Cloning Black Betty

• Thread starter 1diesel1
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
so, out of all the strains over the years I’ve found her to be the most difficult to clone.
Cloning black betty
this is Mother. As you can tell very healthy and no I did not pull clones off the bottom of her. Half way up to the top. She has since retired and will harvest end of summer.
Cloning black betty 2
this pic is 13 days into clone machine. Every leaf was dark green when cloned now almost all leaves are leaning to fall colors. On average Black Betty I have a 40/60% success rate.
Cloning black betty 3
Cloning black betty 3
Cloning black betty 5
I’m going to base this post on the above pic. She will be a challenge to help survive our journey.
Cloning black betty 6
Cloning black betty 7
Cloning black betty 8
ok, 22 days I’m feeling comfortable enough to transplant. Not all though. Some are still struggling to survive. And for some reason I’m almost at 80% success rate.
Cloning black betty 9
Here she is. Good root base under considering what she looks like up top. Transplant into happy frog medium with azos microbial base. Now I’ll clean her up.
Cloning black betty 10
Cloning black betty 11
i no, not much there to work with. I’ll post her progress, I think I can pull her through.

Cloning black betty 4
1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Have you tried other ways to clone?I have one that's like that in aero.takes forever and almost dead when roots.it roots faster in the root riot and stays healthier under humidity.
I’ve tried the clone X and your standard cubes in a bubble. Had the same results in booth. All my other strains are usually rooted and ready to transplant from the clone X in 13-15 days. The Betty always takes longer in booth significantly longer in cubes and not even near a success rate as the clone X. I do keep temps at 72-75F and humidity at 55-60%. I’ll give the root riot a shot. Thanks for the advice Heisen.

H

heisen

Keep them a little drier than normal.my wed cake cut would only root in the peat pellets and they had to be a little drier.

Some strains I have seem to not care either way.the root riots always work faster.i usually have roots on the 7th day with the white powder and tap water.
My aero cloner always takes the longest and the cuts look like crap when they root.
One thing also give the plant alot of P before you take cuts.i noticed a while back cuts root fast as shit when I take them from flowering moms.like roots in 4 days fast.
Give your mom a flower nute boost before u take cuts.

Forgot to mention also I get roots faster in the summer than the winter cause the floor is warm so I got a small 2x4 tent and a fan controller just for rooting cuts and set the temp to 84.they love it in the domes with warm temps

M

MamaBear

I've got a mom that cuts don't want to root - takes forever!
I find they root faster if you keep them on the dry side. Too much water and they are happy to stay as they are. Need to let them go dry sometimes to FORCE them to make roots (go looking for water). Some cuts won't root unless they think they gonna die. Mine look almost dead when they finally pop a root.

Try to take cuts from young, soft green tips. Any woodiness to the stems will delay rooting.
Your cuts look like they just end . . . no node left at the bottom. I cut just below a node, strip the leaves and dip it. Roots form faster from a node.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
I've got a mom that cuts don't want to root - takes forever!
I find they root faster if you keep them on the dry side. Too much water and they are happy to stay as they are. Need to let them go dry sometimes to FORCE them to make roots (go looking for water). Some cuts won't root unless they think they gonna die. Mine look almost dead when they finally pop a root.

Try to take cuts from young, soft green tips. Any woodiness to the stems will delay rooting.
Your cuts look like they just end . . . no node left at the bottom. I cut just below a node, strip the leaves and dip it. Roots form faster from a node.
Thanks mamabear I’ll give it a shot.

Pulled the last of Betty clones. Got some nice roots.
C3F1B4C4 BCE5 4D68 8518 A35CD38D47AA
DE9B4D05 5F08 4C1A 95F9 CAAB57CD852C
7045B7DA 3108 4E38 9896 BBC088CFC3CA
All the fall colors are starting to fade on the first clones pulled. Especially the purple colors. I do give mom nutes 3 days before pulling cuts. I’m starting to think I should add a minute flavor of P and K to the clone solution during clones rooting. Could it possibly be a nutrient deficiency the cuttings are going through during the beginning of root buildup? I usually clone 5 strains at the same time and Betty is the only one with this issue.
BBD518C2 14F7 41BD 9173 6C2967523F91
shes still alive. Keeping my fingers crossed. She’s my summer clone challenge.

M

MamaBear

If your soil is even half-way decent, they will be fine until you see a few new leaves.

Cuts are feeding off their own leaves while they begin rooting - causing what looks like deficiencies. Besides being solar-panels, they are handy packets of nutrients the plant can grab when it needs it. As they suck each leaf of it's goodies, it will turn yellow and dry up. You did nothing wrong.

Hard-to-root ones are usually too lazy to go find food (grow roots) as long as they have a free source (big leaves and plenty of water). Reminds me of my brother.

Sorry man, she just a lazy hog. If she's worth keeping, just accept her the way she is. Some strains have their quirks.
:joyful:

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
If your soil is even half-way decent, they will be fine until you see a few new leaves.

Cuts are feeding off their own leaves while they begin rooting - causing what looks like deficiencies. Besides being solar-panels, they are handy packets of nutrients the plant can grab when it needs it. As they suck each leaf of it's goodies, it will turn yellow and dry up. You did nothing wrong.

Hard-to-root ones are usually too lazy to go find food (grow roots) as long as they have a free source (big leaves and plenty of water). Reminds me of my brother.

Sorry man, she just a lazy hog. If she's worth keeping, just accept her the way she is. Some strains have their quirks.
:joyful:
Thanks, makes total sense. She is worth keeping.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Betty’s are doing well. The mother went outside she’s having a hard time adjusting to the elements. I’m still trying to tune her in. Here’s the clones. These will veg till the summer harvest is dry end of October or beginning of November. Hoping to have the new grow room and greenhouse completed by than.
BCEB3B46 4A5E 4C18 B602 3A9C2CBEEB2C
1D1s been a bad dog. Here’s his grow dungeon.
C73590AB 6CD9 4BB6 8CC9 E0F9B633EEF1
he needs to get off his fat tail and CLEAN IT UP!! Shut down the ID for the summer. Garage grow is not properly insulated $ out da door.

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Mama Black Betty seems to be bouncing back in the last week and 1/2.
She was put in the ground a month after the rest. Starting to green up better at the tips. Yellow is fading.
81C73472 64F1 496D 8F6D 511BBFE9D474
D7C5069E C5FE 44B6 A95A 36DB23A38E41
any tips on helping her out would be appreciated! I have been feeding her cha-Ching 9-50-10. My soil composition should be kicking in about now. I hope.

R

redlife215

Wow buddy u need some help there lol. Those 3 point leaves look like og leaves. U def need a growers advice looks like u are new to this lol. If i could give u any advice id say lay off the cha ching, i dont know who wulda told u to hit her with that in the 1st place no need for that heavy of chem nutes during transition u can do fine top dressing bonemeal. But hey what do i know my plants are only 9ft tall and super healthy

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
You, again! Lol. Thanks for the advice and not being a dick. Hay you seen gnome around here?

1diesel1

1diesel1

Staff
Supporter
Wow buddy u need some help there lol. Those 3 point leaves look like og leaves. U def need a growers advice looks like u are new to this lol. If i could give u any advice id say lay off the cha ching, i dont know who wulda told u to hit her with that in the 1st place no need for that heavy of chem nutes during transition u can do fine top dressing bonemeal. But hey what do i know my plants are only 9ft tall and super healthy
Chaching outdoor, no chaching indoor, Lol

R

redlife215

The 3 point leaves arent a problem, i was referring to the chaching u said u put in ur soil full terms. Bone meal liquid or powder is much better for transitioning into flower better then any high p synthetic and it is more forgiving then a synthetic and wont cause any problems. That plant looks weak and adding some 50p chem fert isnt gonna help her. Ease her back to life with organics but mostly jus try to het a good bioherd in the rhozosphere and if u really got ur soil analysis and amended then u should be fine on food till she starts looking like an actual living plant. Im not gonna kick u while ur down and i never had any problem with u other then ur trolling and acting like i was lying about my farms

R

redlife215

Is the black betty an og? Cus if its hard to clone and has the 3 pointers id def assume she is. Also if u want her to root faster scrape the skin a lil bit off the tip before u dip her in gel

Top Bottom