Cloning directly into soil: Should I remove the domes once they are acclimated? Or keep them on no matter what?

• Thread starter optical
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
optical

optical

Hi all, novice here, tried to be somewhat descriptive in the topic but full scenario is like this:

Took cuts last Saturday. They wilted extremely quickly without a dome, so I kept dome on them, but removed it a few times per day to spray with super mild solution of water, stella maris (kelp), and aloe which they seemed to love. Fast forward and it's now Thursday, and they no longer appear to need the dome at all. I'm still spraying twice a day with the mixture I made and they are 100% full color, standing at full attention and look perfectly healthy.

My question is - do I leave the dome on them even though they seem to be climatized now?

Should I still be giving them that high humidity from the dome on the warming mat until day 14? (I heard it takes up to 2 weeks to root)

Lastly a related question - on which day would you officially move them into the 18/6 veg tent? They are just sitting on a heating pad near a windowsill so far

Thanks again !

Z

Zill

Optical,

When you made the cuttings you did dress the cutting with a rooting hormone, Ga3, correct.

Cuttings experience water deficit the second the cut is made. It should be cut dusted with a root hormone and immediately stuck in moist rooting soil. Cover, sure. Eliminate all sources of stress. Water stress is huge for cuttings. But as soon as they seem to perk up remove the covers.

optical

optical

Optical,

When you made the cuttings you did dress the cutting with a rooting hormone, Ga3, correct.

Cuttings experience water deficit the second the cut is made. It should be cut dusted with a root hormone and immediately stuck in moist rooting soil. Cover, sure. Eliminate all sources of stress. Water stress is huge for cuttings. But as soon as they seem to perk up remove the covers.

Hello, Zill! Thank you for responding!

So, when I made the cuts, I dipped them into a pink powder called Pro-Mix Stim-Root:

On the bottoms of the stems, where they were cut on an angle, and lightly scratched. It sticks to the stem, and then I inserted that into the fully moist soil

They required the domes, at least in the beginning - without them, they went limp and quite literally flopped over - I was worried they were dead or something but putting the domes back made quick work of saving them

From that point on, I sprayed a couple times a day, and let them breathe natural air for increasingly longer periods, and now they appear to not need the domes at all

So I should remove it then?

Thanks again!

B

Budclarkson

Hello, Zill! Thank you for responding!

So, when I made the cuts, I dipped them into a pink powder called Pro-Mix Stim-Root: View attachment 2138450

On the bottoms of the stems, where they were cut on an angle, and lightly scratched. It sticks to the stem, and then I inserted that into the fully moist soil

They required the domes, at least in the beginning - without them, they went limp and quite literally flopped over - I was worried they were dead or something but putting the domes back made quick work of saving them

From that point on, I sprayed a couple times a day, and let them breathe natural air for increasingly longer periods, and now they appear to not need the domes at all

So I should remove it then?

Thanks again!

Which soil did you use to start these?

Please explain the kelp and aloe thing…

Top Bottom