Cloning experiences and tips sharing thread

• Thread starter StaticEmmanuel
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
BigBlonde

BigBlonde

Not likely as far as the rooting hormone. It's probably something in the process you're using. Anyway, here's a 24 site cloner for $105 on Amazon.
It's tempting and probably would be fun. I already have more seeds than I can use in a year or two.

Cloning is an excellent way to get full value out of every seed since you can take 1 seed and then run hundreds of clones off the mother.
Oh, I understand and there are some I'd love to keep going. I don't have much capacity--only 3 or 4 plants at a time. If I win a free light or something I might get motivated to get my 4x4 tent going again.

Xhale

Xhale

s. So far, I've tried and failed about half a dozen times. I've wondered if I might be using the wrong type of rooting hormone for cannabi
I agree with @MIGrampaUSA, you're probably got something wrong in your cloning mission. I suggest you investigate:
- air humidity around the cutting: are you using a humidity dome and airing it out regularly?
- temperature around your plant
- very important if not the most important: cleanliness and hygene
- weak to medium light for 15+ hours/day because you don't want the chlorophyl/leaves to work hard until the root is well established. just enough light to keep it awake. Think of a fairly distant street light shining through your window versus your bedroom light when you trying to sleep...the street lamp is enough to irritate you constantly.

I went through a 3month phase a few years ago where I took a clone almost everyday when I got home from work, up to 10 cuttings per week ;) I ran 2 mother plants and wasn't strict about alternating the cuttings between them, but it was about 50% split overall. Both mothers grew SOOOO WELL and bushy due to the constant trimming. I learnt a huge amount about the SCROG for the mothers, cloning process, and SOG for the clones. i gave away clones, destroyed them, forgot about them, and harvested a huge amount as well:)

Honestly: my environment was not always the cleanest and I probably lost a number of cuttings due to unnecessary disease, but I didn't care as I had toooo many survivors.

freezeland2

freezeland2

I agree with @MIGrampaUSA, you're probably got something wrong in your cloning mission. I suggest you investigate:
- air humidity around the cutting: are you using a humidity dome and airing it out regularly?
- temperature around your plant
- very important if not the most important: cleanliness and hygene
- weak to medium light for 15+ hours/day because you don't want the chlorophyl/leaves to work hard until the root is well established. just enough light to keep it awake. Think of a fairly distant street light shining through your window versus your bedroom light when you trying to sleep...the street lamp is enough to irritate you constantly.

I went through a 3month phase a few years ago where I took a clone almost everyday when I got home from work, up to 10 cuttings per week ;) I ran 2 mother plants and wasn't strict about alternating the cuttings between them, but it was about 50% split overall. Both mothers grew SOOOO WELL and bushy due to the constant trimming. I learnt a huge amount about the SCROG for the mothers, cloning process, and SOG for the clones. i gave away clones, destroyed them, forgot about them, and harvested a huge amount as well:)

Honestly: my environment was not always the cleanest and I probably lost a number of cuttings due to unnecessary disease, but I didn't care as I had toooo many survivors.
Where you make your cut and apply the rooting compound is very important and probably overlooked by those just beginning cloning. A 45 degree cut about a 1/4 to 1/2 below a node and then into the rooting hormone.

Xhale

Xhale

Where you make your cut and apply the rooting compound is very important and probably overlooked by those just beginning cloning. A 45 degree cut about a 1/4 to 1/2 below a node and then into the rooting hormone.
:) you are absolutely not wrong. In my almost 3 months of daily cloning I found that cleanliness, temperature and specifically humidity controls are the keys. in fact: "Clean humidity dome" sums it all up for me.

I tried:
- all types of cuts: breaking the branch off, 45 degree, straight cut, small and big branches
- various cloning mediums: different powders that are not specific to cannabis, honey, aloe plants, just a cup of water...the aloe failed, but I only tried it once.
- coconut coir, those cloning plugs, jiffy things which are basically coconut coir in an expandable wrap, florists green stuff, and normal potting soil
=>to my belief, the successes came with managing a clean humidity dome for the first week or 2, and secondarily was to manage the temperature on winter nights. and believe me: "clean" was not 'medically clean' :) I was too lazy or in-the-couch for that!

I see the last question and response regarding CloneX. I honestly believe that this is a marketing machine to get our $$$. but the overwhelming response from our community (this forum and others) is that CloneX makes a huge postive difference.
Me = just grow a good mother and take extra clones to ensure a good success % I'm a hobbyist, not a commercial canna-farmer

Xhale

Xhale

That should read 1/4 to 1/2 inch below a node and remove the growth on that node. Roots will emerge there.
Yes! The roots will develop at/around the nodes. so you need that bit of stem below the node. as always, a new branch or 2 will try to grow at the node -> cut it off but not too close to the main stem. Leave a few milimeters of the new branch...literally milimeters! and apply the rooting stuff of choice from the bottom tip of your cutting until about 1/2 to 1/4 inch above that node. and have about the bottom 1 to 2 inches of the cutting under the soil/water/medium of choice => I say 1or2 inches, it really depends on the size of the cutting, you don't want a large cutting to fall-over so give it more depth; or you don't want the entire small cutting to be under-ground so give it less depth.

MidwestCannaman

MidwestCannaman

@BigBlonde I've tried all kinds of rooting hormones and have always gone right back to dip-n-grow. It has ALWAYS worked way better than any of the other rooting hormones. It also is alcohol based which helps disinfect your cuts for better success rates. I highly recommend trying it if your having issues getting cuts to root!

omni

omni

This is my preferred method of cloning, which I have been using for two years with great success. The only time my clones failed to root was when I made mistakes. Over time, I have improved the process by incorporating some modifications.

To ensure that you obtain perfect, healthy, and green clones, follow these steps:

1. Soak your cubes in full strength nutrients (whatever you were feeding the mom).
  2. Start burping the bags 1-2 times a day for about 10 minutes on day 5
  3. On day 7, use the sharp end of a dab tool to make a single hole through both sides of the bag.
  4. Additionally, I always submerge my clones in my ipm solution before bagging to protect them from powdery mildew.
When transplanting the clones into a solo cup, they will be hardened off from the burping and hole poke, but they may still droop due to the transplant shock. You can try removing the bag a couple of hours after transplant, but if they still droop, wait another 24 hours before trying again.

With my method, I have been able to successfully root Ghost OG from All-Star Clones in 9-10 days every time

I like root riot/rapid rooters and hormex no.8, or clonex

Last edited:
Sunasun

Sunasun

Lol, I was so cheap, they had them on clearance at Wal-Mart for three dollars each two seasons ago. Wasn't gonna spend 20 on clonex.

Mikedin

Mikedin

Staff
Supporter
My cloning is experience is limited I’ve done mabye 80 clones total, one thing for sure, don’t cheap out, don’t buy substitutes, get cloneX if you’re rooting in soil, I’ve tried powders and other gels and had decent success but when I use clonex my success rate is near 100% I’ll never use any other rooting hormone

I will give aero cloning a try soon as well but I like seeing those roots pop out in soil personally 😁

Latest posts

Top Bottom