I have been reading and receiving conflicting advice regarding the temperature of the solution for Cloning.

I am using an easy cloner and I was told to keep the solution warm to speed up rooting.

Reading some posts on here and people are talking about chilling the water instead.

What is the optimal temperature for a easy cloner style cloner (aeroponic) to initiate rooting?

You are reading correct information, just mixing it up a tad.

For cloning, you want the water to be a little warmer than the ambient temps in the room for the stem to help start the roots.

After the roots are formed and the cutting starts vegetative growth, keep the roots (not the stem) cool to help prevent root rot and other problems. Ideal is 68f give or take.

audius

audius

im with jm 420,thats about what i spent on my homemade cloner,,i cant brag enough about it, I WIL NEVER USE RAPADROOTER AGAIN.i use tap water,not phed,& a bottel of powerclone from botanicare. i get roots in 7 days like clockwork. oh,,before i forget,,my temps stay around 72 to 75,,dont wanna go much warmer than that or you might get rot

420blunts

i made clones in 1 inch rockwool 10 days into flowering. first time i ever made babies this late. 10-14 days later had rooted clones with preflower pistils. will find out soon how they respond in veg room. i use clonex liquid & gel - dome n tray. one 54 watt 4ft. floro tube 6 inches above dome for 4 trays. i leave them alone for 10 days then wipe dome and then wipe dome every 2 days until root shows. clone closet temp kept at 78-82. 90+ percent success rate. good luck bro.

Top Bottom