cloning branches

• Thread starter Dunge
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
Dunge

Dunge

I have neglected some plants in veg, and they are too big for my needs.
I am looking for advise on how I might get away with cloning some large stems.
My current skill level allows me to reliably root cuttings in Rapid Rooters, Dip & Grow, heat pad, & twice daily water dip. All other methods attempted turn me into a plant killer.
I could try the same thing with branches, but the mechanics would be daunting.
I would love to hear from fellow farmers experience with rooting woody stems.

urbanfog

urbanfog

from my experience just take your cutting, scrap the stem and dip. Then add to whatever cloning device you are using. I have taken large stalks before, just took longer to root.

MakinGoo

MakinGoo

A branch would b 2 big 2 keep from wilting.. A cutting is way better b'cuz it's smaller & can hold in its moister.. That's y u cut as much leafs off ur cutting so the small cutting can hold in the moister.. That's y mist the cutting every day cuz it don't have roots & need 2 stay moist 2 stay alive.. I branch would have a hard time holding enough moister 2 stay alive..

My boy tried 2 clone a branch b4 & I told him it won't work but he wanted 2 try 4 himself & sure enough it didn't work..

U would b better 2 cut the branch in2 lots of smaller cuttings or 1 nice size cut but not a branch..

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
U would b better 2 cut the branch in2 lots of smaller cuttings or 1 nice size cut but not a branch..

Yep you can cut them up
Check out this fat stem I rooted

LOLclone

o_O

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Since I just got another like on that post above, I will go take a update photo of that stem above.
oh.. and Thanks for the Likes :)

Here it is..Its been in the garage Kinda cold. Not growing much. But still kicken..
I was really just experimenting..I like to experiment. ;)
Just now took the fan leaf
Stemclone
off
Looks like the top is growing :D

Oldsam

Oldsam

Ken have u ever grown tomatoes u can take the whole plant put it under dirt just leave some of the foliage sticking up for light absorbtion and the whole stem will grow roots from it.
Look at the stem with a magnifying glass u will see the little white hairs they grow into roots.
Another words u could put that whole stem under soil with the leaves sticking up and it will grow.
Try it out.

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Cool OldSam; I like your sig.
I have tried that while Pruning bottom growth, Cause I hate throwing cuttings away..lol..Gotta though.
I guess maybe the dirt wasn't wet enough.
I have plenty of #5 cuts....Dont really "Need" this one.
.but Im gonna keep this one cause its strange...lol

101 Runner

101 Runner

cut, scrape, dip n grow, growdan cube, and und%er the dome with a heat pad=new baby in 7-10 days depending on humidity levels..try to get upper of 60%

Oldsam

Oldsam

Yes the moisture level of the soil is very important,think Jungle not wet,
but the moisture is always present.

chief greenthum

chief greenthum

If you get a 4 inch rock wool block you could just clone the whole branch and be ready to flip into flower in another couple weeks. Thatd be cool. Or make a shit ton of baby clones. Better idea. Chief

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
Here is that Dumb looking stem clone.o_O

Stemclone4 27

was kinda a Fail.
Really did not grow very fast compared to others I took the same day.
Stemclonecomparision

But I keep it, because Its strange. :D

Botanikos

Botanikos

How does sticking the clone in the dirt compare to a clone machine?

caregiverken

caregiverken

Fear Not!
Supporter
How does sticking the clone in the dirt compare to a clone machine?
You mean Soil, Right? ;)
Im kinda new...but I don't think They compare very well at all.
Soil will take much longer...I would imagine...never tryed it...Never mind...One of these guys will know...I don;t
Blazed

LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

Man all ya gotta do is scrap the layer off to put your cloning gel/powder on the scrapped area, then get some pantyhose and cover it with soil and tie the pantyhose to keep the soil in place. Then just water it and you will see roots through the pantyhose so then you can cut right below where the roots are and you have a big clone/plant.

LSY

drunknbass

drunknbass

From my limited cloning ive had better luck with sm/med size cuttings.
From the bigger ones ove tried they either dont root right, root and then get funky, or root and grow stupid. I would have thought the bigger the stem the less likely it would be to hook, but actually a little anti wilt right when cut and into an aero cloner with no dome and stems/roots just chillin out the bottom does the trick.

LetsSeeYa

LetsSeeYa

Sorry i was not to step-by-step, but i was in a rush. I grew Bonsai tress for 15 years, till i grew out my first MJ plant and fell in luv with it, much faster reward, lol. Anyway i used this to make a tree from a branch, which can be used here, it just takes some time. But it very easy to do and like other poster said, ''you can see bumps on plants stem's'' so easy to root. You could do a bunch to thin out your mom's and then you would have big clones so this will cut your veg time down once you know it has a good root structure.

LSY

El Cerebro

El Cerebro

I have one cut that will root like nobody's business even with woody stems. For media I prefer straight coco to anything else, on a warming pad under a misted dome. One thing that should help a lot is carefully stripping away outer layer and dip in IBA solution - the dip N grow 101 mentioned above (indole aminobutyric acid, can buy bulk online for using in your res too = many roots). The woodier the cut, the higher concentration you make the solution, dipngrow has decent instructions.

WalterWhiteFire

WalterWhiteFire

I have never used it on cannabis but in the commercial greenhouse we use a anti transpiration spray... It would forsure keep a big bracnch from wilting long enough for some roots... Any one used a NO WILT product????

Latest posts

Top Bottom