Cloning Help, Roots started but droopy/def?

• Thread starter letsgro
  • Start date
  • Tagged users None
letsgro

letsgro

Looking for some help here with my first attempt at cloning.
Roots started on day 11, currently day 15.
RO Water + hydroguard has been 73-74 deg/5.5-6.1ph.
Room has been at 76 deg/82% RH, bumped down to 75% today.

The newest growth was drooping early on, perked back up, and now they are clawing pretty badly and there's discoloration in a few of the older leaves.

I am wondering if I should start feeding while they finish developing a root system large enough to move to buckets. Any help is appreciated, thanks.

Cloning help roots started but droopydef 4

Cloning help roots started but droopydef 2

Cloning help roots started but droopydef

Cloning help roots started but droopydef 3

Dr.B

Dr.B

Too much leaf!

You have to tip the leaves of clones. (Cutting the fingers of the fan back at least 60%) also remove all lower growth sites and leaves but the very top at the time of cloning. Cutting back the leaves and removing growth sites causes the plants to want to grow roots... Less leaf to absorb moisture from the air. Its a survival mechanism.

These were slow clones but they are focussing on roots right now.

IMG 20200714 194247
Anthem

Anthem

Too much leaf!

You have to tip the leaves of clones. (Cutting the fingers of the fan back at least 60%) also remove all lower growth sites and leaves but the very top at the time of cloning. Cutting back the leaves and removing growth sites causes the plants to want to grow roots... Less leaf to absorb moisture from the air. Its a survival mechanism.

These were slow clones but they are focussing on roots right now.
While you can trim the fan leaves, it is not needed. There is actually a study that found leaving the whole leaf in place produces better rooting results and faster rooting. Your problem is a lack of humidity in the cloning space. They need near 100 percent humidity the first 5 days and than you can slowly start lowering the humidity.

Dr.B

Dr.B

While you can trim the fan leaves, it is not needed. There is actually a study that found leaving the whole leaf in place produces better rooting results and faster rooting. Your problem is a lack of humidity in the cloning space. They need near 100 percent humidity the first 5 days and than you can slowly start lowering the humidity.
You don't dome air cloners. I respect your opinion but disagree. I'd love to read this study if you can still find a link to it.

Anthem

Anthem

You don't dome air cloners. I respect your opinion but disagree. I'd love to read this study if you can still find a link to it.
It was actually a podcast, I do not remember the gentleman's name but I do remember he is employed by Botanicare and does research for that company. I want say it was shaping fire but I spent like an hour trying to find it. Basically the study showed the following. Best number of fan leafs was 3, taking clones from different parts of the plant did not change the rooting time and the last part cutting the leaves back prolonged rooting time. Claim was that the damaged caused by cutting the leaf did more harm than good. I have tried it both ways and I do not really see a difference.
In regards to the plants in the pictures, I am aware you do not put typically use a dome with an air cloner. Plants in picture and showing a lack of water inside the plant some humidity in the room or a dome would help relive the plants IMO

Dr.B

Dr.B

It was actually a podcast, I do not remember the gentleman's name but I do remember he is employed by Botanicare and does research for that company. I want say it was shaping fire but I spent like an hour trying to find it. Basically the study showed the following. Best number of fan leafs was 3, taking clones from different parts of the plant did not change the rooting time and the last part cutting the leaves back prolonged rooting time. Claim was that the damaged caused by cutting the leaf did more harm than good. I have tried it both ways and I do not really see a difference.
In regards to the plants in the pictures, I am aware you do not put typically use a dome with an air cloner. Plants in picture and showing a lack of water inside the plant some humidity in the room or a dome would help relive the plants IMO
So I have to take your word for it then? 😉😜 if theres no difference either way... Why deliberately complicate the answer?

stanknugzz77

stanknugzz77

I'll plug a few and leave them untrimmed the next time I clone. I'm betting they grow botrytis before they grow roots lol. I'll try it though.
Whilst I agree that trimming larger leaves assists a plant in focusing on root development, rather than wasting energy on photosynthesis, sometimes it is unnecessary if a cutting does not have larger fan leaves. Also, Botrytis spores would already need to be present in your grow for your plants to be infected by it. Positive vibes...

~nugzz

Dr.B

Dr.B

Whilst I agree that trimming larger leaves assists a plant in focusing on root development, rather than wasting energy on photosynthesis, sometimes it is unnecessary if a cutting does not have larger fan leaves. Also, Botrytis spores would already need to be present in your grow for your plants to be infected by it. Positive vibes...

~nugzz
"Also, Botrytis spores would already need to be present in your grow for your plants to be infected by it. Positive vibes..."

Being aware of that and not suffering from this problem, I felt it spoke more to the odds of an untrimmed clone even coming close to the development speed of a trimmed clone. 😉

Out

*Nice ass lol

Last edited:
mancorn

mancorn

I remove the little lower leaves, but don’t cut down the other leaves. I don’t spray the leaves directly, so figure it's better to have the full leaf for food. Seems to me the plant stays greener and show roots day 10. I’m not doing hundreds and hundreds, so no big expert, but don’t notice that not trimming is a problem.

29F336EB 8106 4502 9E93 A713E465D906

letsgro

letsgro

Thanks for all of the feedback. It seemed like people were successful trimming and others not trimming leaf tips, which these responses have seemed to confirm. I think next attempt I will do variations and take some detailed notes, maybe make a thread.

Top Bottom